Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm planning to get a 1025R TLB from my local dealer next week (he's getting it on the lot so I can drive it first). This will be my first tractor, so I'm new to all of this. I'm having the dealer install the starter wheel weights but not getting a MMM as I already have a ZTR.

Reading many posts on this forum convinced me that I need a set of forks. I'm planning to go with 36" forks as I think the smaller size will be easier to maneuver and it's not a huge property. A lot of the older posts are concerned about weight but, as of 2021, I'm not seeing a lot of difference there. Current options I can see below (weights are best I can find for the frame + 2 36" forks):
  • Titan 50" frame with 36" forks. 276 lbs, $624 (online) (updated weight)
  • Frontier AP10F, 36" forks, 170 lbs $750 (local dealer)
  • HLA HD0936, 36" forks, 190 lbs, $849 (GWT)
  • Artillian 3000# frame, 36" forks, 190 lbs, $1,034 (online)
Given this, there seems to be no strong reason to go with the HLA or the Artillian. The AP10F appears the lightest, while the Titan is $126 cheaper and includes a hitch for 30 more lbs (now 106 lbs after update). I understand that the Artillian would let me attach a 3-part grapple later but I'm currently not seeing a lot of use for that, plus it's an expensive upgrade.

Looking like AP10F is the one (after edit)

Would greatly appreciate comments (on this issue or others) from the members here who have more experience than I do. If any info above is incorrect, LMK and I'll update the original post.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I have the Artillian and it is great...Way more strength than needed. I would go with the AP10F if that is all one piece. I am kinda tired at picking up the Artillian to put it together...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Another to consider is Express Steel

Multiple threads on here about pallet forks. And Titan products.

If you buy the Frontier forks you can roll them into your tractor purchase. Don’t forget wheel weights/filled tires and rear ballast. Minimum requirements for ballast are listed in your FEL owners manual. Don’t take a shortcut on your ballast.

·
Registered
721 Posts
i have the frontier. its on the tractor more than any other implement. it would be nice if it had a headache rack, because the loader curls as you raise it, and the payload could fall back onto that expensive plastic hood. a headache rack reduces the probability.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,829 Posts
I have a set of Titan 42's. The reason they're heavier than the others is because they're 4" wide tines vs 3" for the others. I've been looking for some 3" tines but haven't come across any on the used market. I have a cousin that's a certified Toyota forklift mechanic and even he hasn't come across any at his shop.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have the Titan 36"ers. They work great and I have no complaints, especially considering the price.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I'm planning to get a 1025R TLB from my local dealer next week (he's getting it on the lot so I can drive it first). This will be my first tractor, so I'm new to all of this. I'm having the dealer install the starter wheel weights but not getting a MMM as I already have a ZTR.

Reading many posts on this forum convinced me that I need a set of forks. I'm planning to go with 36" forks as I think the smaller size will be easier to maneuver and it's not a huge property. A lot of the older posts are concerned about weight but, as of 2021, I'm not seeing a lot of difference there. Current options I can see below (weights are best I can find for the frame + 2 36" forks):
  • Titan 50" frame with 36" forks.200 lbs, $624 (online)
  • Frontier AP10F, 36" forks, 170 lbs $750 (local dealer)
  • HLA HD0936, 36" forks, 190 lbs, $849 (GWT)
  • Artillian 3000# frame, 36" forks, 190 lbs, $1,034 (online)
Given this, there seems to be no strong reason to go with the HLA or the Artillian. The AP10F appears the lightest, while the Titan is $126 cheaper and includes a hitch for 30 more lbs. I understand that the Artillian would let me attach a 3-part grapple later but I'm currently not seeing a lot of use for that, plus it's an expensive upgrade.

Would greatly appreciate comments (on this issue or others) from the members here who have more experience than I do. If any info above is incorrect, LMK and I'll update the original post.
Unless something has changed that I don't know about, the Titan's weight listed is for the frame only, I think the forks are another 80# for the 36"ers.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I have Artillian 42"

rob

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,829 Posts
Unless something has changed that I don't know about, the Titan's weight listed is for the frame only, I think the forks are another 80# for the 36"ers.
The standard Titan frame is 96 lbs, 36" tines are 80 lbs each, 42" are 90 each.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I also have a Titan with 36s. No complaints. They do what I want them too.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My AP10f's worked fine in picking up the 600# plow from my truck which was their first task.

I chose them only because I could get them quicker than anyone else. My dealer had only the AP11f's but a neighboring one had the 10f's on sale for $700 so I took them. Downside is they are likely made offshore.

We entertained taking a ride up to MA to visit friends and pick up a set of Artillians but some other issues came up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Went through the whole over-analysis of frames and forks thing. Couldn't handle the cost of the Artillian. Didn't want to deal with drop shipping or the lottory of Titan products. Live in an area where trucks cannot easily get in. Wanted light, relatively inexpensive, and with a HA rack.

I found some that seemingly met those criteria and dealers that supposedly could take delivery but I could not get the manufacturers, regional distributers, or dealers to answer calls or ever give me a price less even order one. I sent dozens of emails and made lots of calls. They simply weren't interested in selling me one.

Ended up back at the dealer for the AP10s and really they're really quite adequate and light though I miss the HA rack. I'll make one at some point. Should have wrapped it into the tractor purchase but it's not that big of a deal.

BTW, I was determined to get 36 inch forks for a myriad of imagined reasons but ended up getting the 42 inch and they haven't hindered anything I've done (brush, logs, lifting, spearing, dumping into my trailer). I had heard of issues with dumping being difficult with 42s but I can't say it's been an issue. Happy I went with 42 inch and they're long enough to monitor them from the seat.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'll second the AP10F. I was also looking at Artillian but was to expensive for me and I like the fact I don't have to "put it together" if using it's modular design. Kind of a pain.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Get the frontiers with financing. Its only about $10 a month. Cant beat that.

Reactions: Wj80 and Mackford13

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the titan 36". my problem with it is the locking pins aren't that great. if all you do is pick stuff up like actual pallets of stuff, logs or brush its ok. If you use them for digging, like say good sized rocks or stumps they tend to move around a bit. titans need lock notch near center which is easy to grind out. don't over think it, I don't use them as much as I thought I would. many times I'll just use the bucket + chain hooks + chain to move the occasional log or even branches. few weeks ago I had branch pile, made a pile and wrapped chain around them and dragged them away on the drawbar.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I have the 36" USA made Artillian w/ backrest. Great all around. Chris did an awesome job when he designed them. Backrest unpins in seconds and forks slide off so i can slide on plow attachment point. Separated parts including carriage all easily carried by hand.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ive got the Frontier 42's. Wrapped them into the tractor loan. Gotta say I have used them much more than any other implement.

I did bend my frame trying to pop out a dogwood stump. I had the forks dug into the ground under the stump and was leaning on them very heavily and bent the frame. I was able to straighten the frame back but definitely wished I had a heavier frame than I do.

With that said I have only wished I had shorter forks for digging in the dirt with the forks. most of the time I wished I had 50 or even 60" forks for when I was carrying brush with them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm the weirdo as I have the titan 42's (absolutley no issues with them) but hardly ever use them as I have a grapple. I do however use the trailer hitch attachment all the time for moving trailers around and that is super useful (this to me is a HUGE selling point of the titan's over the others). For the couple of times I have used the forks I wish I would have gotten the 36 inch vs the 42.

FYI these are the cheaper (made in china) titans...I had zero issues with the order process or delivery (they dropped the pallet in my driveway). Some people have had a negative experience but mine was perfect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just checked the site, the frame is 96 lbs and the forks are 90 lbs each. I missed that "each" the first time. Will update the original post.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts