Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snow will be flying before we know it. I see on craigslist and facebook used 54" john deere blades with the quick hitch on them. They don't necessarily come off of a 1025r, but will they all fit the quick hitch i put on the tractor side?

·
Super Moderator
2,167 Posts
My understanding is the blade and QH is the same, with the exception of the hose lengths. Different series, different hose lengths, but easily changeable. The adaptor bracket to get the QH to mount to the tractor is not the same between series.

·
Administrator
17,944 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet! So this should work if i get the correct 1025r side quick hitch. I may have to add hydraulic hose length tho.

9WBgibT.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,167 Posts
That's for an older 300 series garden tractor, not a quick hitch for the 1 series.

Hers a picture of my QH blade....

View attachment 647180

And what it looks like on the quick hitch & tractor....

View attachment 647182

Not great angles in the pics, but you can see the differences.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,095 Posts
Sweet! So this should work if i get the correct 1025r side quick hitch. I may have to add hydraulic hose length tho.

View attachment 647176

You'd need a complete QuickHitch an angling kit, upstop kit and mounts for the QuickHitch that attach to your tractor.

The plow in that pic has the old 300-series mounting system, not a QuickHitch. Essentially the only useful part to you on that unit is the moldboard which you can buy brand new for $450.

·
Super Moderator
2,167 Posts
you use the blade with no front weights?
Correct. Last winter I didn't use weights of any kind at all. When we had 4-6" of snow I plowed without traction problems. But the 2) 10" snow falls we had, I lost traction a couple times on my neighbors drive, on his off-camber inclined area of the drive. I mounted the 72 lb starter weights this year. We'll see if that provides enough weight. If not, I'll add more.

Another note, I plow gravel drives and our road, so I added a piece of 2" pipe to the edge. Plows without disturbing the gravel much, and plows the yard without tearing up the grass.

View attachment 647184

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
Whew! Thanks guys for all the info. Stopped me from buying a $800 paper weight!
try jd's machine finder--had been lots of new old stock 54 inch plows on there to look at. now bad thing is oh-probably gonna have some shipping to them-oh. never know-might find one in ur back door.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another note, I plow gravel drives and our road, so I added a piece of 2" pipe to the edge. Plows without disturbing the gravel much, and plows the yard without tearing up the grass.
View attachment 647184
What a great idea. How is the pipe attached to the blade? Friction fit with the bolts on each end?

·
Super Moderator
2,167 Posts
The intent was to be friction fit and I got it pretty close. I used a chalk line to lay out a 1" gap to cut out, then cut it with a sawzall. Tried to follow the lines as best as possible and used a grinder to clean up and get the narrow areas wider. In the end I think it was close to 1"-1 1/8" gap. The back of the blade has that 'V' with a tail piece welded on, and the bolts that hold the black cutting edge on go through that tail, and the nuts are attached to the bolts. The nuts will keep the pipe from being able to come off vertically.

It's not perfect as far as friction fit. I had to grind some on the edges just to get the pipe to slide all the way on, and when I use it, it slides a little left and right. I put the bolts at about 3/4" from the end of the blade with the intention that they would pinch the pipe tighter to the blade, but that didn't work. The bolts can't put enough force on the pipe to do any good, but they do keep the pipe from being able to slide off. When I do my next one, I'll put the bolts so they barely clear the blade, and that will minimize side to side shift.

View attachment 647346

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the details. I may have to try something similar. I always wind up hitting gravel on our driveway and this idea would eliminate that better than the shoes.

·
Super Moderator
2,167 Posts
Ahhh...the shoes. I actually had forgot about them, but they're the reason I added the pipe and took the shoes off. The second time I used the blade, plowing gravel road and drives mind you, this happened:

View attachment 647724

View attachment 647726

Those are pictures of the left shoe and sleeve. The right side only cracked.
I was plowing normally, about 3" each time. Wasn't going too fast or ramming snow piles or anything crazy. Had the blade angled to the right most of the time. Had it been on paved surfaces it might not have happened, or at least that quickly. Poor design in my opinion. Anyways, took it back to the dealer and told him what happened. With a playful grin, he said he'd have it ready in a couple days and they've seen it before. More than a couple times I imagine.

Here's what they did to repair it. Welded the sleeves back together and added a reinforcement strap. I think they did a good job on the repair, but when I got it home I took the shoes off and added the pipe first thing, and haven't had a problem since. I'm much more pleased with the pipe, as I can plow the yard from my barn to the road without tearing the grass.

View attachment 647730

1 - 14 of 14 Posts