Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently had my dealer install a 260B backhoe on my 2018 1025R, and have found that with the backhoe attached, the front end of the tractor is light and the front wheels tend to slip sideways if I try to make more than a moderate turn on loose dirt or crushed stone. (In both 4WD and 2WD). Carrying several solid concrete blocks (about 200 pounds) in the bucket eliminates the problem, but of course the bucket can't be used unless the blocks are removed.

It would seem that hanging several iron weights on the front of the tractor frame would be a better solution, and I'm looking for the best way to accomplish that.

I have a 47" front snowblower for the 1025R and the blower's frame mount, which remains bolted to the tractor's frame, has a lip across the top that the blower's bearing carrier bracket hangs on.

Does anyone know if someone makes a weight bracket that hangs on the snowblower mount that will carry standard JD weights?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I recently had my dealer install a 260B backhoe on my 2018 1025R, and have found that with the backhoe attached, the front end of the tractor is light and the front wheels tend to slip sideways if I try to make more than a moderate turn on loose dirt or crushed stone. (In both 4WD and 2WD). Carrying several solid concrete blocks (about 200 pounds) in the bucket eliminates the problem, but of course the bucket can't be used unless the blocks are removed.

It would seem that hanging several iron weights on the front of the tractor frame would be a better solution, and I'm looking for the best way to accomplish that.

I have a 47" front snowblower for the 1025R and the blower's frame mount, which remains bolted to the tractor's frame, has a lip across the top that the blower's bearing carrier bracket hangs on.

Does anyone know if someone makes a weight bracket that hangs on the snowblower mount that will carry standard JD weights?
You can also look into filling the front tires with liquid ballast.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
That is interesting, I have not had that problem...Is this with the BH stowed and the carrier pins installed? The Loader and BH should be well matched for weight distribution...I also have not loaded any of my tires and rove around on a relatively steep property.

Does it do it in high and low? I never use high gear ..Maybe I just drive much slower...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That is interesting, I have not had that problem...Is this with the BH stowed and the carrier pins installed? The Loader and BH should be well matched for weight distribution...I also have not loaded any of my tires and rove around on a relatively steep property.

Does it do it in high and low? I never use high gear ..Maybe I just drive much slower...
I think you probably have the 260 backhoe and mine is the 260B. I don't know if the 260B may have more weight rearward, but yes I do keep the backhoe stowed with both carrier pins in place when not using it. I do, however, have the BXpanded 260B thumb installed, which adds more weight rearward. I turn slowly in low gear.

I have tried swinging the stowed backhoe all the way to the right and to the left, but it doesn't make a difference. My rear tires are loaded, my front tires are not.

My JD dealer says this is a "normal" situation with the 2018 1025Rs with the 260B backhoe, and that some front weights will resolve it. I'm hoping someone makes a front weight carrier that just hangs on the snowblower mount.

·
Registered
12,279 Posts
It is also possible that your brake is out of adjustment and the diff lock is engaged. :dunno:
I don't have the same tractor but I've had 850 lbs of rear ballast on my 2025 with an empty bale spear and had no troubles like this. Going up hills will transfer weight to the rear causing a light front end, but other than that it shouldn't.

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
I think you probably either have the tractor in 4WD or the diff. lock is stuck engaged as PJR832 mentioned.

These tractors are designed to have the FEL and BH attached to the tractor at the same time. With both attached, the C of G of the tractor is very centered so you problem is not, not having enough front weight, it is something else like mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you probably either have the tractor in 4WD or the diff. lock is stuck engaged as PJR832 mentioned.

These tractors are designed to have the FEL and BH attached to the tractor at the same time. With both attached, the C of G of the tractor is very centered so you problem is not, not having enough front weight, it is something else like mentioned earlier.
The tractor just had its 50 hour service and the brakes were adjusted and are fine. The tractor rolls freely on a slight slope when the brake pedal is not pressed. I have tried both 4WD and 2WD while turning and it makes no difference. Also, I thought of the possibility of the rear diff. lock being stuck, but that's not it either. When loading the bucket from a pile of crushed stone in 2WD, I can make one of the rear wheels spin by driving into the pile. Also, when I put about 200 pounds of weight in the FEL bucket the tractor turns on a dime.

What I forgot to mention originally is that when I remove the backhoe and re-install the 3-pt hitch & ballast box, the tractor performs fine just like it did before the backhoe was installed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Front Weight Bracket

I very much appreciate the suggestions about what might be causing the front wheel slippage when turning my 1025R on a loose dirt or crushed stone surface with the 260B backhoe attached, but I'd like to add some weights to the front of the tractor to resolve the situation and would like to hear from anyone who knows if there's a company out there that makes a weight bracket that hangs on the snowblower frame mount that will carry standard JD weights?

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
....anyone who knows if there's a company out there that makes a weight bracket that hangs on the snowblower frame mount that will carry standard JD weights?
Heavy hitch makes a bracket for the front that slips in the inner brackets that the quick hitch adaptor bracket is normally slipped into. You don't use the JD quick hitch, just the inner brackets. More versatile than the JD front weight bracket. The JD bracket is bolted on, and you'd have to remove the long, skinny bracket that is bolted on the front for the quick hitch. The HH just slips in, and is retained with the long pin that the quick hitch uses.

Heavy Hitch front weight brkt.jpeg
IMAG0723-3.jpg.jpeg

heavyhitch quick-attach-front-weight-bracket

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heavy hitch makes a bracket for the front that slips in the inner brackets that the quick hitch adaptor bracket is normally slipped into. You don't use the JD quick hitch, just the inner brackets. More versatile than the JD front weight bracket. The JD bracket is bolted on, and you'd have to remove the long, skinny bracket that is bolted on the front for the quick hitch. The HH just slips in, and is retained with the long pin that the quick hitch uses.
Thanks very much, kylew. That appears to be what I am looking for! I'll get in touch with Heavy Hitch to make sure it will work in my situation, but at first glance it looks like it will. Many thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
It should. I've heard some people use it for front weight when using a tiller, amongst other things. I think it'll work for your situation.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 2018 1025R with the FEL and 260B backhoe with the BXpanded thumb and I have not experienced what you are describing. :dunno:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It should. I've heard some people use it for front weight when using a tiller, amongst other things. I think it'll work for your situation.
Well, a very helpful Terry at Heavy Hitch told me today that their front weight bracket can't be used when the FEL is installed, because the FEL's tubular support that swings down when the FEL is uninstalled interferes with the weight bracket.

I may be making too much of the front wheel slippage issue. I'm going to continue using the tractor and see if I can adjust the way I steer it to see if I can eliminate the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Well, a very helpful Terry at Heavy Hitch told me today that their front weight bracket can't be used when the FEL is installed, because the FEL's tubular support that swings down when the FEL is uninstalled interferes with the weight bracket.

I may be making too much of the front wheel slippage issue. I'm going to continue using the tractor and see if I can adjust the way I steer it to see if I can eliminate the problem.
Thank you for the update. That's good information to know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steering Problem Solved!

The steering problem with my 2018 1025R after the installation of a 260B backhoe has been resolved.

The difficulty I was having steering the tractor after the backhoe was installed turns out to have nothing to do with the backhoe.

PJR832 and Ray_PA both mentioned the possibility that the differential lock could be stuck in the engaged position. I responded to them that I didn't think that was the case, but I was wrong.

After PJR832 and Ray_PA posted about the differential lock I began to research how that lock works and found that it is directly related to the tractor's braking system. While my tractor was in the dealer's shop to have the backhoe installed, I had them adjust the parking brake because the tractor had been slipping on an incline when the parking brake was engaged.

So, I raised both rear wheels off the ground using the backhoe's stabilizers and turned the left wheel. The right wheel turned in the same direction. I then attempted to turn the left wheel while holding the right wheel stationary, but they appeared to be locked together. At that point I surmised that the parking brake adjustment had not been done correctly, causing the differential to lock up.

With that information I contacted my JD dealer and described what I had learned and what my simple elevated-wheel test showed. The service manager offered to pick up my tractor right away and fix the problem.

The tractor was delivered back to me today and it steers just like it used to before the backhoe was installed. The parking brake works fine, and the differential lock is disengaged.

I would like to thank PJR832 and Ray_PA for pointing out that the steering problem I was experiencing could be caused by a locked-up differential. They were right, and without their feedback I would not have known to pursue that possibility with my dealer.

Many thanks to PJR832 and Ray_PA! :good2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts