Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Frontier 48" rotary cutter (Frontier RC2048) coming this Tuesday for my 1025R with iMatch. My question is what to use for front end weight. Remove FEL and use nothing up front?? The FEL frame alone? The FEL with empty bucket? FEL with bucket and some extra weight in the bucket? Or remove FEL and use suitcase weights?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are you mowing on flat ground !
Yep, almost like a tabletop. Just bumpier.

I'll be using my MMM for my yard and for the roadside where there are slopes. The RC will be to let me mow my coastal bermuda pastures at around 8 inches vs the 4 inches that's the tallest I can go with the MMM. I'm hoping that by mowing the pastures higher I'll get better forage for horses, and the higher cut of the coastal will choke out more of the weeds.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I have a KK but find I am balanced with FEL on or off completely and 4 weights on the front. With no weights and the RC raised the nose is very very light. When you get it on the tractor you will visually see how it hangs way back ( 4 inches further with i match) and is a giant lever.

When you drop with i match you will find hooking up much easier if you have a 4x4 under the back of the cutter so it's a little nose down. Once you get the top hook in and lift a little everything then lines right up.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
I have a jd 2520 mcut, and i hang 3 42 pd suitcase weights on the front for extra weight, but i mow at my aunt's place, which is very steep. need 4 wheel drive up and down. for what ur saying, just hang a couple of suitcase weights up front, and u should be fine. i don't care to run with my loader on. just my preference for me.

be prepared to fight the pto shaft with the i-match on. i found the easiest way, was to hook up, and then let the i-match back down, so that i have more room in front of the i-match. good luck.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I put 7 of the 42lbs weights on my 1026r when using my 4' kk. At first I had tried 4 weights, but found the steering to be iffy at best. 7 keeps the front planted on hills and uneven ground.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I have a Frontier 48" rotary cutter (Frontier RC2048) coming this Tuesday for my 1025R with iMatch. My question is what to use for front end weight. Remove FEL and use nothing up front?? The FEL frame alone? The FEL with empty bucket? FEL with bucket and some extra weight in the bucket? Or remove FEL and use suitcase weights?
You can fit 5 on the front, more if you visit HeavyHitch.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also have the Frontier 48" rotary cutter for my 1025r. You could use it without the FEL, but the front is REAL light without the counterweight. I wouldn't recommend doing it anything less than perfectly flat terrain.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I am assuming your ground to cut is out your back door for example and you don't have to load everything up and trailer it to your land or run down the road a bit on the tractor to get to it. If so and being you mention it's like a table top you may not need front ballast at all, just don't raise the cutter all the way up. Being the RC has a tail wheel just hook up the cutter, raise it to the cutting height you intend to cut, and let it roll behind you to the ground your cutting. The front end of the tractor will become lighter as you raise the cutter higher with the 3point. You mentioned your ground is bumpy, the tractor will ride smoother across it with the loader removed. If you intend to run around with the cutter raised to its highest position then you will appreciate ballast on the front without the loader attached. If ballast is needed for a RC only and no other implements, save yourself the cash from purchasing weights and let the cutter trail along behind you.

Reactions: Levi and BigJim55

·
Registered
340 Posts
With the loader off, I've had the box blade on a quick hitch raise the front wheels off the ground. The 2048 is quite a bit longer and heavier. I'd personally leave the loader attached.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
When I use the rotary cutter on my 1025, I find I need some weight in front otherwise, like others have said, the front end gets a little light. If you are in wide open spaces, the loader will do the trick. I have quite a few trees and a building to go around, so I don't like the bucket sticking out in front. It gets in the way. But I find that four or five weights on the front weight bracket makes all the difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts