Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 John Deere 1025R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rotary cutter is dragging in the front and is causing ruts and sometimes the tractor gets hung up and doesn’t have enough power to pull. Am I doing something wrong? I hook it up when it is fully on the ground, should I prop it on blocks before letting it down and unhooking? Would that even help? New to this want to get better and need advice

·
Super Moderator
6,524 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the 3pt top link to change the angle so the mower sits straight when lowered?

·
Registered
2019 John Deere 1025R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it off the ground correctly when you start cutting, but then seems to drift down towards the ground as you are working?
I don’t think so I just think it might be the grade changes. It doesn’t sit level when I hook it up and I’m wondering if that is what is causing it and how I can fix it

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The thing that helped me the most was when I learned that the rotary cutter height and slope front-to-back is set by 3 things. The two tractor lift arms support the front of the cutter, and the tail wheel supports the rear. Once that is established, the top link is adjusted only that you can lift the tail wheel off the ground to move the RC around.

There is an articulation point built into the cutter (center of the picture where the 2 bolt heads are) that allows the RC cutting deck to pivot up and down behind the tractor (lift arms are the fulcrum point) to accommodate for grade changes and irregularities.

The 2 inch front to rear incline is to allow better discharge out of the rear when cutting heavy brush. If you are cutting pasture grass, the slope can be less, maybe a half-inch.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
If you have flat ground...........Ditch the top link completely.

Have you set the Cut height with the rear Wheel yet..??

Pic of this unit?>

Are you useing a I Match Hitch?

Front of mower should be a touch low for best cut ..but cut height is determined by where the rear wheel is set.

You mowing a field or trying to make your yard look nice?

......................... :unsure:

·
Registered
2038R in the PNW
172 Posts
I had the same problem while mowing uneven terrain and ended up breaking the adjustable lift link when the front edge of the rotary cutter dug in while making a turn.
I had to beat it into my head that it is NOT a finish mower and needs to be run a little higher off the ground. Don’t try to cut so short.

·
Premium Member
13,671 Posts
So it says that it needs to be 2” higher in the back. It is WELL over that, I’d say 5-6” so is seems like this is my problem. Thank you so much!
The mower is 5" to 6" higher in the back in part because the front is too low. It would also be helpful if you would take pictures of how you have the mower attached to the tractor's 3 point hitch so we can see...

1. Are you using an I Match or other "Quick Hitch"? If so, how do you have it adjusted?

2. Are you using an adjustable top link, where you can adjust the connection angle of how the Frontier Mower connects to your tractor?

3. Where are the 3 point hitch arms when you are running the mower?

4. What are you trying to cut with the mower? Is it a flat field with grass or a ditch with weeds waist high?

Plus pictures can tell us so much about what and how you are attempting to do things. It's also a good idea and very helpful to read the Operator's manuals for the equipment you are using if you have no experience operating the equipment. Reading and understanding the Operators Manuals is helpful to those who have experience, and critical for those who are learning.

Please take some photo's of the mower attached to the tractor and the area where you are using the equipment so we can see what you are dealing with. It's the most effective way to help us help you..............

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Like @theduke says, take your top link off so your cutter can move independent of the tractor. You can add a section of chain in place of the top link which will allow you to still lift the cutter but give you full articulation

·
Registered
933 Posts
The front is set by the stop on your 3ph control. The rear is set by the position of the tail wheel. You want the rear to be 1 to 2 inches higher than the front.

If your 3ph control does not have an adjustable stop, go see your dealer. They left it off. The 1025R should have one. A 1023e would not. You just adjust the stop to where the front of the rotary cutter skid is 1 to 2 inches above the ground. The rotating blade will be about 1 inch above that yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts