Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The small single claw grapple for the 1025R sat under cover this winter but it WAS in the cold; anyone think this would cause it to not open when reconnected to the tractor this Spring? There's plenty of hydraulic fluid and all other hyd functions work fine.

I did notice the top nut on the grapple cylinder was a bit loose when I hooked it up, so I tightened that up, but it should be getting plenty of fluid. Anyone had that happen before?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
Hydraulic fluid doesn’t freeze so if the tractor is sending it fluid it should function. I assume you have a 3rd function diverter? Those are notorious for sticking when not used regularly.

You could always attach the grapple hoses to one of the loader SCVs to see if it works.

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
Yep - it has a third function...was a dealer-install, and worked fine last fall. Thanks!
The solenoids on diverters have a habit of sticking when not used regularly. You might be able to free it by giving it a few gentle taps with a small hammer or something similar.

·
Administrator
17,948 Posts
It would help to know exactly what you have for a grapple and the control for it-lot's of variables here to really help you specifically.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the 53" AV20F Root Grapple with the single 'claw'...the control is just the two vertical arrows that sit inside the stock FEL controller. Not sure of the model number for that but it's a dealer installed controller for the loader control arm.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
It's the 53" AV20F Root Grapple with the single 'claw'...the control is just the two vertical arrows that sit inside the stock FEL controller. Not sure of the model number for that but it's a dealer installed controller for the loader control arm.

Thanks!
So I assume you have the 3rd function where the hydraulic couplers are on the right hand side of the tractor up near the front tire?

If so, below are the components. The diverter valve is probably under the tractor. The solenoids for the diverter valve are highlighted below. Do you have someone who can activate the joystick switches while you stick your head under there to see if you hear any clicking when either button is pressed?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome - yes...that's my setup. Will check that out. The bracket shown in your diagram (#33) is down on the right side and is just hanging/floating and not really bolted tight to anything except the lines themselves. Having said that, all the hyd lines seem tight and are connected everywhere...

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
Awesome - yes...that's my setup. Will check that out. The bracket shown in your diagram (#33) is down on the right side and is just hanging/floating and not really bolted tight to anything except the lines themselves. Having said that, all the hyd lines seem tight and are connected everywhere...
That doesn't sound like a good setup. It looks like the bracket should be secured with bolt #39. Even though it appears tight, a slight vibration could cause the hard line to fatigue and crack over time. You might want to check for that mounting bolt as the mounting plate should definitely be secured.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I fully agree with Jgayman. I have the exact same JD 3rd function on my new 1023E, specifically bought with my AV20F grapple and installed by the dealer. NO WAY is that bracket supposed to be hanging down supported only by the lines. Also, moving the 3rd function control on the joystick forward/back rapidly will result in you hearing the solenoid open and close.

I also experienced an issue when my tractor was first delivered, however, the rapid switch movement resulted in the claw working again, air was moved from the lines, and I have not had an issue since.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to update everyone that might have this issue...it ended up being a bad fuse. Pop the hood, remove the panel on the 'passenger' side of tractor and toward the rear is a fuse box. New fuse in and grapple worked fine!

Thanks all for the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts