Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I haven't bent my bucket yet but lets hear from the people that have.

My dad was a heavy equipment operater for decades and after looking at my new zinc plated bolt on hooks (thanks Ken) that I better be careful lifting from the side as I may 'twist' or torque the loader/bucket. He also metioned that lifting from the side hooks could cause the tractor to be tippy. I informed him that I the middle of the bucket was not strong enough to support heavy lifting but that I wanted a hook there anyway.

So....

Who has twisted, tweked, torqued, bent or bowed their loader or bucket on any JD SCUT but especially the H120?

I'm new here but I quickly learned the value of pictures! (hint)

thanks...

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I think that if you're twisting the bucket (deforming it) lifting from the chains/hooks, you may be trying to lift too much with your 1025R.

I picked up my JD180 lawn tractor with my H120 loader yesterday to get easier access to the steering gears underneath. Worked like a charm. I do try to load both sides of the bucket though to avoid loading unevenly.

To avoid bending up the front edge - I've got a Piranha toothbar.

I wish I had gotten the center hook as well. It's a convenient location to lift lighter stuff.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Centering your load and a little common sense will prevail other than that, I would say your dad is right and it could mean trouble.

·
Administrator
17,280 Posts
If you need to lift something from a single point, then a short chain in a Y configuration hooked to the two hooks will provide that and distribute the load evenly to the FEL. IIRC correctly I covered that in the install video I did also. Not yanking or jerking whatever your trying to move will also help keep the bucket from bending.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you need to lift something from a single point, then a short chain in a Y configuration hooked to the two hooks will provide that and distribute the load evenly to the FEL. IIRC correctly I covered that in the install video I did also. Not yanking or jerking whatever your trying to move will also help keep the bucket from bending.
What he said ^^^^^^^ :good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,200 Posts
So far nobody did any bending of the bucket, or admitting it anyway. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
So far nobody did any bending of the bucket, or admitting it anyway. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Mine is bent, but the OP wants H120 owners, of which I am am no longer.....

·
Registered
892 Posts
I bent mine. I also bent it back. Bottle jack and a 2x6 for the win. ;)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411781035.087841.jpg

·
Registered
892 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411781139.153597.jpg

Here is what it looks like now.

Jim

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Gotta nice dent in mine. I even asked to keep that bucket when I traded for the 1025R because I had installed the tooth bar and just figured I'd save myself the work to re-install it (and a new bucket will get scratched and dented too). I like my dent.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I haven't had any bending issues and I've picked up all kinds of things with the loader and bucket hook setup, however, I don't attempt anything that my cautious, common sense thought process deems to be remotely risky so I'm not really pushing the envelope. I always use two lifting points (both hooks) on the loader bucket and pull with the rear of the tractor, not the bucket in reverse - this is a no, no :)

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I have not come close to lifting loads (most #'s = 54D mower deck) or twisting out boulders, to stress my bucket to the bending point (yet). BUT, the OP's dad is correct concerning frontal stability using the FEL. There is one single point of tractor support on the front axle and it PIVOTS. The further to the side the weight is slung (or swings!) the greater the chance of overcoming the balance of the machine's weight/rear ballast. This neat-o physics/geometry fact is made waaay worse moving down slope.

I usually lift my stuff with the center "pad eye/clevis" with a chain running out to the jam hook on either end of the bucket. But, as I said, I haven't needed a hydraulic boom crane as yet for any of my jobs. And like others, I stiffened the bottom edge with the Piranah tooth bar. It also acts very well as a "lifting chain stabilizer" and reduces the load "swing" a great deal.

I didn't do the math (hahahahahahah [read "can't!]:laugh:), but it stands to reason that a load hung from the center of the top of the bucket will take far less strain to bend it than loading from end hooks. If you "just gotta" load heavy in the center, roll the bucket down so the top of the bucket is near vertical as it can get. There is more "I-beam" shape and more support than flat simply by design of the structural bends of the bucket top.... OR, simply sling equalized from the end hooks.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Darn it Harold, now I gotta do a finite element analysis on the center lifting point on my bucket! I hate being an engineer (not really :lol:)

·
Premium Member
14,114 Posts
I welded 2 hooks on top of bucket,, Sorry Kenny not yours, when ever lifting anything of major weight always use a Y setup or loop using both hooks. Thankfully after close to 10 yrs and 3 different buckets NO bent bucket. Lifting from one side to the front or to the side asking for trouble. I was watching my brother yesterday moving a 30-36" --16' long OAK log with forks on his 2720. Lifted one time with one fork and back wheel came off the ground . You could see the twisting of the frame work on his fel. Mentioned it to him ,,oh I do it all the time, oh that is why you have a leaking cyl on fel.
Just saying .

·
Registered
980 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Darn it Harold, now I gotta do a finite element analysis on the center lifting point on my bucket! I hate being an engineer (not really :lol:)
Yeah, but YOU do get to blow the whistle!:laugh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts