Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am buying my first John Deere. Purchasing the 1025R. I talked to the salesmen about adding bucket hooks and bucket teeth to the standard bucket. I plan to use the bucket to move a lot of rocks, smaller tree stumps, and dirt as I clean out my woods. He suggested that I upgrade to a heavy duty bucket (for about 1k more). I would appreciate any thoughts on whether or not you feel the bucket upgrade in necessary. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have heavy hitch toothbar on mine!
I don't think an HD bucket would be necessary. I've picked my rear end up with the standard 53 inch bucket.
I have hooks on top from www.boltonhooks.com as well. If you buy any, Get these because they are the best.
You can add these things yourself. I wouldn't expect a dealer to do it anyway.
Pallet forks may be better for the material you want to move also. AP10F can be bought from your dealer with 36 or 42 inch forks.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,497 Posts
The HD bucket takes too much lift capacity away from the 1025R and really isn't needed.

·
Premium Member
15,967 Posts
This quote. I aduse my standard bucket and all is fine. Go with the lighter weight standard bucket, I say. 1K goes a long way elsewhere for your tractor.
Not only that, JD wants a crazy price for the OEM tooth bar compared to the cost of the Heavy Hitch bar.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I don't think a heavy duty bucket is necessary either. There just trying to make you buy more from them. I've got the standard bucket with a piranha tooth bar, bolt on hooks & d rings. I've moved half a hillside when I widened my driveway & moved logs, etc & never had a problem. Save that money for the other goodies you might want for your JD.

·
Premium Member
15,967 Posts
I don't think a heavy duty bucket is necessary either. There just trying to make you buy more from them. I've got the standard bucket with a piranha tooth bar, bolt on hooks & d rings. I've moved half a hillside when I widened my driveway & moved logs, etc & never had a problem. Save that money for the other goodies you might want for your JD.
The dealer was probably just offering an alternate albeit expensive option figuring the loops on the HD bucket would act as hooks - which they really don't. The loops always seemed to have limited functionality. I guess they are better than nothing but you cannot latch a chain into those loops like you can a grab hook. The HD bucket isn't even listed as a choice with the 120R loader. Also, the HD bucket is not pre-drilled for a tooth bar so you're still forced to go third party.

In reality, the 57-inch "HD" bucket offered with the 220R loader isn't really that heavy duty at all. It only weighs 12 lbs more than the standard bucket. That's 211 lbs. for the 53-inch bucket and 223 lbs. for the 57-inch "HD" bucket.

The smallest "real" HD bucket is the 61-inch bucket offered with the 320R loader. It weighs 273 lbs, is pre-drilled for the $523 OEM toothbar which adds another 181 lbs. Ironically the real HD bucket does not have loops on the top edge.

Reactions: PJR832 and Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have heavy hitch toothbar on mine!
I don't think an HD bucket would be necessary. I've picked my rear end up with the standard 53 inch bucket.
I have hooks on top from www.boltonhooks.com as well. If you buy any, Get these because they are the best.
You can add these things yourself. I wouldn't expect a dealer to do it anyway.
Pallet forks may be better for the material you want to move also. AP10F can be bought from your dealer with 36 or 42 inch forks.
Very helpful, thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The dealer was probably just offering an alternate albeit expensive option figuring the loops on the HD bucket would act as hooks - which they really don't. The loops always seemed to have limited functionality. I guess they are better than nothing but you cannot latch a chain into those loops like you can a grab hook. The HD bucket isn't even listed as a choice with the 120R loader. Also, the HD bucket is not pre-drilled for a tooth bar so you're still forced to go third party.

In reality, the 57-inch "HD" bucket offered with the 220R loader isn't really that heavy duty at all. It only weighs 12 lbs more than the standard bucket. That's 211 lbs. for the 53-inch bucket and 223 lbs. for the 57-inch "HD" bucket.

The smallest "real" HD bucket is the 61-inch bucket offered with the 320R loader. It weighs 273 lbs, is pre-drilled for the $523 OEM toothbar which adds another 181 lbs. Ironically the real HD bucket does not have loops on the top edge.
Thanks for your response. Very helpful!

·
Registered
339 Posts
The bucket on the 1 series is capable of withstanding anything the machine can throw at it. It really can't harm itself.

The heavy duty bucket is a waste of money, plus it just lowers your lift capacity.

·
Premium Member
15,967 Posts
The bucket on the 1 series is capable of withstanding anything the machine can throw at it. It really can't harm itself.

The heavy duty bucket is a waste of money, plus it just lowers your lift capacity.
Yes it does... by 12 lbs. :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I actually bent my (standard duty) 53 inch bucket on my 1025R by stupidly using the middle hook that I had welded on with something heavy

the bend is minor and I still appreciate having the best possible lift capacity with my bucket

1 - 20 of 29 Posts