Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Been surfing this site for a while for info and thanks to all the learning I have gathered from the great folks on this forum I finally pulled the trigger on a used 2016 1025R with 52 hours; standard vanilla machine with 54 auto connect and FEL
One concern for me when I bought it was that the height adjustment won’t go into the lock position but thought not a big deal due to the fact I have read this can be adjusted. I went through dieselshadow’s adjustment instructions yesterday. It won’t go into lock due to the mid mount rockshaft hitting the cam adjuster so I assumed the gap was not set correctly. Beginning gap with the deck off was about 1/8” so just thought I would have to widen the gap to account for the weight of the mower when installed. Did what the instructions say loosening the three bolts and rotated the mid mount rockshaft forward to increase the gap, could only get a slight gap increase due to the fact the end of the linkage is hitting in the bend on the backside of the adjusting strap and will not allow it rotate any further forward when the strap is pushed all the way forward in the slot and tightened; therefore I only got about 3/16” gap and when reinstalling the deck it still will not go into lock position.
Two solutions I see; carefully grind he end of the linkage to allow a bit more travel before bottoming out in the bend on the adjusting strap OR and here is the question; if I cheat and not push the adjusting strap all the way forward when tightening (which will give be a bit more adjustment on the gap due to the bend being a little more aft); what will that affect?
Appreciate any and all input!
Thanks

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Lift arm turnbuckles adjusted? Might need a bit of touch up, mine did. Needed to let mine out to the end of the threads to get a proper adjustment. It's easy, just a PIA, clip, pin out, rotate turnbuckle, pin, clip, try it, etc.

Got mine back from the dealer last week for a mower trapeze lift mechanism replacement. I should go over the entire business under there and see if they did any fooling around with the adjustments (which were wrong on original delivery). I wonder what percentage of techs can perform an accurate step by step auto connect adjustment (and service managers who allow 'em enough time) before delivery...?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
If it wont go into lock with the manual lift the problem is likely with the strap. I will look up the procedure tomorrow and post it. Its pretty quick fast and in a hurry but I dont want to tell you wrong. So I will double check.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Lift arm turnbuckles adjusted? Might need a bit of touch up, mine did. Needed to let mine out to the end of the threads to get a proper adjustment. It's easy, just a PIA, clip, pin out, rotate turnbuckle, pin, clip, try it, etc.

Got mine back from the dealer last week for a mower trapeze lift mechanism replacement. I should go over the entire business under there and see if they did any fooling around with the adjustments (which were wrong on original delivery). I wonder what percentage of techs can perform an accurate step by step auto connect adjustment (and service managers who allow 'em enough time) before delivery...?
Percentage of techs? I can only comment on ours. We had a couple jack legs that rushed thru it after being "schooled". We had to redo em all. They no longer work for us. When I do one.. It's a simple process. When done.. We drive over the deck and stop. Put trans in neutral, shut off and get off. Then we grab the rear tire and roll it into the latches. If she latches by hand.. It's right. Then we unlatch and relatch 5x using the tractor... On and off 5x. Then check and recheck everything is tight. Using that method. .no recalls. My service mgr hates us going over time.. Hates even worse getting "that call"! All good.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have seen it where the adjusting strap (23) was put on with the bend facing the wrong direction which created problems with the deck lifting and locking. I'll see if I can dig up that thread.

Check to make sure that the adjusting strap is mounted so that the part towards the front of the tractor is closest to the rear tire and the strap bends inward away from the tire as you go towards the rear of the tractor.

Mechanical Mower Lift Linkage.jpg

EDIT: Here's the post with pictures. Pay attention to the direction of the bend in the adjusting strap.

EDIT2: Here is a post with the PDF of the installation instructions for the mechanical lift kit. It also shows the correct strap orientation.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I have seen it where the adjusting strap (23) was put on with the bend facing the wrong direction which created problems with the deck lifting and locking. I'll see if I can dig up that thread.

Check to make sure that the adjusting strap is mounted so that the part towards the front of the tractor is closest to the rear tire and the strap bends inward away from the tire as you go towards the rear of the tractor.

View attachment 398057

EDIT: Here's the post with pictures. Pay attention to the direction of the bend in the adjusting strap.

EDIT2: Here is a post with the PDF of the installation instructions for the mechanical lift kit. It also shows the correct strap orientation.
Sweet.. Good deal.. Got me off the hook! Lol

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input guys.
Thanks for the great illustration. All parts are installed in the proper direction as shown; I did see that post as well and was the first thing I checked to be sure.
My problem is item 22 on the aft end is hitting in the bend radius on item 23 and not allowing any more forward movement of the mid mount rockshaft so I can increase the gap a bit more at step one in the process. Was looking at it again last evening and think I am going to carefully grind some off the end of item 22 or even a 45 deg angle just to get a bit more clearance for the end of the arm as it interfaces with that bend radius.
Must say beyond that auto connect seems to work flawless so tech must have done something right. Hopefully I won't screw that up!! If so the adjustments look understandable so I am hoping I can fix it if I do!!
Probably not going to be able to get to it till the weekend but will let you know the outcome.
Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
375 Posts
No need to grind the strap.

I think your rockshaft position feedback needs to be adjusted because your rockshaft arms are not raising high enough. The rockshaft position feedback allows the rockshaft arms to raise to maximum height without engaging the relief valve. If it is incorrectly set, either the arms will raise too high and activate the relief valve, or the arms won't raise high enough which in turn will not allow the mechanical lift arm to raise your mower deck high enough to clear the cam and engage the lock.

Here is the procedure found in the tech manual (highly recommended to have the tech manual; they are $65 for the electronic copy from John Deere):

Adjust Rockshaft Position Feedback.png

Here is the diagram of the position feedback (#35, adjusted using #33):

Rockshaft Control Valve.jpg

After you adjust the position feedback, you may need to adjust the strap (#22/#23) so it isn't so short. The end of #22 should not be bumping up against the radius bend in #23.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

I think your rockshaft position feedback needs to be adjusted because your rockshaft arms are not raising high enough. The rockshaft position feedback allows the rockshaft arms to raise to maximum height without engaging the relief valve. If it is incorrectly set, either the arms will raise too high and activate the relief valve, or the arms won't raise high enough which in turn will not allow the mechanical lift arm to raise your mower deck high enough to clear the cam and engage the lock.

Here is the procedure found in the tech manual (highly recommended to have the tech manual; they are $65 for the electronic copy from John Deere):

View attachment 398433

View attachment 398441

After you adjust the position feedback, you may need to adjust the strap (#22/#23) so it isn't so short. The end of #22 should not be bumping up against the radius bend in #23.

Traction
I am a bit confused. In step 5 of the procedure you sent in the NOTE it states to measure at the center of the lift arm pins. Are they referring to item 14 in the first diagram you sent where the mower lift arms attach? And second what are you measuring to?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is in the shop for the same thing. Number 17 was placed in backwards from the dealer and my knob would not rotate all the way around. I watched the tech try to loosen the three nuts and adjust the lift arms but got nothing. They took the mower off and got under it and found one bushing on the lift arm just sliding back and forth. The other wouldn't come out without heat and they didnt want to take the plastics off. Whole new bar for the lift arms is comming. Had the tractor for 8 months and has seen the shop 6 times. Love the machine but getting tired of the small stuff.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Traction
I am a bit confused. In step 5 of the procedure you sent in the NOTE it states to measure at the center of the lift arm pins. Are they referring to item 14 in the first diagram you sent where the mower lift arms attach? And second what are you measuring to?
The procedure is referring to adjusting the rockshaft lift arms for the three point hitch. As you raise and lower the three point lift arms, the rockshaft rotates the deck lift arm (part #21 from the first diagram). If the rockshaft is not rotating the full amount it should, it will not lift the mower deck as high as it should.

You'll be measuring the lowest point at the center of the lift arm pin hole to the highest point they raise. If that is less than 8.75", you'll need to adjust the position feedback (#35 on the second diagram). The position feedback is connected to the right rockshaft lift arm and even a 1/4 turn adjustment will have an effect on the height of lift.

Rockshaft Arms Measurement.jpg

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Traction Thanks for the clarification, I understand now, I will be checking that as soon as I get time to get back at it.

Firehound those look to be flanged bushings (item17) would be very difficult to get them in wrong, mine look correct. Let me know how you make out at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Traction
Checked my lift arm travel tonight was at 7.25" adjusted it up to 8.5" and that proved to be too much. The mower lift arms were riding up into the frame so far I could not get the pins in the height adjustment turnbuckles. Readjusted it to apprx 8.0" and the deck now goes into lock with about a 1/16" gap between the mower lift arm and the height adjustment cam and just low enough to insert the turnbuckle pins. Reinstalled, removed and reinstalled the deck with no issues. Will check and adjust side to side level and front to back height tomorrow.
All said at least for my issue your diagnosis was accurate.
Thanks for all your help!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Traction
Checked my lift arm travel tonight was at 7.25" adjusted it up to 8.5" and that proved to be too much. The mower lift arms were riding up into the frame so far I could not get the pins in the height adjustment turnbuckles. Readjusted it to apprx 8.0" and the deck now goes into lock with about a 1/16" gap between the mower lift arm and the height adjustment cam and just low enough to insert the turnbuckle pins. Reinstalled, removed and reinstalled the deck with no issues. Will check and adjust side to side level and front to back height tomorrow.
All said at least for my issue your diagnosis was accurate.
Thanks for all your help!!
You're welcome. You're almost there.

It sounds like your lift strap is set too short. You'll want the three point to get the full lift height, then set the lift strap length, then set the turnbuckles.

I would loosen the three bolts on the lift strap to allow the strap to move freely, adjust the rockshaft position feedback to get the full height, then follow the adjustment procedure in that PDF thread linked earlier for the mechanical lift kit, pages 4 and 5 in the PDF, to properly set the lift strap length.

Once you get the three point adjusted to full height (1st) and the lift strap adjusted to the proper length (2nd) (which will set the gap for the lock cam), then you can finally start leveling your deck with the turnbuckles and front draft arms.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still trying to understand the system and was wondering if those adjustments could be independent (deck height, 3pt arms) that makes perfect sense to me and why that (3) bolt strap is adjustable . . . duh! All starting to come together now! Not planning on using my 3pt anytime soon and need to level r up and get mowing. Will come back and fine tune at a later date now that I understand the system. I am getting that tech manual!
Can't express my appreciation enough for all your assistance!
Have a great 4th holiday and God Bless our Troops!:usa:usa:usa

·
Administrator
20,845 Posts
Still trying to understand the system and was wondering if those adjustments could be independent (deck height, 3pt arms) that makes perfect sense to me and why that (3) bolt strap is adjustable . . . duh! All starting to come together now! Not planning on using my 3pt anytime soon and need to level r up and get mowing. Will come back and fine tune at a later date now that I understand the system. I am getting that tech manual!
Can't express my appreciation enough for all your assistance!
Have a great 4th holiday and God Bless our Troops!:usa:usa:usa
This is all covered and in the sticky thread, ones series mower setup and adjustment. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got it all adjusted up yesterday both position feedback and mower deck proper setup. Now goes into lock and gained about 5/8" lift height on deck at full "H" height setting.

Thanks for all the help both Traction and dieselshadow for excellent tech info and everyone for great input and comments!

Have a great 4th and God Bless our Troops!!:usa:usa:usa

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
excopterdoc

In another post "erratic steering" you stated that the 3pt position feedback rod may need adjusted as one of the checks for that OP's issue and a quick check to be sure you are not adjusted too far and dead heading the system is as follows

#2. Steering only gets hard when hot, during mowing ect. Again.. Checked all hyd functions. Found 3 pt hitch feed back rod out of adjustment causing overheating and foaming of hyd fluid. When 3pt is fully lifted, you should hear no hyd noise. Also grab the lower hitch arms and lift up.. There must be some slack. That tells you the hitch valve has returned to neutral and is not bypassing.

Question:
How much force is required to lift up the arms, should it be relatively easy or some force required to lift them up? I assume some force is required due to the fact we are working with hydraulics here?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
excopterdoc

In another post "erratic steering" you stated that the 3pt position feedback rod may need adjusted as one of the checks for that OP's issue and a quick check to be sure you are not adjusted too far and dead heading the system is as follows

#2. Steering only gets hard when hot, during mowing ect. Again.. Checked all hyd functions. Found 3 pt hitch feed back rod out of adjustment causing overheating and foaming of hyd fluid. When 3pt is fully lifted, you should hear no hyd noise. Also grab the lower hitch arms and lift up.. There must be some slack. That tells you the hitch valve has returned to neutral and is not bypassing.

Question:
How much force is required to lift up the arms, should it be relatively easy or some force required to lift them up? I assume some force is required due to the fact we are working with hydraulics here?
All you are looking for is free play. The only force required is the weight of the arms.

·
Registered
10 Posts

View attachment 398433

View attachment 398441

I checked my 3pt. differential height last night at it was about 7 inches. I adjusted the rod to get more height, but it still kept the same differential measurement. The 3pt. raised higher, but the lower limit raised along with it.

What am I doing wrong?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts