Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the main things I need to use my new tractor for, is towing firewood around my property from the point I cut it to my seasoning hut. I quickly realized my lawn carts “arm” isn’t long enough to reach into the 3 point hitch with the imatch on. So I looked some stuff up and saw a post where they said I need a “draw bar”

well after getting home, the tip of the drawbar is too long and it doesn’t align with the mounting holes at the back. Is there anyway to make this work? If not what the heck do I need to hookup this darn lawn cart?
Bicycle part Gas Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
That draw bar goes on your 3 point hitch.

You can get a nice 2inch receiver from mudds and put a hitch on that. Mine has a hole for a lawn cart too.

Plant Automotive tire Wood Grass Trunk

·
Registered
2014 1025R
275 Posts
So this could work…but I would have to take off he imatch from the 3ph?
No, it should fit into the iMatch as well, but will need bushings. Example bushing set: B1: Category 1 Bushing Set - Heavy Hitch - Compact Tractor Attachments

I also have a lawn cart with this sort of hitch for pulling firewood. I find the most convenient thing is using the hitch receiver in my ballast box. Getting a ballast box with the receiver in it has been a godsend for almost never having to put the box down. I wouldn't tow anything heavy with the 3pt, but it's great for the 1500 lbs. max lawn cart.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
So this could work…but I would have to take off he imatch from the 3ph?
If its a cat 1 drawbar It should work with some QH bushings.

A cat 0 drawbar is several inches shorter and sometimes people grab one of those by mistake.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, it should fit into the iMatch as well, but will need bushings. Example bushing set: B1: Category 1 Bushing Set - Heavy Hitch - Compact Tractor Attachments

I also have a lawn cart with this sort of hitch for pulling firewood. I find the most convenient thing is using the hitch receiver in my ballast box. Getting a ballast box with the receiver in it has been a godsend for almost never having to put the box down. I wouldn't tow anything heavy with the 3pt, but it's great for the 1500 lbs. max lawn cart.
Wait…does the John Deere ballast have a place to connect a hitch? I have a ballast box, I didn’t even check it for a place to connect a hitch

·
Registered
2021 1025R
131 Posts
No the John Deere ballast doesn’t have a hitch receiver in it, some other manufacturers have one. That draw bar you got should fit across the bottom of your imatch and then pin your lawn cart to that.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
And be stuck always backing a trailer no matter which direction you're headed? This sounds like a special version of hell. :LOL:
Great comment! You got me there! :LOL:

In all seriousness, if you've never hitched a trailer to the front you gotta try it, it's SO much more maneuverable lol. And this comes from someone who has no problem backing a trailer when it's hitched the normal way.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just always bear in mind that the 3 point hitch only applies pressure for raising - no pressure is applied for lowering, that is dependent solely on gravity. If you your cart has 4 wheels like a trailer, then the lower link drawbar pictured above should work (be careful backing though). If the cart's tounge bears any weight, then there is always the possibility that it could send the hitch flying up if the load gets too far rearward.

Here's how I attach mine:
Plant Automotive tire Green Pollution Tree

Grass Automotive exterior Gas Wood Musical instrument

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just always bear in mind that the 3 point hitch only applies pressure for raising - no pressure is applied for lowering, that is dependent solely on gravity. If you your cart has 4 wheels like a trailer, then the lower link drawbar pictured above should work (be careful backing though). If the cart's tounge bears any weight, then there is always the possibility that it could send the hitch flying up if the load gets too far rearward.

Here's how I attach mine:
View attachment 839815

View attachment 839816
Both of my carts have just 2 wheels, is that okay to hook that up to my imatch with a drawbar like I’m planning to? Can’t I control the maximum distance my 3ph will lower with the black twist control knob directly below the operator seat centered on the tractor? That way it won’t tip towards the tractor

·
Registered
408 Posts
Absolutely, you can control the height with the position control lever. That part should be no problem. Just insure you have plenty of tounge weight so that the cart doesn't spontaneously dump on you. (that's basically the danger I was referring to above)

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,282 Posts
Both of my carts have just 2 wheels, is that okay to hook that up to my imatch with a drawbar like I’m planning to? Can’t I control the maximum distance my 3ph will lower with the black twist control knob directly below the operator seat centered on the tractor? That way it won’t tip towards the tractor
If you get too much weight to the rear of the cart it will cause the tongue to raise (think see-saw) which could push the 3-pt up to its limit. At that point the stress is place on the castings in the transaxle. If you're lucky, it will just bend the top link. If not, a transaxle repair ain't cheap (damage like that won't be covered by warranty).

I'd get a 2" receiver to replace the hitch plate that provides a solid connection that won't move.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I used a piece of 2” x 3/4 flat bar to extend the draw out a bit. Maybe 10 to 12”. I’d have to go out and measure to be sure. Have just enough room that the pto shafts for my tiller and mower work with a ball on it.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Absolutely, you can control the height with the position control lever. That part should be no problem. Just insure you have plenty of tounge weight so that the cart doesn't spontaneously dump on you. (that's basically the danger I was referring to above)
No he was asking about locking the 3 point in place by closing the rate of drop valve, not the position control lever.

I'm not sure if that will prevent the 3 point from being forced upwards or not.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts