Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,989 Posts
No he was asking about locking the 3 point in place by closing the rate of drop valve, not the position control lever.

I'm not sure if that will prevent the 3 point from being forced upwards or not.
There is no down pressure on the 3-pt so the ROD has no effect on the upward movement.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,369 Posts
Between the hitch receiver I welded on top of my bucket and the QH drawbar I can move 2 trailers at once! Ha! Lol.
🤣🤣 Good idea 🤣
Thant was funny.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
2020 1025R
815 Posts
No he was asking about locking the 3 point in place by closing the rate of drop valve, not the position control lever.

I've hauled a Gorilla cart around full of heavy clay dirt a bunch of times and I don't recall it ever putting any undue stress on the 3pt hitch. It'll be fine.

Best,

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,652 Posts
If you have any hills on your property, the 3ph hitch could raise when you are headed down hill with the load. I would just get the right hitch bracket and be done with it once and for all so it can't damage the transaxle and so it can't raise the trailer tongue.

I use a set up just like WestTexasFarmBoy except I invert the ball mount to make the connection point higher. Also, all you have to do is use the hitch like WTFB or myself and NOT install a hitch ball in the ball mount and hook the cart there. You have to extend the connection point BACK from the tractor or the trailer tongue will hit the rear tires of the tractor on even modest turns.

I like the hitch to be solid and not possibly lift under any circumstances. Many different ways to do this, I happen to prefer this approach. Plus, I can leave the hitch installed and use the IMatch and most other 3ph implements. If I do need to remove it, simply pull the spring clip and the red handled hitch pin and its off the machine................

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Floor
Wood Tool Gas Machine Bumper

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,989 Posts
I've hauled a Gorilla cart around full of heavy clay dirt a bunch of times and I don't recall it ever putting any undue stress on the 3pt hitch. It'll be fine.

Best,
Is that a 4 wheel cart? If so it doesn't have any tongue weight so using the 3-pt shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So I now have 2 solutions:

1: the drawbar on the imatch hitch

2:i got a small extender that seems to fit

both photo’d below. Is one method safer / better than the other? Thanks

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
390 Posts

No it absolutely will not.

So I now have 2 solutions:

1: the drawbar on the imatch hitch

both photo’d below. Is one method safer / better than the other? Thanks

View attachment 839871
View attachment 839872
Just bite the bullet and go ahead and get the propper tool for the job. You will be glad you did in the long run - and it is the ONLY truly safe way to go.

·
Registered
2014 1025R
197 Posts
For light trailers, that's why I prefer the ballast box hitch receiver. It's not an ideal solution, as there's still no positive "up" control, but you have to overcome the entire weight of the ballast box first with the tongue before you have an issue (assuming you're not also using the FEL at the same time). It's way better than the 3pt alone.

For a heavy trailer...I actually do have the bucket-mounted receiver I poked fun at earlier. I've used it and it truly is a better way. Just wouldn't want to run one off both ends at the same time! (Full disclosure: I'm not terrible at backing a trailer, but I'm no pro, either. I envy those that can do it effortlessly.)

·
Registered
2014 1025R
197 Posts
Oh, something else I though of: If you're carrying firewood, great. It's easy to load a garden trailer with bucked and split wood well, with just the right tongue weight. However, I often find I'm using the trailer to carry the mess that comes as a result of felling a tree: branches and twigs and leaves. Maybe I'm just being lazy, but if it doesn't drag on the ground on the way to the chipper, I'm happy. These loose loads are really light anyway. But it does mean that the tongue weight is often, uh, let's say less than ideal.

View attachment 839871
Since we were talking about it before: I've never used one, but that looks like it would be miserable to back.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,652 Posts
Unless the trailer has a long tongue on it, the short adapter is not going to work well, as the hitching point needs to be back almost in line with the 3ph arms I Match connection point. Otherwise, the moment you make even a modest turn, the trailer tongue is going to hit the rear tire on the tractor and I am mean going forwards or backing, because of where the pivot point is. I would suggest the correct mounts instead of a compromise.

The short adapter, whats to keep it from pivoting around the pin which secures it in place when any turns or backing effort is made?

·
Registered
956 Posts
this is not quite on point with your question, but let me toss out an alternate approach. if your main task is to haul firewood, have you considered a carry all with some hind of platform or box? It would be much easier to maneuver than a cart. Also, you could load up the carry alll, then let it serve as ballast and fill your FEL. (somebody might have already suggested this; I didn’t read all of the responses.)

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
2019 1025r
134 Posts
This is what I used
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Road surface Floor Flooring

·
Registered
69 Posts
Automotive tire Bumper Tread Automotive exterior Gas

This one is a big nope unless you can use two pins where it attaches.
Sometimes the trailer tries to push you. That would flop over and be bad for you and your tractor.
Are there any metal fabrication shops near you? You could get exactly what you need. An extended drawbar makes towing a lawn cart much easier for sharp cornering and backing.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
For a lawn cart I wouldn't have any problem using the 3 point draw bar, I use one all the time to pull a wood splitter or a 14' landscape trailer around the property.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
View attachment 840394

This one is a big nope unless you can use two pins where it attaches.
Sometimes the trailer tries to push you. That would flop over and be bad for you and your tractor.
Are there any metal fabrication shops near you? You could get exactly what you need. An extended drawbar makes towing a lawn cart much easier for sharp cornering and backing.
You know...I spent all this time trying to figure out the lawn cart thing, then a few days later we ended up getting a Honda pioneer 1000 that has a bed & it can get a lot more places much more easily than the tractor with a cart.

But for the few times I used the lawn cart I used the 3ph draw bar and never ended up employing the method photo'd..it didn't seem safe to me either cuz it only brought the cart out JUST past the iMatch. So when I went around a bend it would have likely bent the tongue, or worse my iMatch.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts