Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used my 1025r this morning to mow, then parked it in the driveway withfhe key in the off switch in the ignition (like i do every time).

Came back to it about 7 hours later it would not start. Battery dead. Recharged the battery and when it started up the hour meter was at zero!

Wtf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
I used my 1025r this morning to mow, then parked it in the driveway withfhe key in the off switch in the ignition (like i do every time).

Came back to it about 7 hours later it would not start. Battery dead. Recharged the battery and when it started up the hour meter was at zero!

Wtf?
I would load test the battery even though it recharged. Batteries don't tolerate the shaking and diesel vibrations real well and often only last a couple of years.

Load tester I use and its a very handy tool and one which saves time and money dealing with any 12 volt vehicles......

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-3180-Battery-Load-Tester/dp/B000F5HU6C/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=MN8G580AO3GX&keywords=battery+load+tester&qid=1569676982&sprefix=battery+loa,aps,182&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVFE1VzlIRlc5VlJIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTk0MjExMlZDUjdEMkozUE9FOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTA2MzA2M0hIUU5HRkdENjJRViZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Also, the battery load tester will not only determine the health of the battery and whether it needs to be replaced, once you start the tractor and leave the load tester connected to the battery, it will show the charging system output and whether its meeting the needs of maintaining the battery correctly.

Should you need an alternator for your tractor, I have a brand new one which is the OEM alternator removed from my tractor with 1 hr on it when it was upgraded to the larger amp alternator (double the stock alternator amps). I will make you a real deal on it and send it to you if it turns out your alternator needs to be replaced (which isn't likely....they usually last 1,200 to 1,500 hours from my experience).........

If it turns out your alternator is not charging as needed, send me a PM and we can talk about the new alternator for a fraction of what Deere gets for one........

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

Wtf?

Congratulations, you just got a new tractor!:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Try re-booting

The microprocessor may have lost its mind when its power source was low on voltage. Try disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds and then reconnect it to re-boot.

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Fun thread, a whole bunch of guys read this and are disconnecting and reconnecting the battery for a great dealer upgrade trade in!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Unless there is something defective, it wouldn't make sense to have an hour meter that would loose it's memory when the power is removed. The meter should have a non-volatile memory that could go months if not years without power applied.

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
Unless there is something defective, it wouldn't make sense to have an hour meter that would loose it's memory when the power is removed. The meter should have a non-volatile memory that could go months if not years without power applied.
Agree, there must be something defective or there was some freak voltage spike. Having an hour meter or odometer that resets itself when power is removed would be kind of silly.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Most likely there is a bug somewhere in the controller that is causing an invalid read / display when voltage is low. By other accounts, removing all power for 30 seconds and re-attaching will reset he computer enough to properly display hours.

I’m interested if this fixes the issue or not. If the actual memory is corrupted by something as common as low/high voltage then we all have new dash computers coming to us for free. If it’s just a temporary display / read issue that just means that dealers will hook up to a stable power source before doing a trade. Similarly, until we know more, of you are looking at a tractor, make sure you verify hours before just going with what’s on the meter. Frankly, if this is a true corruption of the NVRAM, the whole used Deere market is at massive risk.

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
Good news. Still cranked after sitting overnight! Yay

What model year is your tractor?

To have gotten 470 hours out of the battery and probably 3 or 4 years (assuming 2015, or 2016) is pretty good. If the tractor is a model year before 2015, then you did even better................:good2:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What model year is your tractor?

To have gotten 470 hours out of the battery and probably 3 or 4 years (assuming 2015, or 2016) is pretty good. If the tractor is a model year before 2015, then you did even better................:good2:
I bought my 1025r in april 2016. Not sure how you can tell the model year?
Always kept garaged which i am sure helps the battery life.

·
Registered
722 Posts

The 10th position on your PIN number is the year built. A=2010, B=2011 and so on.

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
Your battery should also have a date sticker on it from the factory.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Forgot to mention: this happened on late saturday afternoon so my deere dealer was already closed. So i went to my local advance auto parts. They didnt have the 22nf size in stock, but did have a 51r size with a 25 more cold crank amps. It was their gold 3 year warranty kind and was supposed to e $160+ but the clerk felt bad and sold it to me at the 22nf price of $93 and it had a $15 mail in rebate! Woo hoo!

The 51r is the same length but a little thinner so it still fits nicely in the battery box, and frankly is a little easier to get in there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts