Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Just before last winter I had my tractor serviced at the Deere dealer and all seemed fine. I’ve put maybe 10 hours on it since. I just discovered that it is leaking transmission fluid between the rear wheels. Upon checking the level, I discovered that it is WAYYYY over filled – to the very top of the dip-stick. I am going to send it up to the dealer to have them check where the leak is coming from. I looked in the manual to see if there are any cautions about damage being done if it is overfilled. There are no warnings about that. The only thing it says is "Do not overfill transmission. Oil expands during operation and could overflow." Is there an overflow bleed valve or something whereby no damage will occur? Or can excess pressure build up in the crankcase and cause seals to fail?

I’ve learned my lesson not to trust dealers to get levels correct and always immediately check. I’ve had this happen several times with my cars. What the he## does one have to do… check all fluid levels in the parking lot before leaving? Ridiculous…

Thanks for your help.

Stewart

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Hi folks. Just before last winter I had my tractor serviced at the Deere dealer and all seemed fine. I’ve put maybe 10 hours on it since. I just discovered that it is leaking transmission fluid between the rear wheels. Upon checking the level, I discovered that it is WAYYYY over filled – to the very top of the dip-stick. I am going to send it up to the dealer to have them check where the leak is coming from. I looked in the manual to see if there are any cautions about damage being done if it is overfilled. There are no warnings about that. The only thing it says is "Do not overfill transmission. Oil expands during operation and could overflow." Is there an overflow bleed valve or something whereby no damage will occur? Or can excess pressure build up in the crankcase and cause seals to fail?

I’ve learned my lesson not to trust dealers to get levels correct and always immediately check. I’ve had this happen several times with my cars. What the he## does one have to do… check all fluid levels in the parking lot before leaving? Ridiculous…

Thanks for your help.

Stewart
Did you put on attachments that may have had additional oil in them that wasn't accounted for? They should have left a little room for sure. I like to leave it down slightly until I see for sure that it needs more...

if you have a loader or something maybe it would siphon oil out if you put it on...As the saying goes "If you want something done right....do it yourself"

Reactions: VTTractorguy

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good thought, but the loader was on when they took it for service. It's been on ever since. I noticed an odd thing yesterday... I have a boxblade on the hitch. When I raise the hitch all the up I can hear the hydraulics continuing to strain, even though the hitch is all the way up... as if it is still trying to lift. This seems worse when the engine is at lower RPMs. It's like something is not shutting off.

·
Premium Member
14,906 Posts
Sorry to hear about the leak, but just wondering, did you check the fluid level before starting the tractor and was all hyd left down ...:dunno:

·
Registered
498 Posts
That's a good thought, but the loader was on when they took it for service. It's been on ever since. I noticed an odd thing yesterday... I have a boxblade on the hitch. When I raise the hitch all the up I can hear the hydraulics continuing to strain, even though the hitch is all the way up... as if it is still trying to lift. This seems worse when the engine is at lower RPMs. It's like something is not shutting off.
Your three point feedback lever seems to be out of adjustment. Check the tech manual for the adjustment procedure. You should have not continued Hydraulic sounds once all the way up.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about the leak, but just wondering, did you check the fluid level before starting the tractor and was all hyd left down ...:dunno:
Yes. Just checked it again. Tractor is cold and implements are down on the ground. Here is where the level is on the dipstick:

Hydraulic Level.jpg

It's a bit lower than when I checked yesterday. It was up at the top.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
I had the same problem after having my dealer install my FEL. I received a lot of good advice on how to get the oil back to the right level. Please see this POST.

·
Premium Member
12,755 Posts
Get yourself an oil sucker and draw off the excess oil from the dipstick hole. The small ones work but can be a little messy. One of the ball style shown below can also be used for changing oil in vehicles and small engines.

oil_sucker_3.jpg

oil_sucker2.jpg

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
You have 2 problems.. 1: oil is a lil over full.. 2: oil is overheating due to the hitch control rod being out of adjustment. Whenever a hyd system goes into relief it causes heat. Its squirting hyd fluid at a high pressure thru a smal hole to relieve pressure in the system. Which is what it is supposed to do. The hitch should raise up, come to the top, then if the linkage is adjusted correctly, it should shift the spool back to neutral. If out of adjustment its like holding your loader joystick back forever.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have 2 problems.. 1: oil is a lil over full.. 2: oil is overheating due to the hitch control rod being out of adjustment. Whenever a hyd system goes into relief it causes heat. Its squirting hyd fluid at a high pressure thru a smal hole to relieve pressure in the system. Which is what it is supposed to do. The hitch should raise up, come to the top, then if the linkage is adjusted correctly, it should shift the spool back to neutral. If out of adjustment its like holding your loader joystick back forever.

Thanks everyone for your valued help. And thanks xcopterdoc for this. This sounds like the problem. Can you tell me... Since the tractor has been in this state for quite some time, has any damage occurred? Or is the relief pressure hole saving the system from damaging high pressure? The tractor is still under warranty and I'd like to address this with the dealer.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The relief is the safety valve. Yur good. The fluid may have got a lil hot but surely not something that will cause damage. Change it at 50hrs as per the schedule and all is well.

·
Premium Member
12,755 Posts
Thanks everyone for your valued help. And thanks xcopterdoc for this. This sounds like the problem. Can you tell me... Since the tractor has been in this state for quite some time, has any damage occurred? Or is the relief pressure hole saving the system from damaging high pressure? The tractor is still under warranty and I'd like to address this with the dealer.
The only damage is the mess from oil blubbering out the relief hole. Reduce the oil to the proper level and you will be fine.

But... definitely get that 3PH feedback rod adjusted ASAP.

Reactions: keane
1 - 12 of 12 Posts