Green Tractor Talk banner

1025r hydraulic Upgrades

12K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  dr.diesel 
I want this so bad but considering ive owned my tractor for only a handful of months and still have over 5.5 years of warranty. I don't think im going to be doing it. I find the loader painfully slow.

I'm a very new owner, but I find that comment confusing. Mine doesn't seem to be slow at all. I have only used it a handful of times to pick up a bucket full of mulch here and there.

Best,
I was plowing snow using the bucket this winter and everytime having to lift the bucket to dump on the piles it was painfully slow. For doing a few tasks and that kind of thing it's not bad. Doing a large job like plowing my driveway, it's very noticeable how slow it is. That's why this guy spent a ton of money and time trying to figure out how to make it run faster.

A lot of ppl say the hydraulics on these tractors are slow. I'm used to running tractors and equipment much larger than this which makes one know how slow they are compared too a regular sized tractor.

I've never used a larger tractor so I don't have a frame of reference for what "fast" is. :)

It would have to be one hell of a nuisance for me to be bothered "upgrading" to get what appears to be a somewhat minimal improvement in speed. But I guess if someone uses the loader a lot, all that "wait time" adds up.

Best,
It's all about seat time really. For the normal person whose just using the loader occasionally, it's not a big time. But if you're sitting on the tractor for a couple hours plowing snow or doing a lot of loader work you would be saying this needs to run faster. Being able to do two functions at once is more accurate than being slow. Being able to curl and lift and dump at the same time saves time and sanity.

My problem is I never seem to lift high enough when dumping on a pile. So I need to stop dumping, raise the load more, and then dump again. Yeah, there's a very small sweet spot where you can get 2 functions working but that is the definition of slow.

The hydro upgrade really helps in that regard. The video that TTWT did really showed how much better the response was, especially with the backhoe. It was noticeably smoother to the point where I was amazed at the improvement.

Makes me wonder why Deere doesn't just put the 2025R pump on the 1025R to begin with...
It sounds like it's not just the upgraded pump but also requires the additional plumbing added to it. Because you can get significant improvement on things with the stock pump.

And I think he said the pump for the 2025 was a few hundred more than the pump on the 1025 so that's why jd didn't. All about that bottom line.

No, the pumps would be the same price...or very similar. Almost no difference in the pumps. I think Kevin said 2mm longer!

My opinion, JD trying to differentiate the 2025r a bit from the 1025r. Needed a bit more steering maybe for the larger tires. Overall, if you look at the 2025r design goal as “larger tires and whatever changes from 1025r are required to make that happen”, most of the design choices begin to make sense. I know that offends some 2025r owners. Sorry.

Tim
That makes sense. I was debating between the 1025 and 2025 and it just didn't make sense price wise for no more than you got. It wasn't until you stepped up to the 2038 or whatever it's called before any real differences are made.

I tend to agree with one of the other post. Even though I own a 1025r I can see why Deere didn't punch up heavier hydraulics. Series 1 tractors are entry level and the 1025r is a multifunctional machine. While I have tweaked abilities of my machine "haven't added the upgraded pumps at this point" a lot of the new owners may not be trained or skilled to this point to handle more capacity of functions. This is not to say I don't commend the inventor of this updated equipment as I do and it a good ideal for some. But I would say Deere is cautious on the liability as they are appealing across the board where this inventor is appealing to the speciality market. As you know a lot of our advertising supports are appealing to the speciality market. I suppose Deere could offer a "hot rod" 1025r with all these features but it would compete with the upper series lines. Personally I like the size of the 1025r. I've always been amazed that companiens like "Bobcat" didn't offer a homeowner's model of their equipment. I remember when Deere introduced the zero turn it was a commercial machine under the standards of those larger golf course type mowers, then they finally have just watered them down for the most part to homeowner lawnmower type machines. Engineering and marketing is a very interesting fabric in the American economy.
I agree. I think of the 1025 series as the "entry level" and understand why they didn't just go full on. I also assumed the same thing of they need to dumb these down for the most "entry level" person buying them. They aren't appealing to more seasoned operators as much as they are the more novice. Being this is their entry level, they expect a lot of learning curves from many of their owners as it very much could be their first tractor ever.

Being a more seasoned operator of tractors, I just know what the tractor should be able to do. This upgrade would be a welcomed upgrade for people like myself. The problem is JD wouldn't be okay with me putting this on my tractor without voiding my warranty. I give it a year before JD starts selling their own "hot rod" upgrade that looks exactly like this kit, but costs twice as much.

The 2025R is supposed to be the same as a 1025R except with bigger tires, yet it gets a higher flow pump. I'm not buying the "entry level" or "homeowner" reasoning. In my mind, a smoother running loader or backhoe is exactly what entry level/homeowners needs from a safety standpoint.

Experienced operators can work around the shortcomings, most newbies don't have that level of ability.
I don't know if I buy that. If I was inexperienced, only being able to lift and then dumping and things moving slowly is safer than someone being able to lift while dumping and things moving at a faster pace. While I think the smoother operation would be nice, but things moving at slower pace and only one function at a time is definitely safer.

My fiance hasn't ever been on a tractor before until a week or two ago I had her on lil john helping me. She spent 2 or 3 hours on the tractor and was still struggling with the controls on which way to move the levers to curl which direction.

Smoothing out the action of the hydraulics makes them safer in my opinion. A loaded bucket on the 1025R can get pretty jerky, especially when trying to feather the joystick. More flow really helps that.

And let's remember that newbies aren't newbies forever.
True. When I was loading my buddies trailer with pieces of wood from the beast of a tree I had cut down. It was rough to feather them any amount with that much weight on the forks/bucket.

Just ordered the 9gpm kit for my 3 week old 1025R. Stock flow definitely leaves a lot to be desired. I'm probably somewhat spoiled by the 18.5 gpm flow on my 5 series, but not being able to curl and lift at a decent rate on the 1025R is very annoying. I got a 260B coming in a couple of weeks and a lot of work planned for it, so having decent flow without having to run the engine at 3,000 rpm will be great.

I agree with what others have said about there being LESS wear and tear by keeping the RPMs down, not to mention way less fuel consumption. I used a little Terramite T7 backhoe for years and it had really strong hydraulics for its size and you didn't need to run the little Kubota engine much higher than 1,500 RPM to get work done. I'm hoping the 9gpm kit will give me a similar experience on the 1025R.
Not worried about voiding your warranty?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.