Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new member of GTT and a new owner of a JD 1025r. It's just under a year old now, and I noticed something interesting. The key from my old Craftsman tractor fits my new John Deere. My question is, is there an upgraded ignition available that has individual keys and plugs into the existing wiring harness so there is a little security if the tractor has to be left outside?

·
Super Moderator
5,112 Posts
None that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Nope.

Your best bet is to come up with your own kill switch and hidden location if you are really worried about it.

·
Super Moderator
2,260 Posts
10 bucks says you can stick anything that'll fit in the key slot and it'll turn and start. You could turn off the fuel at the filter by the engine as a deterrent and/or pull a strategic fuse. A hidden kill switch is a great idea.

·
Premium Member
13,417 Posts
Yup, a master disconnect somewhere off the battery could do the trick.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was a bit shocked myself when I took the key to my 2018 2025R to the local farm store to have a spare made. Hand the fellow at the key machine my key, he looked at it took 2 off the key blank display rack and handed all of them back to me. I said no duplicating cutting needed and he said nope....universal key....no cutting needed. I really should not have been surprised. I retired from a Caterpillar Inc parts distribution center and we used to receive the keys to Caterpillar machinery in boxes of many thousands to sell to the dealers as needed. At least most Cat machines are a bit harder to transport and hide if stolen than our compact tractors.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
You can buy a set of "Universal Keys" online for a wide variety of machines.

Here is a link to buy a full set of universal keys for just about everything you would want in tractors, heavy equipment, lawn equipment, etc. for less than $50.

https://www.amazon.com/Keys-Heavy-Equipment-Construction-Ignition/dp/B01CU19QWO/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1532919969&sr=8-11-spons&keywords=universal+tractor+key&psc=1

It's been this way for as long as I can remember. There is a Youtube video where the guy takes the key from his new 1025R and while at the dealership one weekend early evening, he goes around to various pieces of equipment to see what his key would start and everything he tried, the key would operate.

If you are worried about the theft of your machine, you can add a GPS tracker to the tractor for very reasonable cost. Just make sure to hide it pretty well so it's on the machine long enough for you to locate it and get the law enforcement assistance to recover it.

There are numerous very good GPS trackers which you can hide on the vehicle. It's best to have the GPS have it's own battery source or hook it to a very small portable battery supply the size of a cigarette lighter. Make sure anything you consider isn't the old 2G cell technology as parts of the cell system are no longer supporting the 2 g signals. Some have monthly subscription fees, some don't. Some require a minimum service contract, some don't. You have to read the fine print carefully and also the reviews by those who have used the devices.

Here is a link to the page where the GPS trackers are sold on Amazon. There are a bunch to consider.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_10?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=hidden+gps+tracker+for+vehicles&sprefix=hidden+GPS,industrial,195&crid=SX58U4N4518Z

Personally, I added separate insurance coverage on my tractor, cab and all implements so it was covered on it's own and not as part of my homeowners policy. The homeowners policies will cover the tractor for theft while on your property and some other restrictions. Homeowners policies will NOT cover the machine for damage if it's struck by a vehicle while alongside the road, or on someone else's property, etc. For about $200 a year, I have a policy that covers my tractor and implements for $40,000 regardless of the type of loss or where the loss should occur.

To protect against loss, you can spend money on a GPS unit, or other theft prevention / reduction approaches or you can insure the item against loss. I would rather insure the loss and if it's stolen or damaged, use the proceeds to replace it. Items which have been stolen from me in the past, I wouldn't want them back after the theft.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Some ideas: use at your own risk.

1) Chain thru the steering wheel to some other part of the tractor with a padlock.

2) Repurpose one of the safety switches as a circuit with a switch to prevent operation.

3) Install a Tile GPS tracker on the tractor somewhere hidden so it can be found if needed.

4) insurance is a good idea as well.

5) In a hidden spot only known to you, etch a specific phrase or initials on the tractor so that it can be found later.

6) Take picture of each of your implements/tractor, followed by a pic of the vin plate of each machine. Keep these in your phone so that you have them away from home at all times should the need arise.

7) Chain the parking brake pedal down, or drill a hole in the linkage, so that you can insert a padlock underneath the tractor, jamming the parking brake while engaged.

8) Turn off the fuel supply.

9) Remove the starter relay, and/or multiple realys from the fuse block so that the machine is inoperable.

10) Hidden master disconnect keyed switch in the ground cable to the battery.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
There is a reason why equipment like a stolen tractor like these are rarely recovered. Unless the thief were to take the tractor into a dealer for work, no one would ever run the VIN number for any reason through a database which would flag the machine as stolen. However, if your machine was financed when stolen, Deere files a UCC Lien on the tractor and all implements so if Deere were to report the item as stolen on their lien, then perhaps the serial or vin number would show up as stolen if a new lien holder was attempting to make a loan on the machine.

But this is the proverbial needle in the haystack location method. Our local dealer has lost brand new machines and implements right off the dealership lot. Those machines are probably working every day somewhere and as long as they keep the machine away from a dealer where they might check the VIN number to put into their Service Records, then the machine is very UN-likely to ever be found or discovered as a stolen machine.

You have to wonder where so many of the like new major components sold on "auction sites" such as entire engines, entire rear transaxles, etc come from. After all, it's not like many of these machines are "totaled" in crashes and then stripped and sold through salvage yards. They are just stripped and sold through salvage operations......Not all new machine components are likely stolen, but I would be amazed if some weren't.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I also went with insurance on tractor and all the implements. There was some basic coverage under our homeowners insurance for named hazards as my agent calls them. Transporting to deer camp no coverage or any incidents at deer camp no coverage. For about $20.00 a month its covered for anything that might happen to it anyplace and anytime. I can drive it off into the lake we live on and its covered. This insurance coverage is only for personal use of the machine and implements. If charging for doing work with the machine thats a whole different ball game.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
I also went with insurance on tractor and all the implements. There was some basic coverage under our homeowners insurance for named hazards as my agent calls them. Transporting to deer camp no coverage or any incidents at deer camp no coverage. For about $20.00 a month its covered for anything that might happen to it anyplace and anytime. I can drive it off into the lake we live on and its covered. This insurance coverage is only for personal use of the machine and implements. If charging for doing work with the machine thats a whole different ball game.
Another reason why its a good idea to insure the tractor and implements on their own policy is because many of the Homeowners policies have now adopted a deductible which is a percentage of the total insured value. When State Farm told us they were making this change and they gave us a choice to stay with what we had or be subjected to the increased deductible which was about four times what our deductible had been, I objected and asked what it would cost to just maintain the $1,000 deductible I have had for years. Instead of going to a $3,980 deductible, which was based upon their percentage of coverage approach, I think maintaining the $1,000 deductible only increased my homeowners policy premium by less than $90 per year.

For those who cover their tractors under their homeowners policies, they should double check to make sure their deductible per loss is what they think it really is. Having a loss on a tractor and having a $4,000 deductible is going to expose you to much more of a loss on the tractor than would either paying the $20 per month for individual coverage on the tractor as I have done and as mahd7766 has done.

One of our GTT members was struck and very seriously injured on his tractor while plowing the end of his driveway. A car going by lost control and slid off the road and across the members lawn and driveway and struck the member while he was plowing snow at the end of the driveway. In the end, I think it was the auto insurance policy which ended up covering the loss of his tractor which was destroyed, but he had massive medical bills and fortunately had his own medical coverage to help with those costs. He ended up having more than one big operation and spent MONTHS recovering from this. In his case, the auto policy likely also had to deal with his wage loss of being out of work for months due to the accident.

Since I am frequently along side the road with my tractor or even using our private roads to get from one property to another, I didn't want any grey areas in my coverage on my tractor. Technically, my tractor is insured under it's own policy as are the implements and it's also part of the schedule of contents under my Homeowners policy as well.

Another reason to consider your own policy on the tractor is the homeowners policies usually provide a coverage amount total based upon the insured dwelling value. So, while having $60,000 of contents coverage sounds like a lot, it doesn't take long to reach that amount when the tractor and implements are part of the total. If you had a catastrophic house fire and everything was destroyed it wouldn't take long to reach that $60,000 of coverage limit or whatever yours might be. For the small amount it costs to insure the tractor and implements on their own, I personally think it's $20 well spent per month.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
Found this aftermarket ignition & key on eBay:

http://r.ebay.com/WmUv5k
The listing for the HD Switch says the 3 position switch for the 1023e, 1025r, 1026r is for machines without headlights..........So, how does that work?

I see the key listing in a box above.......

Proof once more locks are for honest people.......

·
Registered
24 Posts
I purchased the Ultraguard insurance from the dealer at the time of my tractor purchase. Has anyone had any experience with it?

I noticed in the coverage it says, disappearance under mysterious circumstances is not covered.
But it also says theft is covered?

Weird!

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Ultra guard is a compressive insurance policy. it is only in force during the life of the loan. Once its paid off its done. I have it on my 2038R, Havent had any claims yet.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
I purchased the Ultraguard insurance from the dealer at the time of my tractor purchase. Has anyone had any experience with it?

I noticed in the coverage it says, disappearance under mysterious circumstances is not covered.
But it also says theft is covered?

Weird!
I would think a "Non Mysterious Theft" would be one with a quick conclusion. :laugh:

My understanding is that Basically, if the machine is damaged or destroyed under a covered loss, while the loan exists, the UltraGuard makes sure that the outstanding loan amount due to Mother Deere is paid. I haven't read the actual contract. I certainly wouldn't consider it a replacement for a good comprehensive policy covering the tractor under any circumstances and regardless of the type of loss or loan amount outstanding, if any.

I will see if I can locate the actual policy document for the Ultraguard to read it.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
From the actual policy document..just the exclusion section of the contract.....

ExCLUSIONS

We will not pay for loss or damage caused directly or indirectly by any of the following. Such loss or damage is excluded re
gardless of any other
cause or event that contributed concurrently or in any sequence to the loss or damag
e from a single event:
(a)
Seizure or destruction of property by order
of governmental authority. But we will pay for acts of destruction ordered by governmental authority and taken at the time o
f a fire to prevent its spread
if the fire would be covered
under this Policy.

(b)

Any weapon employing atomic fission or fusion; or nuclear reaction or radiation, or radioactive

contamination from any other cause. But we will pay for direct loss caused by resulting fire if the fire would be covered un
der this P
olicy.

(c)
War,

including undeclared or civil war; warlike action by a military force, including action in hindering or defending against an
actual or expected attack, by
any government, sovereign, or other authority using military personnel or other agen
ts; or insurrection, rebellion, revolution, usurped power, or action
taken by governmental authority in hindering or defending against any of these.
We will not pay for a loss or damage caused by or resulting from any one of the following:
(a)
Delay,
loss of use, loss of market, or
, except as indicated
in the Coverage paragraph,
any other consequential loss.
(b)
Unexplained disappearance (except property in the custody of carriers for hire) or shortage

found upon taking inventory.
(c)

Wrongful conver
sion or other dishonest acts by the certificate holder, certificate holder's employees, or authorized
representatives; anyone else with an interest in the property or their employees or authorized representatives; or anyone els
e to whom the property is
ent
rusted, except carriers for hire. This exclusion applies whether or not such persons are acting alone or in collusion with ot
her persons or such acts occur
during the hours of employment.
(d)
Voluntary parting with any property by the certificate holder,
or anyone else entrusted with the property if induced
to do so by any fraudulent scheme, trick, device or false pretense.
(e)
Collision, upset or overturn of covered property to the extent of any loss or damage

to the wheels, rims, inner tubes, tires, or
rubber tracks of covered property. But, we will pay for loss or damage to wheels, rims, inner tubes, tires, or
rubber tracks if the same accident causes other covered loss or damage to the same piece of covered property.
We shall not pay for a loss or
damage caused by or resulting from any of the following. But if loss or damage by a covered cause of loss results, we
will pay for that resulting loss or damage:
(a)
Faulty material or faulty workmanship in repairing, adjusting, servicing or maintenance
operations.
(b)
Normal wear and tear, hidden or latent defect, gradual deterioration, depreciation, mechanical breakdown, corrosion, rust or
dampness.
(c)
Overheating
or freezing of any mechanical system except while in the custody of a carrier for hire.

This stuff is my opinion of the terms and conditions of the policy document above......
(This is actually pretty typical) Basically, if we get hit by a Nuclear weapon or detonation of a nuclear warhead, even if the war is not formally declared, then you are on your own....

Also, the unexplained disappearance applies to inventory shortages, etc. almost like it's meant for the dealers inventory protection,

Note the unusual language about the loss due to damage to tires, etc.
as I outlined in this color blue above. That's a real unique distinction.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
Here is a link to the entire UltraGuard contract

http://ultragard.getgard.com/policy_terms.pdf

It's several pages long so I didn't post the entire agreement. But the main point of the policy to provide coverage to make sure the indebtedness to John Deere is satisfied. Once your loan is gone, the coverage ceases.

Other than what I highlighted above, the policies terms and conditions are very typical for this type of policy. I would consider this policy more of a protection that you won't end up owing Deere money on a machine which is damaged or stolen, subject to the $500 deductible and the other policy conditions and limitations......I wouldn't consider this comprehensive coverage to protect you against losses to the tractor or damage to the same as you should get under a policy designed to cover the tractor while you own it, such as the policy I described I have through State Farm.

The UltraGuard's focus is more on the satisfaction of the indebtedness. Yes, it will pay to fix the tractor if something happens to it which is covered, but the approach is more to avoid unpaid debt to Deere when the equipment is lost or destroyed or damaged under a covered loss.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The listing for the HD Switch says the 3 position switch for the 1023e, 1025r, 1026r is for machines without headlights..........So, how does that work?

I see the key listing in a box above.......

Proof once more locks are for honest people.......
I believe that references the similar looking keyed headlight ignition switch that is found on some of the smaller garden tractors - poorly worded but I believe that this one is identical to OEM 1025r style (off, run, start) just with a different style key.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Yup, a master disconnect somewhere off the battery could do the trick.

there is a 30A mini fuse in my 4510's fuse box. The box gets pretty dusty, so you can't even tell that it was removed. This 30A fuse is the main power feed to everything, so removing it kills the tractor until its put back in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts