Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, after owning a kubota bx1500 for a few years, I upgraded to a 1025r; 54" autoconnect deck, quick-tach h120 loader and large bucket. Love the tractor but if your anyone that knows me, there's always room for improvement.

So I've done a few things:

The very first thing I did was jumped the pto reverse safety switch because it's a headache to have to hold the switch to back up. ( Don't bother lecturing about the safety concern. I'm aware.)

Then added the ROPS light guards (frickin tree limbs took two sets off my old kubota bx1500).

Next up was lighting. Everything I could replace went to led, headlights, fender lights, blinkers....
Then I added more lights on the ROPS front and rear facing with an extra switch integrated into the stock light switch on aux function. (Switch on column where electric MMM lift switch would go.)

MMM, that plastic discharge chute had to go; terrible. Fabbed a bracket, cut a mud flap and whalla: way easier to not destroy.

Welded some hooks on the front of the bucket. Didn't take a pic after they were painted sorry.

As for other implements, took an old rear mount 60" snowblower and turned it from manual chute rotation to wireless electric. Modified the narrow lift pin arrangement to accommodate quick hitch by halving the bushings and cutting some metal off the lift arms. It's been working great for the last three years!

Added park stands to the 60" rear pto sweeper (very helpful).

Modified the ballast box to accommodate some tools a chainsaw and a vise for sharpening. Forgive the orange thing.... it has been replaced ;)

Let me know what you think. Let's see your mods too! I can't be the only one braggin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,756 Posts
Does your ballast box have any ballast in it?
I wondered the same thing. I see a lot of folks who take their ballast box, turn it into a tool carrier and then use whatever space is left for ballast... when the preferred method would be to add the required ballast first, get the box weighing what it should, and then use whatever space is left over for tool storage.

The primary purpose of the ballast box is dead weight. :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Do a search for the mods, there a quite a few threads out there. Everything looks so far, but slow down a bit.....spread it over some time! I think your brain has been working overtime! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
12,756 Posts
I like the vise for sharpening the chainsaw. :bigthumb:
Same here, although I could find plenty of other uses for that vise as well.

·
Premium Member
14,906 Posts
:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Man after my own heart !!! Why buy it , if you can build it ! Nice job !!!:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does your ballast box have any ballast in it?

Yes I add ballast to the box as needed. If I need weight I use stones and fill the box, if I only need it for hauling tools, I remove the stones and put the tools in. I'm not after a specific weight as the ballast box was 1. A gift. 2. More useful as a carrier in my own uses.
If I need more weight than can be added by the modified ballast box, I can always quick connect to my other implements for around 500lbs

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Do a search for the mods, there a quite a few threads out there. Everything looks so far, but slow down a bit.....spread it over some time! I think your brain has been working overtime! :bigthumb:
My brain is always going. Building a better mouse trap is way more gratifying than buying one. Also this is over the course of three or four years. It's just been put out in one lump. Lol my bad if it was overwhelming.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wondered the same thing. I see a lot of folks who take their ballast box, turn it into a tool carrier and then use whatever space is left for ballast... when the preferred method would be to add the required ballast first, get the box weighing what it should, and then use whatever space is left over for tool storage.

The primary purpose of the ballast box is dead weight. :)
I hear what your saying. It was never my intention to own a ballast box for weight only. If I need ballast that bad I can always hook up to the 500lb snowblower, or the 300lb sweeper. I figured I can make the most out of it by carrying what I would normally be using the tractor for anyways, then space left over, I add stones in for weight. That box is way over what I need anyways since I have weighted rear tires already.

·
Premium Member
12,756 Posts
I hear what your saying. It was never my intention to own a ballast box for weight only. If I need ballast that bad I can always hook up to the 500lb snowblower, or the 300lb sweeper. I figured I can make the most out of it by carrying what I would normally be using the tractor for anyways, then space left over, I add stones in for weight. That box is way over what I need anyways since I have weighted rear tires already.
Neither of those rear implements are heavy enough. Weighted tires is not a substitute for 3PH ballast. According to the H120 loader manual the "minimum" recommended 3PH ballast is 601 lb. WITH fluid filled rear tires.

Be safe out there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
"For what I need" lol I'm not outlifting the limits of my ballast. I've been running equipment professionally for 16 years for the government. Thanks for the concern hey are by the books. The manual is on my workbench too.
Also my tractor does wheelies with the snowblower on the back.... the weight is way out there.
To quote Mike Rowe "safety second"
- dirty jobs

Seriously, thank you. It's important. I have not taken up much room in the ballast box so I can also use most the capacity if I have to. Everything except those pvc pipes is mounted to the exterior of he box. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nice work. Always lots to do and plenty to tinker with. Funny thing is I have identical stroller in different color I have to keep pushing around my garage for my little guy. LOL!

I don't know how to swap the title of my thread but here's a link to the mods I've done.
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/51225-my-first-tractor-jd-1025r.html
Should change title to "I'm Anal and Can't Leave Anything Alone," atleast thats what my wife believes.

Have fun and keep up good ideas.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Nice work. Always lots to do and plenty to tinker with. Funny thing is I have identical stroller in different color I have to keep pushing around my garage for my little guy. LOL!

I don't know how to swap the title of my thread but here's a link to the mods I've done.
http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/51225-my-first-tractor-jd-1025r.html
Should change title to "I'm Anal and Can't Leave Anything Alone," atleast thats what my wife believes.

I gave my nephew his first 2 rides on Betsy! I buy him camo and John Deere clothes and toys! After buying stuff for 6 nieces it's great having a nephew now!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

Awesome thread! I like the 3 pt gauge. Handy!
I've seen a post where a guy fabed brackets to fit the x series front fenders to the 1 series.... may be on my list of to-do's. Don't enjoy running down the road and kicking stones all over the deck and mud on everything....
Here's his finished photo:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
A member over On MTF Screen Name Mayor did something Like this He Used PVC In all 4 corners Of the Ballast Box then filled Is Ballast box with Cement 2305 Weight Box Project - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information :thumbup1gif:

That's pretty much what I was intending to do originally. When I told my father about it, he handed me the chainsaw sleeve he made and said I'll make you one... so I reconfigured mine for the saw on one side and the pvc the other.... adding a small vise I had laying around. I was going to fill it with sand or cement and realized most of the time I don't need the weight, so I add the rocks as needed. I like how his is clean too. No holes drilled... I wasn't so lucky lol but it's functional and that's all that counts!

Reactions: PJR832 and BigJim55

·
Registered
70 Posts
Awesome thread! I like the 3 pt gauge. Handy!
I've seen a post where a guy fabed brackets to fit the x series front fenders to the 1 series.... may be on my list of to-do's. Don't enjoy running down the road and kicking stones all over the deck and mud on everything....
Here's his finished photo:

I found "New Old Stock" x series fenders on a auction site for cheap. Just haven't had time to sit and fabricate brackets. Keep telling myself I'll get them done... almost passing a year now. I think the hardest part isn't making one that works, its making two identical. I'll post pictures if I ever get to cross that project off list.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts