Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the tractor switched around for winter snow battle last week. I'm using the 54" Blade and 54" snowblower like last year but I have made some changes. First, after polling on the forum here, I switched the R4 tires/wheels out to the R3 turf set. I didn't have the ballast box last year but used a home made 1/2 size trash can ballast that weighed about 150lb I think. With the actual John Deere ballast box and filled tightly with paving bricks plus my log chain and shrub grubber thrown on top, I am now at 680lb for rear ballast. I also added a horse stall mat scraper and that is one of the best things I have added. Clean scraping and NO noise from the metal to concrete. I also added a set of LED lights to the rear and that really made a world of difference on my dark rural property. Inside the curtis cab, I never liked the metal step plate just inside the doors so I added a nice grippy rubber step pad that I found at an auto parts store. It may seem silly but the "uncapped" seat adjusting rod and rear axle locking rod always bothered me too so I added caps to make them look a little more finished. I also did this with those small rods that stick out on the upper link of the three point. I don't know how many times I've bumped my head on those sharp edged little things so now when I do bump my head again, it might not hurt so bad! LOL! I also changed the exhaust mod that I did last year. Last year, I created a slight "stack" with the exhaust but some of the exhaust seemed to work it's way into the cab and it was unacceptable. It also was a little too long and did a lot of moving that eventually split the lower mounting tab. The new one clears the tire just fine even if the tractor is tipping down on that side and I don't smell exhaust anymore and even better is NO soot on the tractor after going through a tank of fuel. I also added side mirrors to the doors but didn't photo those yet. I really like having them there instead of looking over my shoulders. I'll add photos below with brief descriptions.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the little rubber step mats just inside the doors. You can see the grippy stuff I put on the pedals too, my feet slip on those when they are wet. You can also see my OCD plugs on the seat adjust rod and rear axle lock and upper three point link.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The exhaust mod now and finally, the horse stall mat scraper, quite possibly my favorite mod this year.:laugh:

And why not add a daytime outdoor shot after a quick cleanup of snow. I really have to say that I noticed a big difference with the turf tires over the R4 AND the 680lb grunt box on the rear. I didn't even need the four wheel assist until I tried to back out of the steepest hill there on the cement pad. I am convinced!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Here's the little rubber step mats just inside the doors. You can see the grippy stuff I put on the pedals too, my feet slip on those when they are wet. You can also see my OCD plugs on the seat adjust rod and rear axle lock and upper three point link.
On your bottom left picture. That seat adjustment rod might be poking the front of your seat. Looks like a little dent is starting to show in the yellow padded part. Had a similar problem with X540. The rod only hit when the seat was folded all the way forward. Ended up bending mine down to make some clearance. The pictures that I posted were of mine before the adjustment.

If I owned your tractor. The first modification would be an aftermarket pedal for the diff lock lever.

Can't understand why JD doesn't give you rubber pads for the forward and reverse pedals. Kind of like what they use on the garden tractors. I can definitely see your foot slipping off the pedal when wet.

Attachments

·
Corndog Hater
11,781 Posts
Nice mods. Thanks for taking the time for the write up and pics. :good2: I agree 100% on the rubber edge on the plow, it's the best! It also doesn't tear up the grass if you push snow off the driveway, like I do. What are you using to keep the floor mat on the tractor so shiny?:unknown:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice pics...serious garage envy, but I don't hate.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On your bottom left picture. That seat adjustment rod might be poking the front of your seat. Looks like a little dent is starting to show in the yellow padded part. Had a similar problem with X540. The rod only hit when the seat was folded all the way forward. Ended up bending mine down to make some clearance. The pictures that I posted were of mine before the adjustment.

If I owned your tractor. The first modification would be an aftermarket pedal for the diff lock lever.

Can't understand why JD doesn't give you rubber pads for the forward and reverse pedals. Kind of like what they use on the garden tractors. I can definitely see your foot slipping off the pedal when wet.
HD, I had an X500 that did the same thing on the seat but on the 1025, the seat adjust rod is well below (maybe even too far below) the seat and doesn't make contact with the seat. Couldn't agree more about the slippery pedals.

·
Super Moderator
5,216 Posts
Having a cab is cheating! :laugh:

She sure looks purdy though! :good2:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice mods. Thanks for taking the time for the write up and pics. :good2: I agree 100% on the rubber edge on the plow, it's the best! It also doesn't tear up the grass if you push snow off the driveway, like I do. What are you using to keep the floor mat on the tractor so shiny?:unknown:
CP, I noticed the same thing about plowing over the grass. Love it! On the floor mats; all of the tire and vinyl dressings that are available are too slick and dangerous for anything you step on so, being an old car enthusiast and collision repair guy for almost 30 years, I found a product in the early 80's that is called Vinyl Top Wax from turtle wax. It's not a wax but a slightly thick, milky clear liquid that actually dries once you put it on. If you look around, you can still find it. I can photo the can later today.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Exhaust pipe position looks ok for snow blade, blower and front loader. But would require redirection with a mower deck. No?

May be another turn out elbow.
Honestly, once I welded the pipe up and reinstalled it, I felt like I screwed up. To my eye, it looked like the exhaust soot would end up all over that loader bracket and the three big bolts but nothing yet. I don't mow with mine but I do have the 60" DOD so maybe once the winter has left us, I can do a quick install of the deck and see where the exhaust stream might land.

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
Got the tractor switched around for winter snow battle last week. I'm using the 54" Blade and 54" snowblower like last year but I have made some changes. First, after polling on the forum here, I switched the R4 tires/wheels out to the R3 turf set. I didn't have the ballast box last year but used a home made 1/2 size trash can ballast that weighed about 150lb I think. With the actual John Deere ballast box and filled tightly with paving bricks plus my log chain and shrub grubber thrown on top, I am now at 680lb for rear ballast. I also added a horse stall mat scraper and that is one of the best things I have added. Clean scraping and NO noise from the metal to concrete. I also added a set of LED lights to the rear and that really made a world of difference on my dark rural property. Inside the curtis cab, I never liked the metal step plate just inside the doors so I added a nice grippy rubber step pad that I found at an auto parts store. It may seem silly but the "uncapped" seat adjusting rod and rear axle locking rod always bothered me too so I added caps to make them look a little more finished. I also did this with those small rods that stick out on the upper link of the three point. I don't know how many times I've bumped my head on those sharp edged little things so now when I do bump my head again, it might not hurt so bad! LOL! I also changed the exhaust mod that I did last year. Last year, I created a slight "stack" with the exhaust but some of the exhaust seemed to work it's way into the cab and it was unacceptable. It also was a little too long and did a lot of moving that eventually split the lower mounting tab. The new one clears the tire just fine even if the tractor is tipping down on that side and I don't smell exhaust anymore and even better is NO soot on the tractor after going through a tank of fuel. I also added side mirrors to the doors but didn't photo those yet. I really like having them there instead of looking over my shoulders. I'll add photos below with brief descriptions.
Are you married, my wife would never let me park my tractor in the house.

:lol:

Nice garage
:good2:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you married, my wife would never let me park my tractor in the house.

:lol:

Nice garage
:good2:
Funny you mention that. When my wife and I met over 21 years ago, the first time she came to my house I had a Harley in the dining room. Her Mom still jokes about that to this day.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Howdy,

I tried searching unsuccessfully for this poll. I'd be interested in seeing the results. I take it the R3's won for winter use? By any chance, could someone please post a link?

Great setup and mods. Clean looking tractor :bigthumb:
Courtney? Is this you? If so, I'm the guy that bought the set of turf tires and rims from you. If it's not you, forgive me. As for the poll, it was very informal, not an actual voting poll. If you search all threads started by me, you should find it easily enough.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Courtney? Is this you? If so, I'm the guy that bought the set of turf tires and rims from you. If it's not you, forgive me. As for the poll, it was very informal, not an actual voting poll. If you search all threads started by me, you should find it easily enough.
Hey Joe,

Sure is. Small world, haha! There was a tiny part of me that thought this might be you, but figured that was a long shot. I'll snoop through your old threads and dig it up :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Great set up. I like everything about it. I would however add extensions to the plow blade making it 60 inches instead of 54. When angling the blade 54 is not 54. I would also add some rear wheel weights they give you more stability and an extra 100 lbs in the right place. They won't transfer weight front the front tires like the weight box will. When you transfer weight and 680 will, that reduces the efficiency of the front wheel drive and steering is much worse.

The ideal thing would be to add a couple hundred pounds to the front end to help off set the 680 on the back end. This would also give you more grunt on the front wheels and improve steering.:greentractorride:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Very nice set-up and garage. I have a rubber cutting edge on my plow, too. I like it a lot!

I have a soft cab and so far so good for me. I think you've got a great set-up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts