Green Tractor Talk banner

1025R indash PTO indicators...

13K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  John Deere 1025R TLB 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone!

Just joined so am a nubie (I know how that can go - member of Turbo Diesel Register, Model Railroader, for decades). I did a search for my issue FIRST but didn't see an appropriate post- here goes...
I seek your input cause:
1. I've seen alot of smart people here while skulking.
2. I can't trust the answers from my local JDD - after all they had it to address issue - returned with fuel pump unplugged:thumbsdown:
3. John Deere will only answer tech questions through a dealer.
4. Other dealers in my area have yet to respond with an answer.

The problem (since ownership):

ONLY the rear PTO light (light F from page 06-4 in manual) ever lights on my dash - and it does so for EVERY PTO selection (mid, both, rear). If it matters I do NOT have an implement attached at mid mount...
PTO Indicator Light (light E in manual) NEVER lights.
Mid PTO Indicator light (light H) Never lights - even when Mid station is selected exclusively.

Does this match other owner's experience or do I have a genuine dash issue?? Dealership passed it off as "that's how they all are..." If thats true for the rest of you guys and gals with 1025Rs I'll accept it humbly (kinda like the cute little wagon light L which is 'not used'?). BUT if this doesn't match your group experience, I'd like to get it resolved before my general warranty runs out in Dec! My girls are training on this thing!!

Thanks in advance for your kind input, I'll always try to pay it forward here!

See less See more
#2 ·
First off,
:wgtt:

Did you purchase this new? If not, someone may have fooled the PTO selector switch to fool the tractor into thinking it's always in rear mode so the RIO won't shut the tractor/PTO off while traveling in reverse.

You probably have a stuck PTO selection switch or have a jumper installed. This is a very serious mole circuit. We can walk you through it. :good2:

#3 ·
Thanks for the fast response Dieselshadow - and the welcome!:good2:

Yes the tractor is brand new (reportedly) as of December. Im first owner and no tinkering done (i'd own it). PTO switch was investigated by field tech, supposedly found to be ok. The RIO will shut down a backing tractor if MID or MID/REAR stations are selected - not if REAR only selected.
Off Seat safeties seem functional (MID selected, PTO engaged --> out of seat, REAR only, PTO engaged --> out of seat, REAR selected, PTO engaged FROM GROUND - operation continues). Thats why I was suspicious of the dash itself, but not getting dealer help! Thanks for your input. All help appreciated!

#4 ·
Well diagnosing from the net from where I am, I'd have to agree. It seems like your ICC is bad. (ICC = Instrument and Control Cluster) This wouldn't take long for a competent JD tech to troubleshoot and diagnose.

Are you still under warranty? If so, and your dealer isn't helping, you need to get corporate involved. I hate saying that because the dealer should be supporting what they've sold, not ignoring the issue.

Have you had any good conversations with the service manager at your dealer? Do you have any other dealers within close enough accessibility to use?

#5 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone!

The problem (since ownership):

ONLY the rear PTO light (light F from page 06-4 in manual) ever lights on my dash - and it does so for EVERY PTO selection (mid, both, rear). If it matters I do NOT have an implement attached at mid mount...
PTO Indicator Light (light E in manual) NEVER lights.
Mid PTO Indicator light (light H) Never lights - even when Mid station is selected exclusively.

Does this match other owner's experience or do I have a genuine dash issue?? Dealership passed it off as "that's how they all are..." If thats true for the rest of you guys and gals with 1025Rs I'll accept it humbly (kinda like the cute little wagon light L which is 'not used'?). BUT if this doesn't match your group experience, I'd like to get it resolved before my general warranty runs out in Dec! My girls are training on this thing!!

Thanks in advance for your kind input, I'll always try to pay it forward here!

Welcome......

You raised a good question, so I had to go out to the garage and check....

I bypassed the RIO because I have no children to worry about and I didn't want to keep using the clothes pin method. I can easily return it to stock by removing a jumper... So, your lamps issues might be different from mine.

On my 1025r, the dash only lights the "H" lamp.... regardless of which PTO is running, (rear, mid, or both). And, only the "H" lamp lights temporarily when the key is first turned on, the other PTO lamps, "E" and "F" do not...

Just so we're all on the same page. Is this your dash diagram?

Line art Auto part Diagram Electrical supply

Text Font Document Line Paper

Did you buy the tractor new? On page 06-6 there's a test for the PTO/RIO switch you might be interested in.

Good Luck!

I see you got more info, I was busy typing so you've answered some questions already......

#10 ·
Welcome......

You raised a good question, so I had to go out to the garage and check....

I bypassed the RIO because I have no children to worry about and I didn't want to keep using the clothes pin method. I can easily return it to stock by removing a jumper... So, your lamps issues might be different from mine.

On my 1025r, the dash only lights the "H" lamp.... regardless of which PTO is running, (rear, mid, or both). And, only the "H" lamp lights temporarily when the key is first turned on, the other PTO lamps, "E" and "F" do not...

Just so we're all on the same page. Is this your dash diagram?

View attachment 391193

View attachment 391201

Did you buy the tractor new? On page 06-6 there's a test for the PTO/RIO switch you might be interested in.

Good Luck!

I see you got more info, I was busy typing so you've answered some questions already......
Erik: if you bypassed the RIO under the seat your lights will still work. If you bypassed it in the harrness in the rear right hand side only the rear PTO light shows. the reason being under the seat it thinks the forward pedal is always pressed, because you tie the switch closed so when you hit the reverse it doesn't know it.

#6 ·
Does the dealer have any 1025r's on the lot? If so, take your key to the dealer and turn one on. Then you can compare yours to theirs.

#9 ·
This is the first thing I would have tried after being told that it is normal.

#7 ·
Hi and Thanks ErikR.

Yes my manual page matches yours. I did perform tests on 06-6 and it passed all! (especially if my 8 and 11 y.o. will be in the seat!). You mentioned that on your steed only the H or mid mount lights (for all) which is different (sorta) from mine where the F light only works (for all) -weird!!

Dieselshadow,
I'm afraid I will have to get corporate involved before the warranty can expire - just gotta figure out how! Emailed them (supposedly) once - no reply (at all - thanks Phil Collins). As to other dealers - can reach by phone. I'm on the Southcoast of MA, so next bearest dealers are western RI or Kensington NH (Rosencrantz - know em, trust em) but transport of :greentractorride: would be a hefty bill. Have tried to rediscuss with my local SM, see his dismissal in my initial post (and then there was the electric fuel pump harness which he denied involvement!)

#8 ·
Did your original "dealer" open a work order about your complaint or did he just give you what I call lip service?
If they did that would be your problem date. Even if they returned the machine no trouble found.

Lip service = when you try and have an intelligent conversation about an important topic. The other peeps mouth moves but nothing of any value comes out. "Totally lost"

#12 ·
Thanks all!

I'll try to get 'onsite' to check models on the lot for reproducibility. Unfortunately I'm heading into a 6 day/week work schedule so dealership will be closed when im available... I dont think being discovered by the local constabulary at a closed dealership will help my cause:nunu: so... In the interim I'm curious just how many 1025R's behave this way versus what the manual suggests. So if others have a moment to go and check theirs and post it, I'll be greatfully watching!

#15 ·
That's interesting????

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Ray, mine works the same as yours. Both are MY2013. It appears that DD machine is a 2017. Wondering if any respondents with MY2017 can chime in and take some pics like Ray's. Seems that OEM build functionality into previous MY vehicles that are not used until later iterations. My MY 2012 VW Passat has rain sensing wipers without the functionality being activated. If you have a VAGCOM clone, you can get into the computer and turn it on, as in newer MY vehicles. This is most likely a similar instance, just that the boys in documentation jumped the gun or screwed up, by showing future dash lights not used in MY 2013.
To answer the ops question about contacting Mother Deere, I used the following 800 number to report to Mother Deere the obnoxious cold start characteristics of my 1025R. I seemingly made little headway, but had suggested a few wars to correct the issue.
Well to my most recent understanding there has been a change made to the more recent MY tractors on start up. The little glow plug light still only lights for about 5 seconds, but the actual glow plugs stay on after starting for 2 minutes to smooth operation getting the engine to light off more reliably.
With all that said, my JDD has indicated after first calling Mother Deere, and being pushed to the Dealer, then hounding them, that there is a DTAC which is basically an unannounced fix for the issue. It seems that the dealer can download a program, and get a special connection cable, to modify the ICC to allow for the longer operation of the glow plugs on older MY tractors. They have the DTAC, but are working on getting the stuff together and figuring out how to do this, so it still has yet to be done.
That all said, it takes Mamma Deere forever to correct issues (4 years and counting on my end). But they did listen, as that was one idea I gave them. But at least MY2017 will start better than MY2013 does.
The 800 number is 8005378233, if they have not change it since. I believe I got this number from the dealer, but could be wrong, as the old mind ain't what it used to be. Don't call just one time. I called multiple times, all different hours and explained to everyone of then my plight. More chance to get a conciencious person who will actually follow through.
xcopter perhaps you can vary the above since you are a tech at a JDDealership? Maybe not cuz you might get fired for spilling the beans.
Good luck DD. Hope it does not take 4 years to fix your problem, as it most likely is a problem.

#16 ·
There is a switch that detects which position the PTO selector level is in. It could possibly be defective or need adjusting. A quick check would be to check PTO operation when on/off the seat. When in the mid or front (both are the same for the selector switch) and the PTO engaged, leaving the seat should kill the engine.

When the rear PTO is selected and active, leaving the seat should have no impact on the engine.

The only method the Instrument Control Cluster (ICC) can sense a front PTO is via the front hitch detection. With that input and the selector level switch (MBR), it has enough inputs to distinguish between mid & front.

It could be a matter of the firmware doesn't provide that functionality. I have two 2017 1025r. If I think of it, I'll check it on each.

Reactions: BigJim55
#17 ·
Thanks Martincom!

You make the first mention of a front (mid) pto hitch detection device. I was wondering if there was a need to actually hitch to the shaft to provide an input that would drive the full ICC dash system. Several dealers told me there is no such device?! Others have been very kind to check new arrivals on their lots - right off the truck. All behave the same as mine... You'll see I did perform the page 06-6 safety checks and all kill functions are correct. I'd certainly appreciate your checking your two 1025R for more comparison. Currently I have no device to couple mid shaft so that test can't be performed currently.

#22 ·
He also has a MY2017. See my rather long post.

#18 · (Edited)
I checked the newest 1025R yesterday and like the others, only the "H" indicator illuminates for both the mid and rear PTO. I haven't defeated RIO as of yet (although it drives me crazy when I mow) nor made any other changes to the factory configuration.

From what I understand, the snow blower or broom front PTO shaft kit includes the additional components for the "Front Hitch Detection". It detects rotation of the front PTO shaft and when it does, the ICC defeats the RIO function so the blower/broom remain engaged when backing up. The ICC could utilize this same detection circuit to differentiate between the mid and front PTO and illuminate the appropriate indicator. I have purchased the 47 snowblower for both of my 1025Rs, but the dealer is storing them for me until late fall when I'll prep the tractor for snow duty. I'll know more about the "Front Hitch Detection" circuitry at that time.

Often, what JD exports to Europe has more functionality than what is sold in North America. For example, the European version of my previous 455 LG tractor had turn signals, rear wheel disc brakes, and retainer brackets to hold the taillights in the seat pan. None of the North American units had these features. The 1026R was and I still believe is the European export model. It has quite a few more things included in the wiring, such as factory prep and disconnect plugs for a Mauser cab, now being offered in North America. The 1026R also has power jacks for trailer wiring along with some other wiring additions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the different PTO indicators function on a 1026R. Perhaps a 1026R owner could chime in.

I'd further speculate the ICC hardware is the same between both units, just the firmware is different. It would seem to me it would cost more to produce/flash and inventory two different ICC units when one would work for either. If it really bothers you not having the separate indicators and assuming they do function on a 1026R, you could probably replace the ICC with a unit for a 1026R and gain that functionality.

It appears Europeans are still more discerning than us North American Hillbillies and Jack Pine Savages.

Reactions: PJR832
#19 ·
I also made note today when on the 1025R that upon turning the ignition to "On", the ICC performs a self test, which includes a lamp test. Only the "H" PTO indicator illuminates in the lamp test. I'm guessing the other indicators are not even installed, as the "Trailer" indicator illuminates during the lamp test and that is only applicable to a 1026R.

#20 ·
Thank YOU! Martincom, I think you're on to something. LMK when you do install the front end stuff if that changes the functionality... As to uninstalled bulbs, etc. Its strange that the OM specifies a function for the other lights while for the "cute trailer thingy" it does specify 'not used'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.