Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow GTT friends,

I am at 99.5 hours on my 1025R, and am about to head out to my local dealer to get the needed oil and filters for my initial oil change. I did the 50 hour service on the hydraulic fluid right on schedule, and all went well. So I figured I could save a few bucks again doing the initial oil change myself and get the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Now...somewhere I heard the initial oil change should be done at 100 hours. However, I looked at the manual, and I don't see a recommendation for the initial oil change at 100 hours. The manual from what I can see only talks about the 200 hour intervals, or annually if you don't put on 200 hours in a year.

The other wildcard I've read about extensively is whether or not the 1025R has break-in oil in it from factory. Since I've run the full 100 hours with factory oil, that point should be mute and not a point of discussion.

Soooo...I look to the GTT brain trust once again for insight/personal experience into the number of hours for initial oil change. 100 hours, 200 hours, other??? I tend to usually lean towards factory recommendations...so if other than 200 hours, is there a manual reference???

Regards,
Mike

FYI...I would characterize my use of my 1025R as average...some FEL work, some BH work, some mower deck work...with a wide range of RPM use from 1575 idle to WFO while mowing to anywhere in between for the FEL and BH.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Sure it says 100 hours somewhere. However it does also say 200 hours for oil or annually. So the question is how old is the tractor?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1025R bought Sept 2013. Yes I understand I am coming up on the annual service regardless. But for others' clarification, is there a documented spot in the Operator's Manual that talks about an initial oil change in terms of hours, and what are the views of other 1025R owners regarding same.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
These engines are so small, an oil change don't cost much and it is easy to do. I'll be changing mine every 100 hours. I am at 99 right now.

With my other vehicles I change as needed. You can send a sample of your oil in to get analyzed, just changing the filter and topping off may be all that is needed.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I changed my oil at 100 hours and went with the Deere synthetic. That 100 hours included mowing, FEL and BH work. It never did burn any oil in that 100 hours and hasn't burned any in the next 50 hours.

I also have the optional 180* thermostat which I believe will help better burn off any condensation collected in the crank case.

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
This is a bit of a controversial subject, but I'll post the excerpts from the TM that talks about intervals and break-in oil. FWIW, I changed mine at 50, haven't lost any sleep or used any appreciable amount of oil.:good2:

1 series engine oil.jpg
engine break-in oil.jpg

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I just toddled out to the shop to see if there might be some hidden information on the under-hood sticker. "Change engine oil @ 200hr. intervals."

Owner's manual is silent on the first change. Tech manual (1026r) pp. 10-15-4 (how'd you like that crazy page numbering system? Worse than Ol' Man Dewey!:laugh:) states the magic 100hr first change...

So, if you're a first timer tractor buyer and a cheap know-it-all *******:mocking: and didn't buy a tech manual and have no dealer contact... you wouldn't know squat and leave the original oil in until the 200hrs. like the OM sez. Simply another JD failure in the "printed word" department.

JD should just admit their failures and openly print the link to GreenTractorTalk on all their paperwork.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I just toddled out to the shop to see if there might be some hidden information on the under-hood sticker. "Change engine oil @ 200hr. intervals."

Owner's manual is silent on the first change. Tech manual (1026r) pp. 10-15-4 (how'd you like that crazy page numbering system? Worse than Ol' Man Dewey!:laugh:) states the magic 100hr first change...

So, if you're a first timer tractor buyer and a cheap know-it-all *******:mocking: and didn't buy a tech manual and have no dealer contact... you wouldn't know squat and leave the original oil in until the 200hrs. like the OM sez. Simply another JD failure in the "printed word" department.

JD should just admit their failures and openly print the link to GreenTractorTalk on all their paperwork.:thumbup1gif:
My dealer recommended 200 hours for the first.....so even with dealer contact it isn't fool proof

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
My first oil change will be at 100hrs. using the either Plus 50
or Shell Rotella T6
. I should be at the 100hr. mark at the end of this mowing season, which will also put me just over the yearly recommendation.
After the initial change, then I will most likely do it at each 100hr. mark or yearly, whichever comes first.
Changing oil more often for ~$30/yr. to me is cheap maintenance vs possible break downs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My dealer recommended 200 hours for the first.....so even with dealer contact it isn't fool proof
Yeap...not "fool proof" at all.

Called earlier this morning and spoke to one of the local dealer service manager's. He recommended for my 1025R changing oil at 8 to 10 hours. When I asked where in the Operator's Manual that was cited, because I couldn't find the reference, he looked for a few minutes and said "yeah...you're right...they don't say when to do the initial oil change".

Called a second local dealer and again spoke to the service manager, and this one said that Deere is "silent" in the OM on the initial oil change, and when he asked Deere, Deere says to do initial oil change at 200 hours on the 1025R.

Very interesting!!! Two local dealers...two opposing recommendations. As psrumors stated "even with dealer contact it isn't fool proof"!

Bottom line...I went to dealer couple hours ago and picked up SAE15w-40 Plus 50 II and filter. Will be heading out to garage to do the initial oil change very shortly coincident with 100 hours on the meter.:bye2:

BTW my 1025R is just about at the 1 year mark as she was delivered 24 Sep 2013...wow amazing how fast that year went by!!! A wise old man once told me, "Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer to the end you get, the faster it goes!!!" HOW TRUE!!! :laugh:

Regards,
Mike

·
Administrator
17,265 Posts
I just really don't like black engine oil.
Your first diesel? Its quite normal for oil to be jet black in a diesel engine, even after only a few miles/hours, just the way it is...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I temporarily took possession of my new 1025r last week. Salesman stated while going over the mower that I should do my first oil change at around 20 hours. (Back in shop for leaking heater core). Last I new, still at .4 hours.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I did my first oil change @ 65 hours. My 1026 was a year old at the time. Since then I change the oil when I put the snowblower on in late fall. I'm at 170is hours now, so the once a year plan works well for me.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Your first diesel? Its quite normal for oil to be jet black in a diesel engine, even after only a few miles/hours, just the way it is...
The first time I pulled the dip stick, I almost panicked. I thought there wasn't any oil in it. Here's a pic of it at 15 hours.

20140902_193134.jpg

(Sorry for the potato quality)

·
Registered
892 Posts
I believe it is the EGR junk that turns oil black in a diesel. I know my truck oil stays pretty clean now where it was jet black in 5 mins before.

I compare it to a human trying to live while breathing only their own farts..

Jim

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
I believe it is the EGR junk that turns oil black in a diesel. I know my truck oil stays pretty clean now where it was jet black in 5 mins before.

I compare it to a human trying to live while breathing only their own farts..

Jim
Jim, diesel engine oil has been turning black long before the EPA started forcing EGR's.

·
Registered
892 Posts
It's possible for them not to, that's all I'm saying.

My oil has 6000 miles on it and it is still pretty darn clear. Just checked it this past weekend. When tuned properly it doesn't smoke out the tailpipe either.

Jim

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
It's possible for them not to, that's all I'm saying.

My oil has 6000 miles on it and it is still pretty darn clear. Just checked it this past weekend. When tuned properly it doesn't smoke out the tailpipe either.

Jim
I think new engines and ultra low sulfur diesel has the oil staying cleaner now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've read in one of the forums to keep the break in oil in till 100 hours and if you change it before 100 hours to put break in oil back in and that is what i did.
About ready to change again and put in rotella

1 - 20 of 33 Posts