Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, King Kutter seems to get great reviews, be very well made and decently priced

Help me pick a model for my 1025R

The "orange" subcompact 48 or 54 inch - understood to NOT be IMATCH compatible - I consider this to make it a no-go

The yellow standard 48 inch tiller - off set as I understand

The professional yellow TG-G-48 with rounded edges preventing pooling of water and dirt, apparently stays cleaner, and IMATCH compatible - I understand my ground clearance may not be great on this

Any opinions gear drive vs chain drive? All these units are gear drive

Have heard a chain drive may be an easier repair...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Hi guys, King Kutter seems to get great reviews, be very well made and decently priced

Help me pick a model for my 1025R

The "orange" subcompact 48 or 54 inch - understood to NOT be IMATCH compatible - I consider this to make it a no-go

The yellow standard 48 inch tiller - off set as I understand

The professional yellow TG-G-48 with rounded edges preventing pooling of water and dirt, apparently stays cleaner, and IMATCH compatible - I understand my ground clearance may not be great on this

Any opinions gear drive vs chain drive? All these units are gear drive

Have heard a chain drive may be an easier repair...
The "orange" subcompact tiller can be made to fit the imatch fairly easy. Everything I've read, seen in person, and watched via YouTube videos has shown me this is one heck of a tiller for the price.

·
Registered
374 Posts
While I can't give you a recommendation, I do have a yellow KK 48" tiller. It is very heavy duty, offset, and trouble free. I doubt that the gear drive is hard to service or repair- the whole side cover comes off, exposing all of the gears. It is very quiet. I don't know if chain drive is noisy, but I do like the idea of gears over chain. I have no doubt that this tiller will last a very long time. I do not use it commercially, but I do till two of our gardens, and numerous gardens for family and friends.
When I bought my 790, it had an Italian tiller with it (Muratori). The King Kutter is definitely more tiller than that one, both in build and weight. I believe that the heavier the tiller, the better it will work.

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
I agree with hodge.
The 48" offset tiller is great behind the 1 series

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Tiller

I purchased a land pride in green 50" rta1250 for 1,860.00. This included tax and delivery. Imatch/quick hitch ready and a little less weight than the King kutter. New Jersey Dealer.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I purchased a land pride in green 50" rta1250 for 1,860.00. This included tax and delivery. Imatch/quick hitch ready and a little less weight than the King kutter. New Jersey Dealer.
Congratulations on the new tiller. Spring is in the air.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
We picked up an orange XB54 for my girlfriends 1023e. I had to get the absolute longest lower pins from Tractor Supply and I milled a flat, almost to the hole, through on the side of a spacer that was too close to the Imatch top hook. Side view of the spacer looking through the hole looks like a capitol D now. Everything hooks up to the Imatch like a champ now. I found the pto driveshaft did not need to be shortened on her tractor using the Imatch. The tiller works great and we have cautiously full depth tilled through sod with her 1023, just had to go slow and even ride the break to prevent this forward rotation tiller from over feeding and stalling. She has a massive garden and the XB doesn't even feel the soil where she works it a few times a year. The 54 inch covers her tracks real good, I highly recommend this unit if you don't want to spring for one of the Deere offerings. She paid $1400.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Don't let the 'non-quick hitch compatible' issue steer you away from the KK XB: Here is my fix.

I chose the XB because it was NOT offset, and the tractor is 47" wide. I presumed that a 48" tiller, offset by 3" would not cover the tire tracks well.

Apparently, from other's comments, the 3" offset is not noticeable, so my 'theoretical presumption' must be false.

Tim

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Not sure if it matters, but I believe the Orange tillers are 4 tine and the yellow are 6 tine. I have a yellow Behlen built tiller. It's been great.

Buzz...incorrect :laugh: KK Orange Tillers are 6 tine just like the yellow ones. There really isn't much difference. One thing I noticed in the spec sheet is that the XB spins at 250RPMs vs. the KK II (yellow) at around 200RPMs (when PTO is @ 540RPM).

But XB is 6 Tine, Gear drive, slip clutch, etc.

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts