Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've searched here and looked at a bunch of threads about 1025R leaks, but I could not find one like ours. It's a 2018 1025R we purchased at the very end of last year. Finally starting to use it more. We have 13 hours on it. I noticed an oil stain on the top right side of the front axle yesterday when the wife was brush hogging with it. When I put the MMM back on after brush hogging, I also noticed where it been leaking on the right front draft arm of the deck too.

I looked up under there as best I could, but there's not much above that area. Some of the frame above the axle is wet with the oil also. Dealer is already suppose to come out and work on our brand new RC2048 brush hog next week (that's another story, though), so I'll be sure to ask them. But just wondering if anyone has seen this before, or has any idea where the leak may be coming from? It is not leaking while sitting in the garage, only while in use.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Since you mentioned the frame above is wet also, the least likely condition is a crack on top of the axle housing where the oil is spitting out. The more likely area is above the axle, where the battery and radiator are. Open the hood and look around where the battery sits for wetness.

There are 3 drain hoses that come through the battery pan to drain fluid, but they are on the right hand side (as you're sitting on the tractor). These 3 dump out close to the axle dipstick. 1 is for the battery, 1 for the radiator drain petcock, 1 for the coolant bottle overflow. These are more likely than the axle itself, but even more likely is the upper radiator hose clamp being loose and leaking, the connectors for the hydraulic oil cooler being loose, or the radiator or hydro cooler themselves.

If it's dry in the battery tray area, check underneath where the cooler lines go to get to the cooler. Maybe there is a pinhole in one of the hoses.

This should give you a start what to look for. Can you tell if it's coolant or hydro oil? Or what color it is?

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Looks like engine oil!!

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Thought about engine oil, but with 13 hrs I would expect the oil to be blacker. Plus how would it get so far forward? There isn't any reason I can think of for engine oil to be up there. Also I would suspect it to be all over the MMM deck.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Thought about engine oil, but with 13 hrs I would expect the oil to be blacker. Plus how would it get so far forward? There isn't any reason I can think of for engine oil to be up there. Also I would suspect it to be all over the MMM deck.
You are probably correct, just looks like engine oil, not hydraulic oil, but then again, who knows. Like any minor leak, they aren't always easy to find. :dunno:

·
Registered
101 Posts
concerning the oil being black. just for grins pull the dip stick and check the color. I bet it is the same color as when it was put in there.

What a bummer. I would let the dealer sort this one out, after you check to see if there will be any charges associated.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
concerning the oil being black. just for grins pull the dip stick and check the color. I bet it is the same color as when it was put in there.

What a bummer. I would let the dealer sort this one out, after you check to see if there will be any charges associated.
That always blows my mind. The oil on my dipstick is so clear that it's hard to see yet when I drain it it is black.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
The hydro cooler lines run in that area too...
Since you mentioned the frame above is wet also, the least likely condition is a crack on top of the axle housing where the oil is spitting out. The more likely area is above the axle, where the battery and radiator are. Open the hood and look around where the battery sits for wetness.

There are 3 drain hoses that come through the battery pan to drain fluid, but they are on the right hand side (as you're sitting on the tractor). These 3 dump out close to the axle dipstick. 1 is for the battery, 1 for the radiator drain petcock, 1 for the coolant bottle overflow. These are more likely than the axle itself, but even more likely is the upper radiator hose clamp being loose and leaking, the connectors for the hydraulic oil cooler being loose, or the radiator or hydro cooler themselves.

If it's dry in the battery tray area, check underneath where the cooler lines go to get to the cooler. Maybe there is a pinhole in one of the hoses.

This should give you a start what to look for. Can you tell if it's coolant or hydro oil? Or what color it is?
Said that :thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,217 Posts
check underneath where the cooler lines go to get to the cooler. Maybe there is a pinhole in one of the hoses.
That's my guess. I believe the lines are pipe not hose.

I have to wonder what fluid is showing low/lower?

Cooler.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
That's my guess. I believe the lines are pipe not hose.

I have to wonder what fluid is showing low/lower?

View attachment 684548
I see that in the catalog now, and that it has a serial number break. Mine is the older version. I have hard pipe underneath then hose connecting to the cooler. Didn't catch the OP has a 2018. Thanks. :thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,217 Posts
I see that in the catalog now, and that it has a serial number break. Mine is the older version. I have hard pipe underneath then hose connecting to the cooler. Didn't catch the OP has a 2018. Thanks. :thumbup1gif:
Either way, you made a good guess IMO. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Maybe the oil cooler itself is leaking...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts