Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone;

I am new to working on tractors, so not sure if this is how things should be - I noticed this little rubber, what appears to be a boot, held on by only a small piece of it. I am worried it should be covering up a joint or something, not just hanging there. Anyone know what this is?

Thanks!!
-Ed

LeftFrontBootOff3.JPG

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,789 Posts
Good one 56FordGuy. :thumbup1gif:
From what I can tell it's not supposed to be there.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
12 Posts
ebj14,

That is your tie rod end boot.... just like the ones on a automobile.

Yes you need to replace it P/N LVA15990

if you do not replace it water and dirt will destroy the joint and it will get sloppy and eventually fail altogether.

mine has started doing the same thing 200 Hrs.... I am keeping it well greased right now, but will be replacing it soon.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
It is definitely the steering cylinder tie rod grease boot. For that boot to get to where it is now, it must be torn somewhere, because the only way that boot can come out is to take the cylinder tie rod attaching nut off and remove the cylinder end from the steering knuckle.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Normally it looks like this...

DSCF7445.JPG

yours probably has a split in it and fell out...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is definitely the steering cylinder tie rod grease boot. For that boot to get to where it is now, it must be torn somewhere, because the only way that boot can come out is to take the cylinder tie rod attaching nut off and remove the cylinder end from the steering knuckle.
Great - thanks for all the replies!

So....is this normal to happen to a new tractor (this happened around 37 hours - I am at 51 hours now)? I am pretty sure the only stuff I've run over is brush - nothing hard and heavy, though I do have lots of blackberries in the heavy brush and they have good sized thorns. For all I know it could have been delivered that way and I just didn't notice it before.

Would this be covered under warranty? Also, when I replace it, do I need to grease the inside of it, or is there a grease nipple I can attach the grease gun to to 'fill' it?

Thanks!
-Ed

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts

So....is this normal to happen to a new tractor (this happened around 37 hours - I am at 51 hours now)? I am pretty sure the only stuff I've run over is brush - nothing hard and heavy, though I do have lots of blackberries in the heavy brush and they have good sized thorns. For all I know it could have been delivered that way and I just didn't notice it before.

Would this be covered under warranty? Also, when I replace it, do I need to grease the inside of it, or is there a grease nipple I can attach the grease gun to to 'fill' it?

Thanks!
-Ed
Should be warranty.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Warranty boys warranty. Make um fix it right.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts

Thanks!
-Ed[/QUOTE]

I think the grease zerk is already there on top of the joint . :greentractorride:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi everyone;

Just FYI, got a call from the dealer, Washington Tractor Snohomish, and they agreed it was a warranty repair and will be taking care of it - they had to order the part so it will be a week or so... Yay!

hanks again for your help!

-Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue with extra part

I have the same issue of a torn boot on a 2016 1025r with only 11 hours. I got the LVA15990 boot kit and it contains the rubber boot, a large green ring and smaller white ring to secure the boot on the top and bottom.

When disconnected the arm there was another white plastic piece around the ball joint. It seems to be misshapen like it was in there crooked or something. See image. I did not get one of these pieces in the new LVA15990. I cannot find this piece listed separately on the exploded parts view either.

Does any one know what it is? Do I need to replace it and if so, with what part number?

Thanks,

Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
Due to above question... subscribing...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Found mine after washing tractor with garden hose after abt 40 hrs. Tears were lateral indicative of over tightening. Dealer questioned weather I ,"ran deep" and tore it. I foward pics of the the lateral tear and they fixed it under warranty. I posted pics under previous thread. Seems to be a common problem. A lot of guys state that if one operates without it, dirt debris etc... Will get in tie rod joint and accelerate wear and tear. I totally agree with them, but wonder why it is designed like a cup that will catch stuff and lead to the same.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

Thanks!
-Ed
Mine has come off 2x now and I had it replaced under warranty both times. First time was under 50 hrs and not sure how many hours were on Betsy when it fell off again.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Does the front tie rod have a seal kit? I see I have a tear in mine and am out o warranty?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same failure on 1023e

Add my 1023e to the failure list at 52 hours.
Dealer will cover the repair as warranty, but I have to pay $100 for him to pick it up at the house.
Is that standard?

Also, the cylinder end really looks out of alignment to me. What do the experts think?

Tom
IMG_20181127_132615848.jpg

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Add my 1023e to the failure list at 52 hours.
Dealer will cover the repair as warranty, but I have to pay $100 for him to pick it up at the house.
Is that standard?

Also, the cylinder end really looks out of alignment to me. What do the experts think?

Tom
View attachment 659440
It kind of looks like the end of the cylinder is bent but could just be the picture. I had the grease zerk pull out of the steering cylinder on my 1025r so I've had apart recently. The bolts are pressed in and the ends are ball type, like the ends on the 3pt arms. It rotates as the steering wheel is turned so the angle could be normal.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts