Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happened today while snow blowing, fortunately I was almost done.

Took the machine out of 4wd, and it came out, but then when I tried to put it back in, there's just a lot of play in the lever and it won't engage. Lever is still attached at the transmission, but I can't see any pin, nut or bolt very well on the linkage as everything was covered in ice and snow, and it's difficult to access within us removing the right side shroud.

Any ideas? Anyone experienced a similar problem?

Does anyone by chance have a diagram of how the 4wd lever attaches to the transmission? Hoping it's a simple linkage problem and nothing internal.

Thanks in Advance

·
Administrator
18,287 Posts
From JDParts ( you can access these too for free)

MP43649________UN11AUG10.gif

Shift Lever, MFWD
CartkeyPART NO.PART NAMEQTYSERIAL NO.REMARKS
1LVU22931Knob1
2LVA16611Arm1
334M7033Spring Pin15 X 30 mm

I'd have to dig deeper into the transmission drawings to find where it's connected to, but you can start with the pin that's shown on that drawing.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I still have mine disassembled from the "Independent Lift" install as I'm awaiting electrical terminals for added wiring. So I took a photo of the where the lever connects to the transaxle:

DSCF1747.JPG

There is not a whole lot there to go wrong external to the transaxle, short of the roll pin falling out or being sheered off.

Just to make sure we're not over thinking this, it is not uncommon to require things to turn a bit one way or the other so the teeth of the gears will mesh. I had to do this with my new 1025R when taking delivery/loading it, at the dealership, for the 4wd lever to engage fully (so I could brake lock all four wheels). Did you try rocking it forward or reverse lightly while applying gentle pressure on the lever?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to make sure we're not over thinking this, it is not uncommon to require things to turn a bit one way or the other so the teeth of the gears will mesh. I had to do this with my new 1025R when taking delivery/loading it, at the dealership, for the 4wd lever to engage fully (so I could brake lock all four wheels). Did you try rocking it forward or reverse lightly while applying gentle pressure on the lever?
Im familiar with what you're talking about and its certainly not that. Theres zero resistance on the lever and it just flops around.

I'm going to my local dealer to buy a new pin, and i'll start there. If it does turn out to be internal, i'm not tackling it myself, i'll tow it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Im familiar with what you're talking about and its certainly not that. Theres zero resistance on the lever and it just flops around.

I'm going to my local dealer to buy a new pin, and i'll start there. If it does turn out to be internal, i'm not tackling it myself, i'll tow it to the dealer.
I hope you didn't take any offense. I was assuming by the age of your machine and the attachments you have, you'd be well beyond that in machine knowledge. However, I've learned the definition of "ass-u-me" one to many times.

Based on your last reply, I'm thinking the roll pin is either gone or sheered. Let's hope for that.

·
Premium Member
14,886 Posts
I've had to replace the shear pin on my mfwd lever 3 times now. This doesn't surprise me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
3 Times ,, not trying to start a big fight but are you trying to kick the lever to put it in 4wd .... Just wondering what is causing so many to shear.

·
Registered
167 Posts
3 Times ,, not trying to start a big fight but are you trying to kick the lever to put it in 4wd .... Just wondering what is causing so many to shear.
When I'm driving, moving in and out of mfwd takes some extreme force. Its easier when you are not moving

·
Premium Member
14,886 Posts
When I'm driving, moving in and out of mfwd takes some extreme force. Its easier when you are not moving

I've had a 2210, 2305, 1026r and now 1025r , Have never put any of the tractors in 4wd while the tractor was moving. Was told by the dealer not to do this.. Yes I will take it out of 4wd while moving.

According to the manual
Using Mechanical Front Wheel Drive (MFWD)

Mechanical front wheel drive (MFWD) enables the powertrain to drive both front and rear axles for improved traction on difficult ground conditions and provides 4-wheel braking. MFWD can be engaged and disengaged on-the-go with light loads and on low traction surfaces.

So just wondering are you doing this at full speed or what ,,:dunno::munch::munch:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it was the easiest fix it could be.

The spring pin (#3 above) wiggled it was half out so the lever couldn't apply any leverage on the shaft.

Fortunately it wiggled itself down so it was easy to tap back into place. Works fine now. Nice and tight.

Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Premium Member
14,886 Posts

The spring pin (#3 above) wiggled it was half out so the lever couldn't apply any leverage on the shaft.

Fortunately it wiggled itself down so it was easy to tap back into place. Works fine now. Nice and tight.

:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts

great to hear. Glad things went well:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
8,134 Posts

Nothing like an easy fix to make your day and put your mind at ease!:good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I've had a 2210, 2305, 1026r and now 1025r , Have never put any of the tractors in 4wd while the tractor was moving. Was told by the dealer not to do this.. Yes I will take it out of 4wd while moving.

According to the manual

Mechanical front wheel drive (MFWD) enables the powertrain to drive both front and rear axles for improved traction on difficult ground conditions and provides 4-wheel braking. MFWD can be engaged and disengaged on-the-go with light loads and on low traction surfaces.

So just wondering are you doing this at full speed or what ,,:dunno::munch::munch:
I do just the opposite. I engage 4wd while moving forward but stop to take it out of 4wd. I always make sure the transmission is freed up before taking it out.

·
Registered
79 Posts

According to the manual

I engage / disengage 4wd ALL THE TIME! I just make sure the wheels are straight and no slipping is going on. I constantly disengage before a turn so I don't tear up the grass (plus I just don't like the added stress on the drive train turning in 4wd, although it may be fine - don't really know).

Glad to hear the fix was easy and cheap! Always good to save money for "attachments":gizmo:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I do just the opposite. I engage 4wd while moving forward but stop to take it out of 4wd. I always make sure the transmission is freed up before taking it out.
Same here, I have never had a problem engaging it. Its always disengaging that's been tricky. Sometimes a wiggle of the hydro peddles makes it easy, pulling the throttle back does the trick other times, and occasionally it's a combination of the two that makes it smooth. There doesn't seem to be anything in the middle, it's either easy or it's not. It usually doesn't take much effort with the peddles to take tension of the drivetrain and the lever shift smoothly. Just a small movement forward or reverse while slightly putting pressure on the MFWD lever and it will shift smooth.

·
Registered
23,040 Posts
I engage / disengage 4wd ALL THE TIME! I just make sure the wheels are straight and no slipping is going on. I constantly disengage before a turn so I don't tear up the grass (plus I just don't like the added stress on the drive train turning in 4wd, although it may be fine - don't really know).
Same here, I have never had a problem engaging it. Its always disengaging that's been tricky. Sometimes a wiggle of the hydro peddles makes it easy, pulling the throttle back does the trick other times, and occasionally it's a combination of the two that makes it smooth. There doesn't seem to be anything in the middle, it's either easy or it's not. It usually doesn't take much effort with the peddles to take tension of the drivetrain and the lever shift smoothly. Just a small movement forward or reverse while slightly putting pressure on the MFWD lever and it will shift smooth.
Same here on all accounts. I can get it to slip in and out easily. I just cringe to hear someone using their foot on that lever.......

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Same here on all accounts. I can get it to slip in and out easily. I just cringe to hear someone using their foot on that lever.......
Yup same here, maybe everything is more durable than I give it credit for but I'm not going to press my luck in finding that out. Once your in the habit of it, to me it's easier to take the tension off the drivetrain so it shifts smooth rather than using force.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts