Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, just finished my first full greasing of all zerks on my new JD with 15 hours on it. The trouble is I could not get to one of them. JD was accommodating enough to provide an access hole to pass the grease gun hose through to grease the front u-joint on the main shaft but after a frustrating 1/2 hour of moving the machine an inch forward, 4 inches back, 3 inches forward, 2 inches back (you get the point) to try to line up the zerk vertically so I can attach the gun to the fitting - No Luck. Does anyone have any helpful hints or "trade secrets" on how to line this zerk up so I can access it? Thanks - Rich

·
Administrator
20,906 Posts
You can reach up under the frame and grab the flywheel to turn it manually, although it is fairly difficult. I use a needle on my grease gun. It works a bit easier than a standard fitting in such a confined spot.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368811306.321418.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dieselshadow - Thanks for your help! Went out and dug out a few stumps and gave it another try after. Rotated the zerk by turning the flywheel as you suggested. Took about 5 minutes tops. All fittings now greased!

·
Registered
716 Posts
One other quick note on greasing that front u-joint. The front and rear u-joint grease fittings are both indexed the same. So I get under the tractor with a small prybar and turn the driveshaft so the rear grease fitting is straight down. This also makes the front one straight down so you don't have to keep peeking up through the hole to see if it is lined up.:lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love my 1026 but the limited access to that front main shaft grease fitting ranks as one of the dumbest designs I've seen. Had they made the access hole the size of a quarter instead of the size of a dime, a standard grease gun tip could access with ease. I see no reason the hole needs to be that small. That's gotta be the design work of an engineering intern, or someone who's never worked on a tractor.

I didn't change the fitting and use a needle tip, but instead ground down part of one of my standard grease gun tips (on one side of the tip, I ground off the hex and a little more, which provided enough relief to allow the tip to match the angle of the zerk when in the access hole ... without doing that the tip goes into the hole but just wouldn't engage the zerk, and if forced you'd probably never get it back out). Otherwise yeah, grab the flywheel and get the zerk pointed toward the dime-sized hole.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If the tractor is on level concrete, and it's in neutral, I can just grab hold of the driveshaft itself and turn it by hand to get the zerk fittings where I want them.

·
Registered
446 Posts
They picked up my 1023 last week to replace the SCV and I had asked the guy that's doing the work to check the alignment of that zerk fitting and the hole that one is suppose to use. Yesterday I called to check on the status of my tractor and the service manager told me I would get it back today with every thing done. They had to get permission to drill out that access hole. He told me that some were manufactured
Mis-aligned and mine would be corrected. Finally fixed. Even though it takes sometime for Deere to come across, My dealer has been great!

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
Ya, I did the same thing trying to bump the engine to align the zirk until someone here said to just turn it by hand. Duh! Anyway, I don't have any problems now with a standard fitting, but I think it will be easier still if I open up the hole a little bit which I might do as I do the fall servicing this weekend.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ya, I did the same thing trying to bump the engine to align the zirk until someone here said to just turn it by hand. Duh! Anyway, I don't have any problems now with a standard fitting, but I think it will be easier still if I open up the hole a little bit which I might do as I do the fall servicing this weekend.
If your under warranty, I think I would have Deere do it just in case. Maybe it could void the warranty. Who knows?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Got the tractor back today and everything is fixed. Here's a picture of the new access hole to that front grease fitting. Did a great job opening that up so a standard grease fitting will go on the zerk now. I don't know why but it put a second picture in there that doesn't belong.

P1070269.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
You guys that have had a problem with greasing that front shaft fitting should think about having your Deere dealer fix the problem. I just received a invoice for what it would have cost and it was $594.00 to fix the problem. NO charge under warranty. The tech filed a Detac case number and Deere got back to them and said go ahead and fix it. He had to remove all oil lines on the frame, cut out area, file and paint. Like I said before, some tractors came with that hole ms aligned.

P1070269.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts