Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new 2021 1025R and absolutely love it! I recently came across a "take-off / used" mid-mount 60" auto connect mower deck from a friend who has a 1023e that is a 2015 model year.

When trying to attach the old mower linkage arms to the frame of my new tractor I found out they're not compatible because JD changed the design a few years back. The mower deck itself has not changed to my knowledge but the linkage arms / mounting system has. The price for the new system is $900. Now I'm debating at that price point should I get rid of the mid mount mower and just get a rotary cutter. Is there any way to make the old mounting system work?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
What are you mowing, a nicely manicured yard, or brush and weeds? With a nice yard, a finish mower would be a better choice than a rotary cutter. But as you have already dropped the cash for a MMM, it would make some sense to me to bite the bullet and spend another $900 for the correct mounting hardware. Of course, the big factor is how much money you have spent for the MMM you now can't use, and whether you can find a buyer willing to pay you enough for it to satisfy you.

Used decent rotary cutters and finish mowers are hot commodities, while used mid-mount mowers are not, as most people who wanted a MMM bought theirs up-front with their tractors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the feedback! All very valid points. It will not be used as a primary mower as I use a zero turn for that. I would use it for trail maintenance and also mowing a horse pasture on occasion that would be knee high.

I was fortunate enough to not have much invested in the MMM already so I'm not out much. It's too bad that the old link arms / mount system can't be used somehow. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has ran into this problem. I was quite surprised when Ag Pro said $900 for the new system.

I also read a different thread that the old deck is not compatible either. Just making sure I have good information. Thank you.

·
Registered
960 Posts
For knee high on trails, a Brush/Flayel mower would be your best bet. Think of how your Zero turn would handle the tall grass and then realize the MMM would be slightly worse. When I try and mow my abandoned fields with my MMM on either the 445 or the 1026R, I have to make 4-6 passes to get the missed stuff down. If I use the Brush Cutter the results though not perfect is a lot better with one pass than two or three passes with the MMM. Best for my fields is one pass with the brush Cutter and IF I want to do better than that a single pass a couple of days later with the MMM. I am not that fussy so I mow the fields every couple of years to keep the brush from taking over. When I could see the fields from the house, I was more picky, but the Cedar Trees have grown so tall over the years, I can no longer see them.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Sell the MMM. That is definitely not the right tool for the job. It is not designed or intended to be a bush hog mowing trails. Stuff will break and it will do a terrible job. Knee high grass is also just not something you can cut with a MMM. It's a lawn mower, not a bush hog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts