Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you have done, just bought a 1025R for my 2 acre property. House and barn are just now being built and the "lawn" does not even exist. When the lawn is planted, it will be less than 0.50 to 0.75 acre as the property is VERY hilly and I plan on using the utility functions of the JD as much as, or more than the mowing function. The dealer recommended having the tires filled, which they outsourced and will deliver to me this week. I have also ordered the BTR as they are VERY COOL and covers my ballast weight needs, carry-all needs and it will roll nicely throughout my shop.

My big question is about the tire weight and exactly what everyone thinks about the effect on the lawn. I will drop the FEL and BTR when mowing...but do you feel a 1025R with filled tires is too heavy for a finished lawn?

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
IF your ground conditions can support the weight.
Don’t put too much topsoil on top of the native soil for your sod and make sure you have plenty of drainage. These tractors can feel a bit tipsy to some on hills so filling the tires will give you more stability.

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,738 Posts
.but do you feel a 1025R with filled tires is too heavy for a finished lawn?
Quick answer is no. You have to remember that you're only adding a couple of hundred pounds +/- depending on what fluid you use. In most cases 200# isn't going to be a game changer. Of course, everyone's soil/yard conditions vary, in general it won't make that much difference.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem but everyone's yard is different. Weight is only one part of the equation, the other being how that weight is distributed over a given area. Those rear tires are nice and wide.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,403 Posts
What tires are on your 1025R? R1's or R4's will be much more aggressive with or without fluid.

As said, the extra couple hundred lbs shouldn't make that much difference unless you have very soft or wet conditions.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I have a hilly yard also. I have a 2025r with rim guard in the tires and it adds 200 pounds per tire. For mowing the wide open flat areas I wish they weren’t filled but for the hill sides and loader work, I’m glad they are. The safety factor offsets any drawbacks, changing your mowing pattern helps also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What tires are on your 1025R? R1's or R4's will be much more aggressive with or without fluid.

As said, the extra couple hundred lbs shouldn't make that much difference unless you have very soft or wet conditions.
I am sad to say...I don't know the tire pattern, but find out today when I go see the tractor. I was so excited to buy a few weeks back, I didn't do my research on the JD sites and youtube videos until after-the-fact. Now, I have to live with my lack of education in tires.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
1,403 Posts
I am sad to say...I don't know the tire pattern, but find out today when I go see the tractor. I was so excited to buy a few weeks back, I didn't do my research on the JD sites and youtube videos until after-the-fact. Now, I have to live with my lack of education in tires.
If it's a standard build it probably has the R4's as that's the factory default.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
I ran my 1025R for mowing with filled tires - if the ground was wet you'd get some tread marks (R4 Industrial tires) but never had an issue. Don't turn tight in 4wd, and engage 4wd if it's wet and uphill/downhill for traction. I have a "country" lawn where I'm not striving for perfection, but it looks nice.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Base weight on a 1025R is 1450 lbs, base weight on my 317 is 700 lbs. Add 200 lbs of York rate plus 50 lbs of 3-pt, 80 lbs fluid, plus 140 lbs wheel weights, plus 150 lbs of front blade and my 317 is now 1320 lbs. Slightly less than the 1025R, but I have ag tires on the rear and drive REGULARLY over my lawn with the 317... NO ISSUES, tracks or marks! Bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been mowing with filled tires and wheel weights and with the FEL on with out any real problems. I do have turf tires. Only slight depressions in early spring. Everyone's property is different but that's my two cents. Enjoy

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I have the tires filled, plus 2 sets of wheel weights on my 1026r ,which is basically the same tractor as the 1025. The weight seems to do more good than harm when mowing. I had originally intended to remove the wheel weights for mowing. But I haven’t taken them off since I put them on.

·
Registered
543 Posts
do you feel a 1025R with filled tires is too heavy for a finished lawn?
+ + + +
No.. I don't think it is a problem.. I had a MMM deck on an older JD855 with loaded turfs.. One day I looked down just in time to see a brown yard toad about the size of a baseball go under the tire.. I stopped and watched the toad hop away with no obvious issues..

Now.. When a toad would hop in front of the deck..... That has a much different outcome...

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
I have 2-72lbs starter weights and 2-50lbs add on weights for a total of 244 lbs added to the rear wheels. I have been mowing since I have the tractor. The additional weight didn’t cause me any damage when I mowed compared to pre wheel weight lawn marks. I felt any marks were from the R-4’s. I recently just changed to versa turfs and that should help me too during lawn work. I not sure what fluid filled tires weigh but hope this info helps. Also, when I mow, no FEL or rear implements are on the rig.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts