Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2018 1025r the other day. Historically using my father's 2015 I hated folding the ROPS down to get in the garage. Having shorter (but functional) ROPS was a priority. Additionally, I really like the older style Curtis Cab. I think the one for the 2018+ is a bit funky looking. For these two reasons, I brought my father's top section of his ROPS over to my house and mounted them to my machine. I then measured how short they'd need to be and transferred that measurement to the upper section. I then ran a piece of tape across and got on and off the backhoe several times to see if my head would hit. Once I got it where I wanted it, I brought both tops sections to my buddy who owns a local metal fabrication shop. He had his water jet cut brackets identical to the older style, which were then welded to mine after cutting them off my section. The result is straight ROPS which clear a 7' garage door while looking factory. I looked at how other people did this and I didn't like how it looked non factory so I thought I'd share how we did mine. If anyone is in the area I'm happy to connect you with the shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Reactions: JD4044M and PJR832

·
Registered
725 Posts
I would still like the shed, never enough storage.

Reactions: JD4044M

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
You know, if your fab buddy wanted to, he could probably make the mounting pieces and sell them to those of us who can weld.
He might be able to make a bit of money doing that, or at the least help a lot of guys out.

Incidentally, Im going to modifying the ROPS on my 2025 soon, and it should also look factory when done.
Im going to be cutting off the old lower brackets with the plasma and re-using them.
Anyway, to the point.
On the ROPS there is a sticker that states any canopy used should weigh less than 100# when mounted to the ROPS.
It would seem that while some believe it is to protect you in a full on roll over, they dont intend for it to do that, but rather stop it from rolling. Extra height kinda lends credence to that too, but regardless of ones position on that, a shorter top bar is preferable to a folded one, which is why Im modifying mine.

In my case, Ill be keeping the forward lean. It doesnt bother me, and shortening the top means it will be further back and even less in the way than it is now when up. Ill be doing a lot of test fitting in the process, so that could change.
Its not all that hard to weld up a couple holes and re-drill for a different angle...but not drilling at all is even easier!

·
Registered
345 Posts
The cure

This mod is the cure for the Door Header Blues. I have suffered from this from time to time. I still have the scars to prove it. I still scratch my head and wonder how can a major safety item, that should be up, have to be folded to down to be put away. When folded down it becomes a head bumper. This could be the solution. Food for thought for my scars. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
I really like it! Nice job. I should look in to that. It might save me from building that new shed with a taller door. Thanks for the info and pictures
If I was building a new building I would put in larger door. Its cheaper during construction that after word.

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler Town & Country
141 Posts
I would love to buy the brackets from your Buddy or you to modify my ROPS. Kent

·
Registered
2015 Chrysler Town & Country
141 Posts
Nobody else but me or have Guys been emailing you Cook? Thanks Kent

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Nobody else but me or have Guys been emailing you Cook? Thanks Kent
Could be lots of guys that cant do the welding work.
I can, but am modifying my current setup and reusing the old brackets after I cut them free, so dont need the brackets.
I figured there would be a bunch of guys interested, but Ive been wrong before.

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
Nothing else. You think I should post in the For Sale section?
You could but I would be careful with the liability involved in producing and distributing a part which modifies a factory safety item. A word of advice, if you are going to do this, spend a little money and set up an LLC correctly and have all sales go through that entity. In this highly litigious world we live in, you don't want your personal assets exposed for a perceived issue which may or may not have any validity.

Yes, someone else is welding the ROPS and your providing bracket to them for their own use, but I have been in business way too long to advise you otherwise.

When something bad happens, the plaintiffs attorney casts the largest net possible, and frankly, since the part originate with you, you are going to be the main target.

Just imagine some Ambulance chaser (no offense to legitimate, reasonable attorney's meant...several of my best friends are attorneys and judges) inquiring into your engineering studies and all of the other details which went into your modification. They will want to know the actuarial risk adjustment for the modification and frankly, squeeze money from whomever they can get to pay. At least protect your personal assets with a separate entity.

Also, if you take the effort to establish the entity, be careful to use it properly to minimize the risk of someone piercing the entities liability veil.........

My $0.02 worth and its worth heeding.......

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
You could but I would be careful with the liability involved in producing and distributing a part which modifies a factory safety item. A word of advice, if you are going to do this, spend a little money and set up an LLC correctly and have all sales go through that entity. In this highly litigious world we live in, you don't want your personal assets exposed for a perceived issue which may or may not have any validity.

Yes, someone else is welding the ROPS and your providing bracket to them for their own use, but I have been in business way too long to advise you otherwise.

When something bad happens, the plaintiffs attorney casts the largest net possible, and frankly, since the part originate with you, you are going to be the main target.

Just imagine some Ambulance chaser (no offense to legitimate, reasonable attorney's meant...several of my best friends are attorneys and judges) inquiring into your engineering studies and all of the other details which went into your modification. They will want to know the actuarial risk adjustment for the modification and frankly, squeeze money from whomever they can get to pay. At least protect your personal assets with a separate entity.

Also, if you take the effort to establish the entity, be careful to use it properly to minimize the risk of someone piercing the entities liability veil.........

My $0.02 worth and its worth heeding.......
I hesitated to reply, but while there is some merit in the above, there are a WHOLE lot of qualifiers that are missing, and this leads to discouraging others to do anything, and thats not really a good thing.
Protecting yourself is fine, but theres also going overboard. Im a BIG fan of CYA, and while the above advice is good advice for anyone starting a business where there is any possibility of a successful lawsuit, I dont see it as worthwhile here.
If he were providing a finished part, then yes, he MAY be liable. Providing two pieces of cut steel, four for the whole thing, for the end user to use as they wish is going to be a tough sell in any court with regard to blame. Especially in this case.
The only way they can be used is by modifying the safety structure already in place. Its not a plug and play. It takes quite a bit of work to make it work in the end.
Could someone try to sue? Sure. Theyd be idiots, but they could try.
What are they going to say?
Whats your complaint?
"You see, I had cut my factory ROPS down to what I thought was a proper height, and used these two end brackets on each side instead of reusing the old ones, and solely due to the pieces in question, (random malady) happened."

"I bought his bracket and ended up (random malady)."
----Were you required to do any work to use these parts?
"Why yes, I was. I was shortening my factory ROPS so I could fit it in my garage, but this guys piece of steel is responsible for my (malady here)."
----Did you know the purpose of the factory ROPS?
"Uh, well, yes."
----Did the seller force you to cut or modify your factory safety device or lead you to believe you would be MORE safe if you did so?
"Uh, no."
----Who was it that wanted to modify the factory safety device installed on your tractor?
"Uh I guess I was the one who took it upon myself to shorten the safety mechanism."
----Did you use a certified welder who uses proper approved techniques and procedures to perform welding on safety equipment?

See where this is going? Yep. Nowhere. Fast.

Having seen many court cases and frivolous (and not frivolous) lawsuits, and being a business owner myself, and having another job in a field replete with lawsuits, I can say with a great degree of certainty that a lawsuit based on that isnt going to go anywhere.
Too easy for any fresh out of law school noob to tear the argument apart before it even gets started.
Any attorney worth anything wouldnt touch it with a 10' pole. Not even the ambulance chasers. They want easy money, and this argument is anything but.
Id have a hard time believing anyone knowing even half the facts of the case wouldnt just laugh the guy out of their office.
And thats just one aspect of it. There is a plethora of things that would also be involved, and they just make it even harder on the other guy.
Unless he is telling them it is just as good as factory, which wasnt ever said, there is very little anyone can do.
Its not what you think happened, its what you can prove.

Now, I dont care what he does, he didnt have any intention of doing anything other than showing us his progress and his modification.
The trouble with advice like given above is that it discourages anyone from doing anything.
Say his buddy read this. No mod for him, because since his buddy did the work, he may believe he is now responsible for whatever happens even after his buddy sells his tractor, until the end of time. People see things like that and take it as gospel, and its not.
Wanna mod a safety switch? Better not.
Wanna disable that RIO? Better not.
Wanna mod anything on your tractor? Better not.
Want a foldable ROPS? Not for long.
See where this goes?
Pretty soon we will be suing the guys selling the RIO disable kits...along with everyone else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ROPS Modicications

Has anyone done a modifications to the ROPS to make it more useful than cumbersome. My first experience was lowering the rops down to allow it to fit into my garage with only a 6' high door. Lowering the rops worked, bot there were no bolt holes that lined up for this. I had to insert the pins and just let the rops sit on them. Secondly, for better driver protection, it would be nice if the ROPS would fold a complete 90 degrees to provide a sort of protective the driver and possible at some point be able to put some type of cover over this.

Just my thoughts...:banghead:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not only is it beneficial to clearing your door but it helps being shorter under tree limbs!:kidw_truck_smiley:

Reactions: Bogarnz

·
Registered
301 Posts
That is a neat mod and it looks perfect.

Dang, I keep thinking that i have attempted my last trip into the barn with the ROPS up :banghead: and surely with maybe another knot or two on the noggin I will adapt to that thing in the down mode. :unknown:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts