Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cutting the grass today and I noticed that when I raised the mower deck to the transport position using the SCV, in a short time it would just return to the lowest position. At first I thought i might have jostled the control and I went so far to even lock the SCV valve in place and it still falls. Will drop from the transport position to the set cutting height (I have it set at about 3 inches ) in less than 30 seconds. Any ideas?

I noticed as I hadn't cut the grass in a while (lots of rain) so I wanted to cut it high and then redo it in a couple of days

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
Unfortunately, its quite normal. The lift cylinder bleeds off quickly so you must use the dial set to the lockup position to hold the deck from falling.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,200 Posts
Unfortunately, its quite normal. The lift cylinder bleeds off quickly so you must use the dial set to the lockup position to hold the deck from falling.
Kenny if that's the case can you tell me what's wrong with mine as it never falls. I've left it in the up position for days and it stays right there. So in my case it wouldn't be normal. Is it supposed to bleed off and if so is there something wrong with mine? :confused:

·
Premium Member
14,110 Posts
AirCav has hyd lift ,,, guessing you have mechanical lift

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,200 Posts
AirCav has hyd lift ,,, guessing you have mechanical lift
You're absolutely right etcallhome. So that makes a difference?! Good to know.

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
You're absolutely right etcallhome. So that makes a difference?! Good to know.
Yes, that's the difference. The SA (single acting) cylinder use to lift the deck in the hydraulic set leaks down badly, not sure why Deere continues them-there are certainly better SA cylinders out there that don't drift like those do.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hydraulic cylinders aren't Deere's strong point... We had a field cultivar where one side would seep down, especially when it was folded up. All newer ones will seem down over night when left unfolded.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes, that's the difference. The SA (single acting) cylinder use to lift the deck in the hydraulic set leaks down badly, not sure why Deere continues them-there are certainly better SA cylinders out there that don't drift like those do.
I thought that leak down was due to the SCV and not the cylinder itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
I thought that leak down was due to the SCV and not the cylinder itself?
Probably a little of both, but in this case since they bleed off so fast I'd say mostly the cylinder is at fault.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Probably a little of both, but in this case since they bleed off so fast I'd say mostly the cylinder is at fault.
Ok. I was just going by what Brian told me when I was asking about top link bleed down (speaking of that I should post a review and video of my top link from him). I am not a hydraulics expert but I try to understand what's happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Deere published this in 2013...

Complaint or Symptom :
Customer complains that the mower deck will not stay in the raised position while transporting from one area to another.

Problem or Situation :
The customer is not using the height of cut knob to set the height of the mower deck, instead they are raising the deck with the hydraulic cylinder and using it to hold the deck in the desired position. The small size of the independent lift cylinder allows the deck to settle faster than the customer expects due to the amount of acceptable leakage in the SCV valve.

Solution :
The independent lift cylinder is not intended to maintain the deck height. Instruct the customer to use the height of cut knob to the select the desired height. This will allow the deck to be maintained at the desired height even when the pressure in the cylinder leaks off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts