Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 2014 JD 1025r with the 54" drive over deck, it's been a great tractor but the mover deck has been a big pain. Without a middle front roller anytime the lawn is not perfectly flat I did a trench, UGH. Anyway my big issue is I had to have the old style center PTO carriage replaced because mine had broken due to it's really poor design. The new hardware looks far more robust. The issue I have is that when the tractor came back from the PTO fix it was scalping badly even with the height setting at the highest position. My dealer sent out a guy to look at it here at my house and he claimed the deck was slightly out of level but he also test moved a section of my lawn and he too saw it was still scalping. He suggested I cut the lawn lower which sounds wrong to me as I don't like my lawn burnt. I called my dealer again and they wanted the tractor at the shop to correct the issue so they came to pick it up. 1 week later they returned it to me and it's still scalping, not as bad but clearly nothing I have ever experienced in the 9 years I have owned this thing. I'm not sure what to think, they want to take it back again but I have no confidence that they really know what's going on. Has anyone experienced anything like this with a 1025r and a 54" deck...?

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Tractor Tim added a front roller to his deck. Maybe this would help?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw his video a long time ago, looks like a great option but it does not work with the 54" deck only the 60 because on the 54" it gets the front off the ground so no auto-connect

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 1025R with three point i match and frontier grapple,bucket loader.
308 Posts
If i knew then what i know now I would not have purchased the auto connect 60” deck. I would have purchased a seperate lawn mower. The auto connect deck a PITA. And its not cheap. It dont come up,high enough. Way to many moving parts. comes out of alignment to easy.

the Kubota bx2230 60” deck beats jd deck hands down. Had that deck for 16 years and never one problem.

Reactions: Lazy Bones

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah Part Timef I'm leaning towards that direction, may just get thru fall leaf falling season and then just sell off the deck and power flow system and pick up a cheap lawn mower, kinds sucks that such an expensive and capable tractor can't just cut grass. Makes me think green may not have been the best choice. It does not help that my dealer constantly rips me off with inflated prices and (in my opinion) un-needed parts.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,674 Posts
What height do you mow the grass at which you have scalping problems? Could you take and post a couple of pictures of the lawn and where the scalping problem happens? It would help the rest of us possibly help you with the issue. Include a couple of angle of the mower deck on the tractor, as well. The more we can see, the more someone might have the answer for you. One thing is for sure, some dealers are good at setting up mower decks, but there are some who are not.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere 1025R with three point i match and frontier grapple,bucket loader.
308 Posts
Yeah Part Timef I'm leaning towards that direction, may just get thru fall leaf falling season and then just sell off the deck and power flow system and pick up a cheap lawn mower, kinds sucks that such an expensive and capable tractor can't just cut grass. Makes me think green may not have been the best choice. It does not help that my dealer constantly rips me off with inflated prices and (in my opinion) un-needed parts.
I like everything else about my 1025R but the mower Deck. Frontier root Grapple sensational. Being able to easily remove FEL very helpful too. Three point hitch imatch excellent. Removing kubota FEL not so easy. 1025R more tip prone then BX2230 was. On 1025R i need to always be on alert. Not at all on BX2230.

the kubota shop at the end of my road. Unfortunately owner, owners son and salesman leave much to be desired. Hated going there for anything. Acted lik3 they were doing youna favor. Salesmen never followed up on agreed pending discussions. Parts and service guys were good. That kubota shop by my house has bad rep.

JD Shop 10-12 miles from my house. The purchase experience was over the top excellent as was the follow up issues of a new owner. Gave me a bunch of free stuff..couple hats,ballast box,extra plugs and caps, extra keys on top of keys I already had. Then the GM guy who sold me the tractor and was very attentive, left, so we shall see moving forward.

not to mention the kubota salesman insulted the trade in value of my kubota. Greedy MF’ers! I listed it that afternoon noon on FB market and by three pm i had over 20 hard offers and that night some one came and gave me almost three times what kubota dealer offered. WTF!took my money next day and locked in on my JD1025R. No regerts.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
I like everything else about my 1025R but the mower Deck. Frontier root Grapple sensational. Being able to easily remove FEL very helpful too. Three point hitch imatch excellent. Removing kubota FEL not so easy. 1025R more tip prone then BX2230 was. On 1025R i need to always be on alert. Not at all on BX2230.

the kubota shop at the end of my road. Unfortunately owner, owners son and salesman leave much to be desired. Hated going there for anything. Acted lik3 they were doing youna favor. Salesmen never followed up on agreed pending discussions. Parts and service guys were good. That kubota shop by my house has bad rep.

JD Shop 10-12 miles from my house. The purchase experience was over the top excellent as was the follow up issues of a new owner. Gave me a bunch of free stuff..couple hats,ballast box,extra plugs and caps, extra keys on top of keys I already had. Then the GM guy who sold me the tractor and was very attentive, left, so we shall see moving forward.
Sure your machine is not creating ruts because you are cutting each time in the exact spot you did last time? Lay a long straight board over the track you take. My bet is you are trenching out the tire areas and the center is high. Had this happen occasionally to me due to soggy ground. Not the decks fault really.

john Deere 1025R
loader
backhoe
47 in tiller
47 blower
5ft landscape rake
10 KW pto generator
Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,674 Posts
Sure your machine is not creating ruts because you are cutting each time in the exact spot you did last time? Lay a long straight board over the track you take. My bet is you are trenching out the tire areas and the center is high. Had this happen occasionally to me due to soggy ground. Not the decks fault really.

john Deere 1025R
loader
backhoe
47 in tiller
47 blower
5ft landscape rake
10 KW pto generator
That's one of the reasons I also suggested / requested the photo's to see what's going on. I can see an occasional scalping situation, but a regularly occurring one make me wonder as well...............It's very important to mow a differnt direction with each mowing for a number of reasons, including reducing compaction of the lawn, preventing tire ruts and also standing the grass up so its cut squarely each time...along with others......

·
Registered
308 Posts

john Deere 1025R
loader
backhoe
47 in tiller
47 blower
5ft landscape rake
10 KW pto generator
Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Its the original poster, Richard P Harvey, who is having rut issues Not me.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,013 Posts
I would also question whether the new hardware is truly compatible with the deck and machine.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
fwiw dept:....fairly level concrete landing pad & my 60d has only been a pita when this operator was in error.....& I believe my dealer was very precise in his set up before delivery & his demonstration(s) of implements upon delivery were great.....further....my neighbor, the Kabota afficando was all over my new machine after he saw my dealer do the drive over & mount demo...this poor guy goes thru a gymnastic exercise to mount & unmount his mower pan..... I added the load & go's to mine & have been really , really pleased with them....NEVER will I mow with dull blades again!.....proud uncomped spoiler: my dealer is in Cicero NY.......pls forgive the heavy typset...accepting ideas as to how to loose this heavy typeset format....lol....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guy's I have owned this setup since 2014 and have mowed my 2 acres of lawn with is each and every year without any big issues other than the occasional trench made because my lawn is not super flat and there is no center roller. But it NEVER ever scalped like it does now and I always mow at the highest setting to avoid burning. I don't think my JD dealer has a clue what's wrong. They have now worked on it 3 times in 2 weeks and it's still scalping. If I make 1 long pass on VERY dry grass it's then clear to see that there is a 10" section that is about 1 inch lower and that strip is all the way to the right (grass chute side), looked to me like they put the right blade on upside down but they say no.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi guys thanks so much for all the input but I have lost confidence in my JD service team to ever get this figured out so the 54" deck will go up for sale very soon. I will take the proceeds and purchase a cheap riding lawn mower which I'm sure will not scalp. Love the tractor but not for mowing.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
4,013 Posts
looked to me like they put the right blade on upside down but they say no.
Have you looked for yourself? Should be easy to tell if a blade is upside down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I pulled the deck off today and the blade is right, I have no idea neither does my JD dealer, I'm done with this mid-mount mower, it's a total joke but the rest of this 1025r is great, selling the deck, power flow and bagger soon. Anyone interested and local to MA please let me know

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.