Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I have limited space in the pole barn I will be storing my JD 1025R and power equipment.... it's a 16' X 24' pole barn. As you can see by the picture, I am running out of room. My other pole barn is a Tshirt Screen Print shop - a little side hobby of mine.

Anyway... I really NEED to be efficient with every square inch of floor space to get all my stuff in. I am working on finishing the wall so I can hang certain items up to reclaim floor space.... wire it... and I have also put a few storage shelves in.

Anyway - that said, I have been researching the Deck Dolly and the Mower Deck Axle solution for storing my 60D deck vertically, and to get it out of the way. I talked this morning extensively with Larry, the owner of MDA... and like others have said, he's a SUPER NICE GUY....and I would almost feel bad NOT going with his product.

My only issue with the MDA... is, getting the deck 'upright' after the axles and wheels are installed on the deck. I do have an FEL, but not sure I want to drill holes in it and install hooks... to lift the deck up. It isn't out of the question, but I am just not quite sure.

The 'Deck Dolly' seems like such a simple, one man operation and seems more maneuverable once the deck is attached. I do like the idea of using a simple lever, the dolly, to easily lift the deck vertical without invoking the time of strap hookup and tractor to get the deck upright. Larry said that two guys can easily upright the deck with his axles...

The Mower Deck Axle has a 16" deep footprint..... not sure what the Deck dolly is.

Can I get input from owners of each... the pluses and minuses of these deck storage aids? Thank you.

Attached are photos to show you the [lack of space] I have to deal with...... we have all lamented, "I wish I would have built this polebarn 5 times bigger than I did!" lol

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
EDIT: Ooops.... sorry Stan, I didn't see your link at first. Thanks for providing that !!! I think I will just go with the Mower Deck Axle....the inventor in this video makes it look pretty nice..and easy.... but the deck he demonstrates on, while heavy, is probably not as heavy as a 60D mowing deck.

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uDq2ApbJmMU

·
Corndog Hater
12,850 Posts
I do have an FEL, but not sure I want to drill holes in it and install hooks... to lift the deck up. It isn't out of the question, but I am just not quite sure.
First off, your buildings look very nice.:good2:

Someone on here once threaded eye hooks through the hole in the front 2 gauge wheel "brackets" and used those to lift the deck. I am thinking you could do that and then invest in some of Kennyd's awesome slings. Wrap the slings around the bucket and use the above mentioned eye hooks to lift the MMM, without drilling into your bucket.:unknown:

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Here is what I see. The snow blower and the deck are not going to be on the tractor at the same time, at least mine aren't. I store my deck in the same place as the snow blower. Looks like you can do the same. I will stop there with my organizational tips. :mocking:

Oh, not sure what your apprehension is about adding Ken's hooks. It is a one time install and done. And, you'll use them way more than you think. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
2015 GMC Canyon SLE
282 Posts
Here is what I see. The snow blower and the deck are not going to be on the tractor at the same time, at least mine aren't. I store my deck in the same place as the snow blower. Looks like you can do the same. I will stop there with my organizational tips. :mocking:

Oh, not sure what your apprehension is about adding Ken's hooks. It is a one time install and done. And, you'll use them way more than you think. :thumbup1gif:
Same here. Ken's Bolt on Hooks have been the most helpful thing I've added to my 1025R. I usually work alone and it can lift way more than me and without injury!

·
Registered
28,163 Posts

Someone on here once threaded eye hooks through the hole in the front 2 gauge wheel "brackets" and used those to lift the deck. I am thinking you could do that and then invest in some of Kennyd's awesome slings. Wrap the slings around the bucket and use the above mentioned eye hooks to lift the MMM, without drilling into your bucket.:unknown:
Taking this idea a step further, with the proper brackets and reinforcement you could hang the deck on the wall. Of course with a couple of Ken's hooks/shackles it would be even easier.

·
Registered
573 Posts
^^ Another vote for Kens BoltOnHooks.

I too was apprehensive about drilling holes in my brand new bucket. Took me almost a month to get the guts to do it. I wish now I hand't waited.

I lift my 60" deck up using those hooks all the time for cleaning, blade inspection and sharpening. Plus about 50 other things I've done in the last few months would have been impossible or unsafe to do without them. The hooks and seat springs, are the most inexpensive and frequently used add-ons I've bought for my tractor.

Kenny has a video on out there on exactly how to do it, step by step and shows you everything you need to do it. That combined with the instructions he sends with the hooks, makes it sooo easy.
The video may seem like it takes a while to do, but thats because he's explaining every detail and giving you some tips. It will take you longer to get your tools out and put away than it will to put the hooks on.

Grab some hooks, watch the video twice, head outside and bolt em up. :bigthumb:

Not-so-Legal statement: I have received no cash, free t-shirts, cheeseburgers, tacos, nor any other means of compensation by Kenny or BoltOnHooks LLC. I'm just one middle aged customer with a bad back and knees that's thankful for the products and customer service offered by the manufacturer. No tractors or operators were harmed during installation. However, my carpal tunnel is flaring up a tad from typing this long post. :) Get Hooked!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I love that idea !! Thanks a ton!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You kind folks are the best! This is my first rodeo with a sub-compact (other than borrowing my neighbors).... and I appreciate the experienced and quality answers the participants of this site offer!!

I have to keep telling myself this tractor is a tool, and not a 'show car'.... hahaha.

My father-in-law said I might help him move a bunch of small rocks to stack around the perimeter of his pond, and I was like, "What?! And scratch the paint on my bucket??!!" lol

Yeah - I know, I gotta get over that.

Thanks again for the advice guys. I think I am going to go with the Mower Deck Axles.... appreciate the feedback from all.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Oh heck, it's only money.... Get the bolt-on hooks, re-arrange your shelving to the other wall where the ladders are now, get a set of Artillian's forks, use the forks to lift the deck onto your pallet rack shelving..... problem solved!

:gizmo::gizmo: :thumbup1gif:

We'll help you spend your money. Don't be afraid to scratch that bucket, that's what spray paint is for. LOL

·
Registered
26 Posts
As long as you're getting Ken's hooks, also get a pair of the matching shackles for inside the bucket. I wondered if I would use mine....and the answer is YES. Sometimes the hooks are better and sometimes the shackles are better, just depends what you're trying to lift and what you're lifting with (chain v strap). I like all of my add ons but the hooks and shackles are hands down my most used (and most favorite).

·
Registered
913 Posts

That was me. It was one of the first storage things that I tried before buying the Deck Dolly and adding the extension handles to it.

Vehicle Scale model Auto part Toy Machine

If you look closely at the bases of the 4 wheels on the deck you can see the eye bolts. The problem was that with the bucket hooks, given the limited vertical lift of the 1025R bucket, I could only get the mower deck about a foot off the ground. I had intended to lift the MMM and store it flat on a 30 inch high rolling metal shipping frame, and rolling that over my box blade, so two implements took up only one floor space, but there was no way that the tractor wold lift the mower deck that high. It was fine for moving the deck from place to place, though.

So now I store the MMM vertically on the Deck Dolly. I do worry about the gearbox oil leaking out but so far I haven't seen any signs of that happening.

The MMM on the Deck Dolly, even with the longer handles, is a real problem for me to lift upright. Back when I was a kid of 50, it would have been OK, but I've got a couple more decades on me now.

If drilling holes into your loader bucket bothers you, the hooks can always be welded on. They are very useful additions. Just FYI, if you go later with a Piranha tooth bar, another useful addition, it requires drilling two even bigger holes.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can anyone provide (or be willing to make) a video showing Larry's Mower Deck Axles installed on a 60D deck, and then lifted upright onto the wheels so the vertical mowing deck can be then be rolled into storage?

I'd like to see this done before I make the mods. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Overhead lift

Before I bought my FEL and Kenny's hooks, I still needed to lift my mowing deck to vertical on a homemade maintenance stand to service it underneath. Previously, I had installed a hand winch with the final pulley centered over one of my garage doors. The beams over the door are pretty substantial. I used this lift to get heavy stuff in and out of my truck bed. But it worked great to lift the MMM to a vertical position as well. In the thread where this post resides, you will see other examples of overhead lift systems that members of this forum use.

Post is here.

Keane

Reactions: JoeFriday1979

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have the "mower deck axle" setup for my 60D. It's an okay setup, but I think the deck dolly is the way to go. I'm not knocking the "mower deck axle" setup at all, just providing my real world feedback. If anyone thinks lifting a 60D with the deck dolly is difficult, you will not be able to use the "mower deck axle" setup as you have to use a lot more muscle to get the wheels in place and stand the deck up. If you lift the deck with straps and the loader, it takes muscle of out the equation. There aren't really any easy lifting points on the deck so I don't prefer to lift mine with straps via the loader. Once the deck is upright on the wheels, you have to lift it slightly and move the entire end that you are lifting if you are turning as the wheels do not swivel/rotate. I'm still in my 30s and can muscle the deck around on the wheels, but if you don't have a strong back you will not like this setup.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.