Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.

I recently bought a 1025R with the 60" deck and have mowed my yard five times. I'm still trying to zero in the mowing patterns and trying to determine the height I want to mow at. I like a longer yard, so I've tried at 3.5" (scalped the yard in several places when I would turn too sharply and a couple of others when I hit bumps). I then moved to mowing without lowering the deck at all (seemed a bit too high, but no scalping for the most part). My last attempt was at 4". Going from leaving the deck up one week to 4" the next week left me quite a bit of clippings. As fast as our grass has been growing here lately, I have gotten a lot of clippings regardless of the deck height.

So, therein lies my question. I'm trying to decide whether or not to get the mulching kit or to just leave the deck as-is and pick up a lawn sweeper. I was just going to go with an Agri-Fab tow behind lawn sweeper. The mulching kit I think is around $350, as is the Agri-Fab lawn sweeper. I know a TKV20 is great, but getting rid of clippings each week would get old and after it is shipped to my house, we are talking nearly $5,000. We are doing improvements on our home and $5,000 will knock out a few of them, as opposed to telling my better half "but I could dump it from the seat and not have to get off the tractor to dump it." For $5,000 I'm going to be told to get off the tractor.

Does the mulching kit really work that great? I really wouldn't want to make the purchase just to still have clippings laying all over like they are now. A lawn sweeper would pick them all up, but then I still have to get rid of them weekly until the growth slows down. Would my preferred mowing height hamper the capabilities of the mulching kit?

I would love any advice from those who actually have the mulching kit and any experiences from it, good or bad. I have read the threads on here about the mulching kit and have watched Tractor Time with Tim's video's about it. Unfortunately, most threads and Tim's videos are several years old. Maybe nothing has changed? I'm just looking for some more recent feedback.

Thanks as always!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The mulching kit on my 2025r with the 60” deck works well. Almost no windrows. I mow at 3.5“ height. I always think it works well not so much that it cuts the grass up smaller but just distributes the grass evenly out the back of the deck. I’m not positive but I think my mulch kit was a little less than $200.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The mulching kit works awesome. Don't hesitate to buy it. Even if you have a couple really high areas that maybe require you to go back over, its less time spent than with a sweeper and you are putting the clippings back into your lawn. Not to mention not having to deal with a pile of clippings and another piece of equipment. I don't have a super nice lawn, but I do hate grass clippings left behind. Since I've put on the mulching deck, I've never gone back over an area twice for grass clippings. It chops them up and gracefully deposits them back out of sight. Now, dealing with leaves in the fall, I have had do do multiple passes but I think that is expected.

FYI - I mow between 3 and 3.5 on the height selector knob. Not sure if that directly translates to the actual height measurement of the deck but I reckon its close.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I've no experience with a sweeper, but have used the mulching kit for about three years. Performance is based the type of grass, on how tall you allow the grass to grow before mowing, dampness of the grass, the blade speed, blade sharpness, type of blades, mower setup correctness, forward speed of the tractor, the number of sharp turns, the terrain and what you do with the mower's anti-scalping wheels. These are going to vary and will account for many, if not all, the positive and negative reports.

I mow 4 acres of pasture, and about a half acre of yard. It is coastal bermuda in the summer and annual rye forage grass (coarse blades) in the winter. Pasture are as tall as I can get it, 4-1/2 inches, and yard at around 3 inches. I keep the wheels on the MMM all the way down for everything. I mow once or twice a week, depending on weather and amount of growth, but try to cut no more than 1 inch at a time. I use the Deere mulching blades. I sharpen them every other week, which is the beauty of having the Load-N-Go ramps on the MMM. I have blade speed at the maximum recommended RPMs, and I do not attempt any speed records. If the grass has had a lot of water and growth gets ahead of me, I'll even mow in the low range setting. For sharp turns, I think having the anti-scalp wheels as close to the ground as possible works best for me. The thick-bladed winter rye (a mix of Attain and Bulldog) is a tougher mow than the coastal bermuda and requires a slower forward speed to get good mulching.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 60" deck, but I added mulching blades (Predators?) to my 46 deck and added a piece of sheet metal to block the discharge chute. I don't mow as often as I should and have to mow slowly, but NO visible clippings!

The concept of mulching blades is they cut the clippings several times making them smaller. Blocking the discharge opening and mowing slowly allows the clipping to be cut several times before they drop out the bottom of the deck. Start with the mulching blades, block the discharge opening and go from there! You can always add the baffles for the mulching kit or get a sweeper later! Bob

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,978 Posts
I considered the mulching kit for my 60D, but at the advice of my dealer, ended up not getting it and getting a sweeper (its for sale if you're in SE PA). The guidance I got for the mulching kit was youn needed to cut often to avoid trying to mulch too much, which isn't always an option for my yard. Sometimes I can't cut do to rain/wet ground for 10+ days, creating what would be too much to make the mulch option work well. That lack of cutting is also a catch 22, because the longer my grass is, the longer it takes to dry out.

The sweeper worked very well for me, and I would just windrow my grass while cutting then follow up with the sweeper. (Ohio Steel, 50" -TSC). The heavier the grass the harder it was to dump, but still manageable with the dump string from the seat. Ended up replacing it with a powered MCS, not because the sweeper didn't work, but because I like toys.

If I had a yard that didn't hold water, I'd absolutely have gone the mulching route.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2025r with 54" MMM and mulch kit. I also use the John Deere branded mulching blades. Not a problem at all on 85% of what I mow. I have one section where the grass grows really fast, and thick because it sits in a run off area for a large field adjacent to my property so it tends to be wet a majority of the time. If I let it go too much and it get too high and thick and is wet then I get some bunching and clumps. It is a small area about 125' x 30' and I will go over it twice - otherwise no problems. Mulching kit also does wonders on leaves in the fall. The only other relevant experience I have is that the baffles of the mulching kit create more places for wet grass to cling and stick too if the grass is too long, too wet or both so you will want to be sure to clean out the deck if you get into thick wet grass.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
Also, you mention you have a newer 1025. Most likely you would get the mulch kit that is around $250, if I recall. There's 2 different ones, depending on the serial number of the deck. Some have gotten the kit that the part number starts with TM and it doesn't work unless you drill mounting holes. The other kit, starts with BV or BLV (or something like that) and it fits perfectly.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Big fan of the mulching kit on my 54HC deck. By far the best mulching mower that I've used. Tall, short, wet or dry in my lawn it's never left a noticable clipping anywhere. In the fall the leaves and grass just vanish when I mow.

Stock JD mulching blades and max RPM mowing.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,495 Posts

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Are you sure thats the right item number?
Install instructions don't mention 1025 or 2025

Reactions: Firemark

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,495 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Once in your cart click on proceed to checkout.
You should see a box to enter on the right side once you get there.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts