Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having issue with the tractor shutting down unexpectedly. It's been happening several times over the last few days. I've been preoccupied when it happens to understand why.

Today I warmed it up and reversed in High. When I let off the pedal it died. Played around trying to start it and ended up turning the key OFF and no issue. A couple of times i've tried to start it in neutral but wouldn't start. Got on, adjusted everything, and good to go.

I tried wiggling around in the seat, playing with the HNL positions, can't recreate it. Any ideas? I sure do not want this to be a continuous thing and without being able to demonstrate it to a Dealer, it won't get me anywhere, I fear.

·
Administrator
17,957 Posts
If its shutting down that quickly, I'd say its related to the Mid-PTO circuit or the RIO. The seat switch is a 2-second delay (I think) whereas the others are instant.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll try playing with the knobs and such. Maybe they are half way out/in.

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Does the display say anything when you are turning the key? If it says Neut, than its your neutral switch or the reverse pedal switch. If it says nothing, could be a problem in the starting circuit.

First things first, tell us if the display says something when you turn the key to start. We'll go from there. :good2:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I have it in nuetral and try to start and it doesn't, nothing displays. When it dies while I am running, it displays the neutral message after it quits.

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
When I have it in nuetral and try to start and it doesn't, nothing displays. When it dies while I am running, it displays the neutral message after it quits.
Just for giggles, try moving your transmission speed pedals just a little bit when trying to start. I wonder if the reverse switch (RIO switch) is causing the hold up.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Played with the PTO, no issues.

In High and a quick reverse and then forward, it dies. Quick forward and reverse it does not. Full tank of fuel, I tried that the first time it died.

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Does it shut off instantly or hesitate and stumble?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shuts down instantly as soon as I let off reverse pedal. Has to be a quick stop to make it happen.

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
It seems to me it's still probably got something to do with the RIO pedal position switch on the trans. Keep in mind this switch is active all the time. It's not just for PTO operation. Look up under the floor and see if there's any debris or if the switch is loose. Maybe a connector is loose?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wanted to close this problem out.

Ended up the wiring harness to the fuel soleniod. The wiring rubs on the bolt at the engine ground strap, an issue to look at for all. Final problem could be the stress from the doubled back wiring at the connector, haven't had a change to decide which yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been having issue with the tractor shutting down unexpectedly. It's been happening several times over the last few days. I've been preoccupied when it happens to understand why.

Today I warmed it up and reversed in High. When I let off the pedal it died. Played around trying to start it and ended up turning the key OFF and no issue. A couple of times i've tried to start it in neutral but wouldn't start. Got on, adjusted everything, and good to go.

I tried wiggling around in the seat, playing with the HNL positions, can't recreate it. Any ideas? I sure do not want this to be a continuous thing and without being able to demonstrate it to a Dealer, it won't get me anywhere, I fear.
I have not had this issue but sounds like a seat safety switch. Under the seat there is a switch to shut off if you fall and roll down a hill Unexpectedly LOL With all the "safty" features its a wonder we every lived this long without them. (sarcasm) I am really thanksful for the sticker that says don't lift objects and dump them on my head. Someone did this somewhere. you cant fix stupid!! Hope you fix it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not had this issue but sounds like a seat safety switch. Under the seat there is a switch to shut off if you fall and roll down a hill Unexpectedly LOL With all the "safty" features its a wonder we every lived this long without them. (sarcasm) I am really thanksful for the sticker that says don't lift objects and dump them on my head. Someone did this somewhere. you cant fix stupid!! Hope you fix it.
Thanks. It was the wiring harness. No issues since then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts