Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand shifting to neutral when starting, but this is ridiculous. I mowed for the first time with the tractor and every time I get off I have to shift to neutral and apply the parking brake (otherwise it will roll on a hill). When I get back on I've already forgotten it was in neutral and almost rolled into the fence, etc. There is no indicator on the dash for neutral either. Why can't they just check for the parking brake to be on when getting off? I'm half tempted to just override the neutral switch. It's a hydro trans so its not going to move anyway in gear. I can't see any downsides to this as the MMM PTO will still disengage if I get off the seat when mowing. Or am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
14,899 Posts
I'll put it this way, if you have any slopes on your property , go to the top of the slope, turn off the key and leave the transmission in L or H range..

Don't get off because your tractor may pass you up .

Mine drifted away and I had the Parking brake set when I parked it. Thankfully it drifted backwards not sure how fast but it tore up 3 sheets of the metal on my building apx 75' away.

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's the way there designed for safety reasons I would think. Once you get use to its not a issue. Most times I put my Fel bucket teeth down in ground and put in neutral, so I don't have to set parking brake on every time.

Kind Regards,
mdgilbreath
1026R with H120 FEL with a WR Long Tooth Bar
Kens Bolt on Grab Hooks http://www.boltonhooks.com
54" Deck mower quick detach
48" Frontier bush hog
48"Frontier box blade
JD imatch hitch
25 Gallon 12 volt Sprayer County Line from TSC
3 Point hitch rig with a 2" receiver bar for sprayer
2" Ball mount to pull utility trailer[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the way there designed for safety reasons I would think. Once you get use to its not a issue. Most times I put my Fel bucket teeth down in ground and put in neutral, so I don't have to set parking brake on every time.
When using the loader or backhoe I would do as you mentioned. The neutral safety didn't really bother me then and I got used to it. When mowing I take both off so it's just the tractor and deck. It wastes too much time when having to move fallen branches, toys, etc.

I think the engineers failed on this one as they are making it easier for the tractor to roll over you. The only time it's convenient is when using the backhoe as having it in neutral with no parking brake allows me to move the tractor forward with the backhoe. I'm actually surprised that's not a safety issue.

·
Registered
223 Posts
What do you mean "every time you get off"? Do you get off frequently while mowing with the engine still running (such to move a branch) or are you talking about when you finish for the day?

If I get off to move a branch or open a gate I leave it in gear and only sometimes set the brake depending on the terrain. I prefer to leave it in gear as it holds the drivetrain stable (unless you are on a hill).

EDIT: you clarified what you mean in the post above. Leave it in gear is my recommendation. I have the seat safety switch bypassed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I have a fenced back yard so I get off multiple times mowing. Honestly the tractor is safer in gear. I need to decide if it makes more sense to bypass the neutral safety or the seat safety. If I bypass the neutral safety the seat safety should still kill the mower PTO, haven't tested this, if I get off the seat with it running. It also comes down to how easy the connector is to access.

I'll be doing bypassing the RIO safety at the same time. In high gear the tractor doesn't stop immediately when letting off the forward pedal so occasionally I like to touch reverse to make it stop. I've tried using the brake but it is too touchy and just locks the rear wheels messing up my yard.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The seat bypass is the way to go, hands down. It's not only easier to get to but it takes care of the annoyance we are discussing along with others. Another example is sometimes I lean forward or up out the seat to look at where the bucket or palletforks are. Having the engine shut down as result is about the dumbest thing.

Tilt the seat up, disconnect the harness from the sensor, press the two metals pins out of the plastic connector (a small pick works well), heat shrink the pins together, ziptie it back against the harness and plug the plastic clip (sans pins now) back into the seat sensor. This is a secure solution and 100% reversible in the future with no evidence of tampering.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I understand shifting to neutral when starting, but this is ridiculous. I mowed for the first time with the tractor and every time I get off I have to shift to neutral and apply the parking brake (otherwise it will roll on a hill). When I get back on I've already forgotten it was in neutral and almost rolled into the fence, etc. There is no indicator on the dash for neutral either. Why can't they just check for the parking brake to be on when getting off? I'm half tempted to just override the neutral switch. It's a hydro trans so its not going to move anyway in gear. I can't see any downsides to this as the MMM PTO will still disengage if I get off the seat when mowing. Or am I missing something?
Well maybe it's because I by-passed the seat safety switch with a jumper wire but I don't understand why you have to shift into neutral and apply the parking brake. Leave it in gear and apply the brake. I do it all the time. On flat land I don't bother putting on the brake. Even on a hill if your just getting off for 30 seconds or less, I leave it in gear (low) and running, do what I have to and get back on and go about my business. Yes it will move some but not far or fast. I do all my work with the tractor in low range, never high.

Reactions: mdgilbreath

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well maybe it's because I by-passed the seat safety switch with a jumper wire but I don't understand why you have to shift into neutral and apply the parking brake. Leave it in gear and apply the brake. I do it all the time. On flat land I don't bother putting on the brake. Even on a hill if your just getting off for 30 seconds or less, I leave it in gear (low) and running, do what I have to and get back on and go about my business. Yes it will move some but not far or fast. I do all my work with the tractor in low range, never high.
It's because you have your seat bypassed. From the factory to get off the tractor with the engine running it has to be placed in neutral otherwise it kills the engine.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I really hope none of you
1)roll your tractor, as say goodbye to your engine, or God forbid you by mmm reduction if it rolls completely over and you are underneath, or
2) you get off with PTO engaged and you foot slips under the deck, or
3) your shoot clogs and you pop off without thinking and clip your fingers cleaning it.

Sorry guys it is just stupid to disable anything beyond the RIO.
Jmho
Bill

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's why I was looking at the neutral switch safety. The seat safety should still apply when the PTO is engaged. Ill have to test my theory this weekend.

Although on my previous 455 I had the seat and rio bypassed and never had an issue.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I really hope none of you
1)roll your tractor, as say goodbye to your engine, or God forbid you by mmm reduction if it rolls completely over and you are underneath, or
2) you get off with PTO engaged and you foot slips under the deck, or
3) your shoot clogs and you pop off without thinking and clip your fingers cleaning it.

Sorry guys it is just stupid to disable anything beyond the RIO.
Jmho
Billa

I totally agree Bill. I don't get it.

It takes what, 1 second to shift to neutral with the one hand while the other sets the brake? Maybe 2 if you haven't had your coffee.

Please consider the safety of others with a potential run away. This forum and others are full of runaway tractor stories and pictures.
Those interlocks were put there for a purpose.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
None of us are as young as we used to be. Our reflexes are slower, no matter what my mother says. (She is 87 and says her reflexes are asgood as when she was 16! NOT!!!!!)Honestly, I thought about the neutral safety. But it is not that important to me. I instinctively pop it in neutral now. It is what you get use to. Think safety first someday you will be happy you did and may never even realize it cuz something bad would not happen. Seen to many bad things in my years. Don't wanna see no more.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
None of us are as young as we used to be. Our reflexes are slower, no matter what my mother says. (She is 87 and says her reflexes are asgood as when she was 16! NOT!!!!!)Honestly, I thought about the neutral safety. But it is not that important to me. I instinctively pop it in neutral now. It is what you get use to. Think safety first someday you will be happy you did and may never even realize it cuz something bad would not happen. Seen to many bad things in my years. Don't wanna see no more.

Once you get into the habit of setting the parking brake to get off, it becomes such a muscle memory thing that I don't even realize it. I think getting into the habit of bypassing safety switches, especially the seat safety switch, is not a good idea. Setting the brake is really not that big of a deal to keep the machine running.

The only safety Issue with the machines that I think is foolish is the RIO and ironically, Deere has just issued a recall on many X7 series because the RIO can fail and "cause a laceration injury to bystanders".......How ironic.

Also, just curious, how many of you were aware of this recall on Deere Compact tractors made in 2013 for dangerous ROPS pins which could fail? I don't recall this being talked about on here and I searched on the GTT site and didn't see it in the first several responses.......

John Deere Recalls Compact Utility Tractors Due to Risk of Serious Injury or Death (Recall Alert) | CPSC.gov

Interesting that they built 4,424 1025R compared to only 77 of the 1023E in the same time frame........

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm retired from printing manufacturing and being around printing presses, slitters and many more other types of paper converting machinery its ALWAYS SAFETY FIRST, and LOCK OUT TAG OUT.
I've seen people get caught up in machinery and equipment so I have to agree with all of the members that say bypass nothing, There Are on these machines for Safety period. If you bypass or any other short cut rigging you just asking to get hurt or hurt someone else. SAFETY 1st.

Kind Regards,
mdgilbreath
1026R with H120 FEL with a WR Long Tooth Bar
Kens Bolt on Grab Hooks http://www.boltonhooks.com
54" Deck mower quick detach
48" Frontier bush hog
48"Frontier box blade
JD imatch hitch
25 Gallon 12 volt Sprayer County Line from TSC
3 Point hitch rig with a 2" receiver bar for sprayer
2" Ball mount to pull utility trailer[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Part of the issue is the low and high gear don't always go in smoothly. I sometimes have to bump the forward pedal and then try putting it in gear. Anyway I'm still weighing the options. I appreciate the responses.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Once you get into the habit of setting the parking brake to get off, it becomes such a muscle memory thing that I don't even realize it. I think getting into the habit of bypassing safety switches, especially the seat safety switch, is not a good idea. Setting the brake is really not that big of a deal to keep the machine running.

The only safety Issue with the machines that I think is foolish is the RIO and ironically, Deere has just issued a recall on many X7 series because the RIO can fail and "cause a laceration injury to bystanders".......How ironic.

Also, just curious, how many of you were aware of this recall on Deere Compact tractors made in 2013 for dangerous ROPS pins which could fail? I don't recall this being talked about on here and I searched on the GTT site and didn't see it in the first several responses.......

John Deere Recalls Compact Utility Tractors Due to Risk of Serious Injury or Death (Recall Alert) | CPSC.gov

Interesting that they built 4,424 1025R compared to only 77 of the 1023E in the same time frame........
My dealer had told me about this when I bought my 1025R in 2013. He said then, the early 2013 1025R's are what was affected by this recall. My 1025R is a late 2013. My SN is later than the SN's listed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Muscle memory

I realize I'm a bit late to the game here but Sulley Bear's comment struck a nerve in me dormant for years. Two examples: 1. I started a new job and the safety factor was far greater than I had experienced in my life previously. They demanded you wear your seat belt in any company vehicle, even on site. I began to use tbe seat belt in my pickup truck constantly, driving around the golf course checking on staff and turf. I'd used it even on a 50 yard trip to another fairway or green. That may sound silly but the "muscle memory" factor kicked in and I did it automatically. My wife commented on it but I was hooked! :lolol:

2. My 22 rifle. I'd used it sparingly to dispatch varmnts, rodents, etc. over the years. I'd run the bolt with muscle memory I suppose as I didn't think about it when I shot. We had a skunk problem for several years. My wife would hold the light and I'd shoot. Well I heard her giggling and wondered what was so funny about shooting skunks.....it wasn't the skunks but my use of the bolt to reload. She said I did it effortlessly and mindlessly, automatically. I gave it some thought and realized she was correct, it was muscle memory and even though I did not shoot often I had developed that memory factor.

So.....setting the brake or other frequently performed items operating our tractors become muscle memory if we do it often enoug and eventually you begin to do it automatically through repetition without thinking of it as your mind and muscles sort of understand the function and easily move in sequence to do it. Sorry to go on about this but Sulley tripped my memory and it flooded out.:drinks:

Reactions: kylew

·
Registered
612 Posts
Thank you for this thread. I have less than 20 hrs on my 1025R and whenever I get off the tractor to move or check something, the seat safety switch turns off the engine, and I have some choice words. Not for the tractor but for me forgetting to put it in neutral :banghead::lolol: . After reading this thread I have another reason (as if it was necessary) to spend more time on tractor, (MUSCLE MEMORY TRAINING) :thumbup1gif: we all have to do what we have to do but please remember though we can and do come up with improvements on how to accomplish our tasks, people can get hurt when we ,without thinking, believe we know more than the experts. So please think long and hard about possible consequences before by-passing safety features. Be safe and enjoy yourselves out there.:usa

1 - 20 of 20 Posts