Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Been lurking for a while, but finally decided to speak up!

We are moving into a new home with 2.5 acres, some landscaping, and a small to medium sized drive way. Decided on a 1025r for the FEL and versatility. My wife even supports the decision! ?

Here's the rub though: the house has an attached 2 car garage that we'd like to keep for the cars and we will need to build a small storage shed or garage for the 1025r. Because we have neighbors, we are looking for a smallish building for the back yard.

I have seen a few 12x16 buildings with a single overhead garage door that may look good, but will it fit the 1025r with a FEL? Only a few small other items will go in the building.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe this is better suited for a different section of the site, but because it was 1025r related, I posted it here.

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hello welcome to the forums, I store my 1025R w/FEL and blower attached in a 18 x 10 foot space, it is actually 18 x 28 shop but the tractor sits on the smaller foot print. A 12 x 16 shed would work I would think. Enjoy your tractor :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
929 Posts
For reference, my 1025 with FEL and BH is just under 16' long. So you will only have a couple feet in length to play with. I built mine at 24' deep, so there is plenty of room. 12' wide will be plenty if you keep it off to one side, you should have more storage room. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Pay attention to the door height if you buy anything so the tractor will fit with the ROPS up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
I have a 14' bed on my trailer. If I put my 1025R with the 3 point, 3 point JD quick hitch, heavy hitch 3 point receiver/weight bar, 40 lb. suitcase weights hanging on the weight bar and the FEL attached, I cannot lower the bucket onto the trailer bed. I have to leave it raised over the rear ramp.

So, will a 1025R with the FEL and rear ballast box attached fit in a 12 x 16 foot shed, yes if you have the tractor sitting the 16' direction but not with a lot of extra room.

Something else to consider since you are buying a shed. Have them build it slightly higher and put a 7'-6" high overhead door in the end where the tractor will travel in and out. With a 7'-6" high door opening, you can leave the ROPS up. They will not fit in a 7' high door.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
If you have the space, I would HIGHLY recommend that you build larger than 12x16. You will need to be able to store your tractor and loader when the loader is detached. You'll also want to store your mower deck when it is not attached. Also, rear ballast, fuel storage, etc.

I chose 24x24, and I wouldn't want to go any smaller.

Tim

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Tim - as soon as I read the OP's question I thought of you. Don't you have a thread or a video on building your shed/barn? It would probably be super helpful to the OP to see your setup.

To the OP - congrats on your new place! :good2: And, I'm guessing from your handle that you might have spent some time in the military. If so - THANKS for your service! :usa

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I put a 16x30 foot up. Wish it was wider. Just sayin.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Tim - as soon as I read the OP's question I thought of you. Don't you have a thread or a video on building your shed/barn? It would probably be super helpful to the OP to see your setup.

To the OP - congrats on your new place! :good2: And, I'm guessing from your handle that you might have spent some time in the military. If so - THANKS for your service! :usa
Here is a link to my 'playlist' of pole-barn videos. I LOVE my little shed. Of course, like EVERYONE who builds a shed, I wish it were larger :)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuUZ6lo0MDxBzPsL43goNOBqVWTfvD26Q

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
You will want additional implements in the future. I could pack everything I have and a couple that I want in the future into the 12 X 16 space, but here's the problem: There will be times when the weather is bad and you want to work on the tractor or change out implements in the shelter of the garage. If you have it packed that tight, you won't have any room to work and you will be very frustrated. Or, cold and wet working on it outside the garage. You will also want room in the garage for a few other things, like tools and a heater. If you can afford it, I'd go a little bigger.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Build the biggest shop/shed you can afford. As a land owner you will acquire more equipment than just the 1 series tractor. You will also need space in which to service the tractor or vehicles. When I lived in KY, I lived on 1 acre but had a 1500 sqft shop. Unfortunately due to Uncle Sam, I had to move from that set up to Texas, where I also lived on 1 acre. I built a 1200 sqft shop on that lot. The building, while big, did not look out of place for a 1 acre lot. I have filled each shop I have owned and lot of it was because of the green stuff I owned. I only have a SCUT and Garden Tractor but they come with a lot of attachments. Now that I am here in NC hopefully on my die in place property I am contemplating how big of a shop to build.

FWIW, when I built the shop in Texas, I was concerned about the cost and return on investment because I knew I would not stay in that house for long. I was able to recoup all of my costs for the building and even make some money when I sold the place. In my experience a shop/out building adds value to your property so consider it an investment. If for nothing else it helps sell a place because finding a decent shop to go with a decent house on land is kind of hard to be honest. I couldn't find a set up like that here in that part of NC that I live in so had buy property and build. :bigbeer:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,867 Posts
Hello all! Been lurking for a while, but finally decided to speak up!

We are moving into a new home with 2.5 acres, some landscaping, and a small to medium sized drive way. Decided on a 1025r for the FEL and versatility. My wife even supports the decision! ?

Here's the rub though: the house has an attached 2 car garage that we'd like to keep for the cars and we will need to build a small storage shed or garage for the 1025r. Because we have neighbors, we are looking for a smallish building for the back yard.

I have seen a few 12x16 buildings with a single overhead garage door that may look good, but will it fit the 1025r with a FEL? Only a few small other items will go in the building.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe this is better suited for a different section of the site, but because it was 1025r related, I posted it here.

Thanks!
Welcome to GTT NavyShave.
As others have said, go bigger, if you can. Cheaper now than later.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,867 Posts
Thanks to all for your advice. We are considering larger, as long as it doesn't distract from our yard. I'll keep you all posted as this unfolds! And yes, I am still active Navy, and it's my pleasure to serve!
Go Navy! :thumbup1gif: :usa
Where are you located? Maybe add it to your profile.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Thanks to all for your advice. We are considering larger, as long as it doesn't distract from our yard. I'll keep you all posted as this unfolds! And yes, I am still active Navy, and it's my pleasure to serve!

It won't distract - it will only add to the ambiance. :good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Everything has pretty much been covered so I'll just add...Thanks for your ongoing service. :usa :usa

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For local code reasons, I am trying to stay under 200 sq ft. For those interested, if I go over 200 sq ft, then I will need foundation footers, cement pour, etc.

So, what would be better: 12x16 or 10x20???

I will have the FEL off most of the time, so that will be a big factor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts