Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I crawled under the tractor to remove the drain plug and saw this bolt missing a nut just to the rear of the oil pan. The opposite side bolt missing all together.

Anything special I should look out for or check after replacing? 98hrs on the machine now. 2019. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would call the dealer, you should still be in warranty and if future problems develop, it will be documented at John Deere.

·
Premium Member
7,947 Posts
I would suspect they are dowled so I would just tighten it up and use blue loctite and/or lock washers. Terrible to find those bolts coming loose, check the top as well because if they were tight there would not be a gap.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
No big deal, just the bolts holding the engine to a crossmember?.... (Sarcasm) That's just unacceptable on a premium brand of tractor.

Good eye noticing that! Like I've said many times, someone please send a bottle of 242 loctite to the JD factory....

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Don't think those hold the engine down, it looks like they're meant to hold that plastic cover on. Still annoying that they'd come loose like that.
I'd have to get under my 1025 to see what they are attached to, a plastic cover would not be as bad, those bolts look like they're at least 5/16 or 3/8 size and into what looked like a crossmember. I never studied it that close.... It's still ridiculous to have bolts falling off your tractor.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
They look like the engine to bell housing bolts to me. It’s hard to tell from a close up photo.
I thought the same thing, but since there is a pto shaft on the back of the flywheel that runs back to the hydro unit, it would have to be some kind of crossmember. Or like the other guy said, just a plastic cover.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It appears to be a plastic shroud. Here’s a view from the back.

It’s not a crossmember. Black shroud on bottom of the photo.

I’ll call the dealer tomorrow. Now I’m wondering what else is missing...

·
Premium Member
12,135 Posts
It looks like its the cover shown as number 17 and the bolts are shown as number 7, and it lists two lower bolts, with nuts and lock washers. The orientation looks correct as the bolts are in the same direction as shown and the nuts are near the oil pan, as shown in the illustration.

Screenshot_2021-04-15 John Deere Parts Catalog.png

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had the same situation...... I found the missing bolt laying on top of my mower deck. Took me two times laying under the tractor to find where it came from. My 2015 1023 was out of warranty so I just replaced them...... with loctite.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
12,135 Posts
I crawled under the tractor to remove the drain plug and saw this bolt missing a nut just to the rear of the oil pan. The opposite side bolt missing all together.

Anything special I should look out for or check after replacing? 98hrs on the machine now. 2019. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 783014
View attachment 783015
Is that the missing 2nd bolt laying on top of the hydraulic cooling hoses at the very bottom of the picture? The bolt's angle doesn't seem to match the clamp on the block holding the cooling lines. Could just be the angles, etc. Also, I don't recall that clamp having a bolt that long on the high side......and its right under where it would have fallen out from.......check the top of those hoses, etc. for the nut and other hardware as well..........

·
Premium Member
12,135 Posts
They look like the engine to bell housing bolts to me. It’s hard to tell from a close up photo.
I think it's just a plastic shroud over the flywheel......and I say "just"..(this is where the old eye rolling smiley would be placed) .....there shouldn't be ANY bolts falling out anywhere, let alone both cover bolts being loose.

There probably isn't much torque due to the plastic shroud being sandwiched in the assembly, but still no reason for the tractor to lose it's nuts......(from the bolts)....... ;)

Looks like someone in that "component assembly section" needs a bit of supervision or improved quality checking. ..

·
Premium Member
4,728 Posts
Bring it to your dealer and tell them righty tighty. Warranty for sure. Someone put that part together on a Friday

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is that the missing 2nd bolt laying on top of the hydraulic cooling hoses at the very bottom of the picture? The bolt's angle doesn't seem to match the clamp on the block holding the cooling lines. Could just be the angles, etc. Also, I don't recall that clamp having a bolt that long on the high side......and its right under where it would have fallen out from.......check the top of those hoses, etc. for the nut and other hardware as well..........
Nope, nothing there. This thing is long gone in my yard somewhere I’m sure.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Premium Member
8,782 Posts
I think I would buy lock nuts

Reactions: AJgrn78

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I think I would buy lock nuts
Yep...should have had locknuts from the beginning. Now I have something else to check on my 1025...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just have the dealer come out and fix it at your place. Shouldn't take long. When the tech gets there hand him some Loctite.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went In and told them about it. Gave me new bolts and nuts. Traded him for nylocks. They said they’d happily look at it. I don’t see the need at this point. The shield wasn’t loose as it was still held on by the top bolts. I’ll just check the torque marks on all others now as well.

Reactions: Zebrafive
1 - 20 of 25 Posts