Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm brand new to this forum so thank you for your patience. My husband and I just moved to a 40-acre former farm. It was neglected and we're trying to restore the land. Much of the land is in conservation and is wetlands, but we have about 12 field acres and 8 lawn and woods mixed acres with a pond. There are definitely some rolling hills and rocky areas, and we'd be mainly looking to mow grass and field, plow our drive of snow (1/10 of a mile), clear brush, make paths in woods. Anything else is bonus (post hole digging, etc).

We were looking at the 1025R model but wonder if our needs might be better met with a 2-series? Any tips and advice much appreciated!

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Keep in mind when reading responses that there are many folks who mow their 3/4 acre lawns with a 2032/2038, and consider them to be the minimum required for 1 acre.
There might be some jest in that statement, but still quite a bit of truth too.

1025 will do what you want, but each step up makes the work a bit faster.
In my case, I work quite a bit in the woods, so I needed something fairly small. 2025 was as large as I could go without widening all paths.
Many say the 2025 and 1025 arent big enough, and while Im sure they have their reasons for saying it, if you have the time, they certainly are big enough to do any amount of work.
How much time is saved going bigger? Nobody knows for sure.
I can say that while every once in a while, I could, maybe 5-10% of the time, use more lifting power, Im so used to it that I now just cut logs/trees to a smaller section so its not an issue.
Most times they are still much longer than I can maneuver through the woods anyway, so even if I could lift longer logs, it wouldnt benefit me much.
I have yet to see a Deere tractor of any size not be able to lift a full bucket of whatever landscape material you wish to pick up, so there again, not much of an issue for me.
I dont run fast, so faster ground speed doesnt help.
You will gain more PTO hp with the larger 2 series, like the 2032, 2038, which might be useful if you plan to run a large brush cutter.

Something else to consider is that while you have a lot of work planned now, will the tractor you buy be too large or too much after you get that work accomplished?
I sort of ran into that too in my decision on my 2025. Along with the work to widen trails, the larger tractor really would have been a lot more than I needed after I got all the trees down, and land cleared.

Most folks say that the small increase in price is worth it to jump up to the 2025 from the 1025. Its usually a few thousand more. Going from the 2025 to the 2032 is a much larger increase if I recall, and from a recent thread, from the 2025 TLB to the 2038 TLB nearly $10,000

Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
297 Posts
The 1025R is a great tractor. Especially for a first time tractor owner. I think nearly everybody would agree with that.

As far as needs, well that is just too subjective with so many factors involved. There's folks with farms/land your size, that a 1025R is all the tractor they need, & other folks with much smaller tracts, & much bigger tractors.

I live on 30 acres, mostly wooded. I bought a 1025R 5 years ago. I was super impressed with it. It certainly handled my small garden, & many of the tasks needed on my land. However, it didn't take long for me to realize the limitations too. Some of my tasks just required a bigger tractor. Fortunately, I had a monster machine as well. A 310C. Both were backhoes.

After a couple more years, & my largest of tasks completed, it didn't seem practical to have two. Maintaining, storage, etc. Also, I kept running into the problem of, my 1025 was too small, & the 310 was overkill. I sold them both, & bought a 3039R. I've yet to really get after it but, am confident its a great combination of both worlds, for the tasks that remain, & will be constant.

The learning curve is much easier on a 1025 than most other size tractors. I know this, my wife loved it. She was always volunteering to drive it around..lol. She's not interested in the bigger machines.

I'd be shocked if you aren't happy with a 1025R. It's a great tractor, & great machine to get comfortable using a tractor on. You'll find uses for it, you didn't think of & it'll definitely make life easier. Down the road, you'll be better able to tell if it's a permanent solution, or just the starting point.

Best of luck, & congrats on the new property.

·
Registered
25,666 Posts
When it comes down to it - and any knowlegable tractor salesman will agree - that you size the tractor to the biggest implement you think you will need.

So trying to choose a tractor without first choosing your needed implements is putting the cart before the horse so to speak.

There are many MANY members in this forum here who after a year found they bought a tractor too small for their needs. Trading in early like that usually ends up with quite a loss of money. Also during that time with the smaller tractor there is a bit of frustration with not being able to accomplish what you want.

Define your needs first - then choose implements - and finally choose the tractor.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
People sometimes think the size of the property dictates the size of the tractor, it’s not always true. It could be a guy with a 1000 acres needs nothing more than a push mower and a guy with just a few acres needs a 50 horsepower tractor. Like already pointed out it’s what you need it for.

In your case, I think the size of your property will dictate the size. I would consider the 2032 the minimum size, and a 3 series might not be too big. For me being a new owner 12 years ago the size intimidated me. I started small with a Kubota BX, then a couple years ago a bought a 2025r. The 2025r seemed huge when I got it but you adjust. As new owners get enough machine and just start out slow and easy on the machine. Eventually you will grow into the machine.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Mowing a 12 acre field with a 1025 would be torturous. You don’t have your location listed but most areas of the country that would need mowed at least three times a year to keep weeds down. You may want to find someone who will hay that for you. I’d say even a 2 series would be small for maintaining 40 acres, thats 10x what I have for my 2025.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, everyone for your welcoming and helpful responses--it really does make a difference to read about your actual experiences based on years of practice and ownership. While we do have more initial work, we expect to have pretty constant needs in terms of maintaining our fields, clearing wooded areas(a lifetime's worth of doing!), hauling wood, not to mention all the myriad things we have yet to discover and feel confident tackling(fences, moving big rocks, etc.) It's definitely one of those situations where there's so much to do, we kind of don't know where to begin.

We're in Chatham, NY, by the way, and I look forward to learning from all of you on this forum!

-jessica

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If you're going to be mowing a field I would go with something with bigger tires than the 1025r, bigger tires (and a heavier tractor) will give you a smoother ride on rough ground.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello, and WELCOME!

There are tons of helpful tractor experts on this forum (I'm not one of them... just a new owner offering an opinion). I'm sure that if you post follow-up comments and questions they will help you narrow down your search.

I think Stan (aka coaltrain) is right: decide on all that you hope your tractor will accomplish, then decide on the tractor. If you haven't discovered yet, YouTube has tons of informative videos on the 1025R, 2025, 2038R, and many other JD tractors. Most of those videos show how to use an implement to solve a problem. You would be surprised at how much work you can get done with the 1025R.

As for stepping up to the 2-Series from the 1025R... take a look at this video from Tractor Time with Tim, where he carefully goes through the differences.

I was in the same place as you and nearly chose the 2038R. Tim makes clear the advantages of the 2038R, but for me, after watching his video, I went with the 1025R. Why? The 1025R will work all the implements I believe I will need and it's smaller, allowing me to get into (and out of) tight spaces. Oh, and the 1025R is cheaper, allowing me to invest more of my budget in implements, storage, and accessories.

Just my 2-cents.

Steve

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I would be looking at the 2032R of the three that you mentioned. If you're not wanting to go up to the 3R series I would consider the 2038R, you would have more horsepower available for running a larger mower more easily.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hello, and WELCOME!

There are tons of helpful tractor experts on this forum (I'm not one of them... just a new owner offering an opinion). I'm sure that if you post follow-up comments and questions they will help you narrow down your search.

I think Stan (aka coaltrain) is right: decide on all that you hope your tractor will accomplish, then decide on the tractor. If you haven't discovered yet, YouTube has tons of informative videos on the 1025R, 2025, 2038R, and many other JD tractors. Most of those videos show how to use an implement to solve a problem. You would be surprised at how much work you can get done with the 1025R.

As for stepping up to the 2-Series from the 1025R... take a look at this video from Tractor Time with Tim, where he carefully goes through the differences.

I was in the same place as you and nearly chose the 2038R. Tim makes clear the advantages of the 2038R, but for me, after watching his video, I went with the 1025R. Why? The 1025R will work all the implements I believe I will need and it's smaller, allowing me to get into (and out of) tight spaces. Oh, and the 1025R is cheaper, allowing me to invest more of my budget in implements, storage, and accessories.

Just my 2-cents.

Steve
I have to disagree with his comments about the 2025R, I was all set on the 1025R until I priced the 2025 and realized it wasn't much more and was still in my budget. I have some areas of my property that I wouldn't easily be able to access with the 1025 because of the lower ground clearance, the 2025R just barely makes it without scraping the underbelly.

Edit: Tim is the reason I bought a 2025R, I watched a ton of his videos when I was shopping and considering brands and liked what he had to say about the 1025R and knew that the 2025R would be close enough in size and capabilities that the information would still be applicable.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Welcome from NW SD.

rob

Reactions: ChathamBarns

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Another factor is money, what is your budget? It’s easy to get $40,000 wrapped up in say a 3 series tractor and several implements. Someone buying used might get by on half that.

Keep in mind you are the one’s managing the land, don’t let it manage you. It can seem overwhelming all the things you want to get done. It doesn’t have to be done all at once. You probably want to focus on things around the house first and work your way out. Sounds like exciting times for you.

·
Registered
356 Posts
At the time I bought my 1025r the 2025r at that time was a big step down in ergonomics, convenience features etc... maybe it didn’t even have a drive over deck I don’t recall exactly.

I did like how the engine on the 2025r idled at lower rpms

I did a bunch of testing at the dealer at the time and tested the “uncut circle” of the 1025r vs 2025r - the un cut circle of the 2025r was a fair amount larger - I was coming from a garden tractor and had a lot of trees to mow around so the 1025 with its maneuverability and better ergonomics/convenience/much better seat was a winner for me - at the time the 2025 had a seat that was almost inclined forward if you will

after years with my 1025 I don’t think the lift capacity of a 2025 r would be a game changer - but I’ve had several times I would have liked a few extra inches of ground clearance- have buried mine to the axles in clay a few times

if you have any tighter turns to make or close quarters operations the 1025 will be better

if it’s a bunch of wide open spaces and you think you’d do much work in the woods maybe do 2038 r or 3 series - not sure how much mowing you’re talking about - the smaller units will perform better in mowing operations as far as maneuverability

have heard 3 series owners comment that they hate mowing with them- I demoed a 3 series at my property before I bought my 1025r and I still have the deep ruts in the clay - maybe I need to finally take care of that !

·
Registered
2016 1025r
739 Posts
The 1025R is a great tractor. Especially for a first time tractor owner. I think nearly everybody would agree with that.

As far as needs, well that is just too subjective with so many factors involved. There's folks with farms/land your size, that a 1025R is all the tractor they need, & other folks with much smaller tracts, & much bigger tractors.

I live on 30 acres, mostly wooded. I bought a 1025R 5 years ago. I was super impressed with it. It certainly handled my small garden, & many of the tasks needed on my land. However, it didn't take long for me to realize the limitations too. Some of my tasks just required a bigger tractor. Fortunately, I had a monster machine as well. A 310C. Both were backhoes.

After a couple more years, & my largest of tasks completed, it didn't seem practical to have two. Maintaining, storage, etc. Also, I kept running into the problem of, my 1025 was too small, & the 310 was overkill. I sold them both, & bought a 3039R. I've yet to really get after it but, am confident its a great combination of both worlds, for the tasks that remain, & will be constant.

The learning curve is much easier on a 1025 than most other size tractors. I know this, my wife loved it. She was always volunteering to drive it around..lol. She's not interested in the bigger machines.

I'd be shocked if you aren't happy with a 1025R. It's a great tractor, & great machine to get comfortable using a tractor on. You'll find uses for it, you didn't think of & it'll definitely make life easier. Down the road, you'll be better able to tell if it's a permanent solution, or just the starting point.

Best of luck, & congrats on the new property.
Hi I agree I have four tractors and the 1025 is my favorite it also is the only loader tractor but my 620 is a better bailing tractor and then the c is better at cutting and the a pulls wagons better I also have 25 areas and rent 50 from a neighbor

·
Premium Member
Tator
15,983 Posts
it really does make a difference to read about your actual experiences based on years of practice and ownership.
First of all
Welcome GTT.gif

I first bought a 1023E with just a few simple jobs in mind on our 30 acres, quickly evolved into more and more jobs for the little tractor (we also have large tractors). I traded for a 2025R and that tractor was very well suited for everything that I used it for. The FEL lift height/capacity was something that I just couldn't get past, I then traded for a 2038R and could not be happier now. It is much much more tractor than the 10/2025R, it's hard to put into words to clearly explain the true difference. I have a 220R MSL on that, the capability is more in line with the 3R loaders, not quite as much, but much closer than the non self leveling loader was. From what you've described I would buy a 2038R or even a 3R depending on what your budget allows. I have many videos displaying both the 2025R and my 2038R, hope some of them help..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8eZr_u37kbaWKJjRndmReQ

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Having owned all 3 or in my case the large frame 2R was actually a 2038R .
My favorite of the 3 machines is the 2025R .
My 2025R resolved everything I didn’t like about my 1R , then I felt the 2038R was physically too large for its capability limitations, it wouldn’t fit in certain areas like the 1R and 2025R can. and it lacked the capability I had with my 3R, which was just almost the same size machine only more capable.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I have a 1025 on 10 acres. Its big enough to do all that needs to be done but here are things most dont consider.
travel speed is slow. Sometimes getting from 1 end to the other is just plain boring
It will feel far more bumpy than a larger tire machine.
Its far more stable on side hill than a large 2 so that may be a consideration.
a no frills 3025 is a capable machine thats cheaper than a large 2 but nowhere near as powerful. Its only larger physically.
I actually use mine in the woods in places a larger machine cant get to.
Larger hp machine emmisions seem to be nothing to worry about and not worth avoiding if you need the hp to get some work done.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts