Green Tractor Talk banner

1025R or 3036e

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Grakat 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I have a 2.5 acre block that is around 2hrs North of Sydney. It is a slightly sloping block with a small dam. Currently there is a shipping container on the block, but I am plannng to build an 8m x 14m shed/workshop/man cave. With this work I can foresee a lot of little jobs that will need to be done. I am trying to decide between the 1025R and the 3036E tractors. I looked at a 2032R but it was dearer than the 3036E down under.

My main concern is that the 1025R will struggle in the hard ground. I put in my front fence by hand, and wished I had a post hole digger. I will need to dig a 60m trench to get power to the shed from the front boundary.

The 1025R appears to be more of a Swiss Army knife whereas the 3036E appears to be more powerful but a bit less adaptable.

I have reasonable experience with tractors. I restored a Farmall B that I pulled out of a swamp, and an MD which did some tractor pulls with. Both of those machines were sold ages ago before I moved to Australia from NZ.

Please let me know your thoughts. I am watching so many green tractor YouTube videos the wife is about to have me committed lol.

Regards
Graham

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd get the bigger one. Either way it sounds like you need both a loader and backhoe.

#3 ·
I vaguely recall reading that you cannot mount, and they do not offer, a JD backhoe for a 3E-series tractor. I've looked, but I can't find that documentation and I could be mistaken. It might be different with the International market tractors though. :unknown:

Reactions: PJR832
#4 ·
Hi Oxpath.

You are correct, the 3E machines cannot take a JD backhoe here in Australia either. There are some third party 3PL backhoes but I don't know wether there are any limitations on the frame which may preclude their use.

Regards
Graham.

#5 ·
Woods sells a very nice BH for the 3E series. Not sure if they are available in Australia or not though.

I went from a 2210 SCUT (2 generations older than the 1025r but the same size) to a 3025e and I recommend it if you have a lot of tasks involving moving dirt etc. Remember you can't mount a mid mounted mower on the 3E series but you can always buy a finish mower or rotary cutter if you need it.

The 3E can't get into super small places like the 1 series so take that into consideration, but having the extra weight of the tractor allows you to dig into the dirt a lot easier (at least for me) than a SCUT. Good luck with your purchase. :bigbeer:

#6 ·
Bigger is always better. Except I think in your situation. If you do not want to go to the 2 series, I think the 3 will be larger than you will want. The one series is very capable of doing what you want. While smaller, and has less lifting power I would be afraid the 3 series would be larger than you dare need in size.

#7 · (Edited)
I agree with some sentiments here. I bought a 1023 last year and am now shopping around for a 3E series after buying 11 acres up in the mountains of North Carolina.

When I purchased the 1023 I was in the midst of a large scale renovation and addition to our house. The 1023 we'll handled a bunch of chores associated with the project; moving building material and dirt around, demoing a lean-to, and digging up some concrete, etc. The one instance were a little bit 'more' tractor could have been used was the digging up off the concrete. I agree that if you aren't going to be doing much digging or ground work go with the 1 series. If you do have plans for a bunch of ground/digging work go with the 3E series.

Curious too if there is a 3036 available on your side of the world? Here I'm the states we have a 3025, 3032, 3038. There all the same displacement with the 3025 being tuned to meet the US emissions standards and the 3038 being turbocharged and the 3032 something in the middle.

#9 ·
Once you get the tasks you mentioned are there follow on jobs requiring the back hoe and larger bucket? My thought is rent bigger equipment to do the tasks at hand if in the future that is not required. The one series is a good "maintain everything tractor" where as the 3 series is better at bigger jobs. Just MHO and that was free so consider what you paid for it.

#11 ·
Reactions: Busman
#12 ·
That has been one on the things I have been taking into consideration. I landscaped a whole residential lot with a Kobelco SS60. Google it, you'll laugh. Hence I have never had a problem going small and working smart. The power of the 3036e is appealing but the poverty pack features are swaying me towards the R spec machine.

Regards
Graham

#13 ·
Further developments.

Hello Everyone,

After deliberation and comparing the two machines I have decided that the best path for me will be a 1025R TLB setup. Now getting quotations. The price range in NSW is ridiculous in the least. A 2hr drive so far looks to be saving $5k.

Than you all for your input, I will post proof of ownership photos once I have concluded the deal. I think the 1025 is plenty for this application. Will be looking to get the new 260 backhoe when it comes out, this may take a while for it to come down under.

Based upon recommendations and PMs from a member on this forum will definitely be getting the Burder loader with 4 in 1 bucket. Thanks John for the great help. It is a superior loader to the JD offering in Australia.

Regards,
Graham.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.