Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Granted.... I am a graphic designer by trade.... and a Type A perfectionist about all things 'visual.'

But c'mon..... the MONSTER sized gaps between hood and side panels..... side panels and lower grille panel.... and fender panels where the 'green' fender should meet the 'black' plastic wheel well trim near the foot area are absolutely horrible. You could almost lay a Ball Park Frank hotdog between the hood and the side panel....the gap is so big. It is mainly the hood that is out of alignment... the fender panel seems to match up decent enough to the black grille near the headlights.

I guarantee you that if I bought a $21k compact new off the lot.... the gaps and fit and finish would be almost laser perfect these days.

How do these panel gaps compare to yours.... and is there a way I can at least adjust the hood so the forward end of the gaps are a little bit closer to the gap nearest the dash?

EDIT: I walked over to my neighbors to look at his 1026% (same body/panel as the 1025R) and his are WAY more even. although, he doesn't have the 2 struts under the hood... he has a mechanical lever.... but the hood and panels are the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Mine has chrome trim in all those spaces.

:mocking:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Joe, I don't believe mine has that big of a gap as in your picture.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
My hood fits beautiful, my right rear fender to floorboard and trim is ok but my fuel tank side fender has a pretty lousy gap. I am doing a late 50 hour service in the next couple weeks, I plan on investigating an adjustment while I have the rear wheel off and I can see what is going on in there. I agree, they are only tractors but I guaranty the molders of these parts probably have stupidly fussy tolerances to supply a company like Deere. Then some jackass on the shop floor guns the tractor together without even looking at what he-she is doing. They are charging way, way too much money for a product that is not assembled perfectly.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I would have the dealer fix it under warranty. Let them know you aren't happy with it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 1026R is over 4 years old. The fit and finish has always been acceptable. The pictures of yours are horrible, no way would I accept that. I would be having words with my dealer.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My hood fits beautiful, my right rear fender to floorboard and trim is ok but my fuel tank side fender has a pretty lousy gap. I am doing a late 50 hour service in the next couple weeks, I plan on investigating an adjustment while I have the rear wheel off and I can see what is going on in there. I agree, they are only tractors but I guaranty the molders of these parts probably have stupidly fussy tolerances to supply a company like Deere. Then some jackass on the shop floor guns the tractor together without even looking at what he-she is doing. They are charging way, way too much money for a product that is not assembled perfectly.

Jeff - please let us know if you were able to tweak it to fit tighter. Photos would be great along with a description if possible. I did notice that every JD 1025R and 1023E I saw on the lot had just as nasty 'fender' gaps as I showed in my attachment.....but I don't think the hood gaps were as bad.

There has to be a way to tweak the hood adjustment....I looked under the hood and there are several 'attachment' points.... on the fire wall, the struts....the latch on the underside of the hood... and possibly even the 'catch' mechanism that the hood clicks into.

I am calling JD customer service in the morning. If I can, I'd rather do it myself.... always worried I will get it back with a scratch down the hood or side panel. Yeah... I am *that guy.* LOL But ya know, if people don't demand a higher level of quality, then it will never happen on it's own, right?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I am going to do just that! Thanks - I was a little worried this post might get me laughed off the board.... but dang, it's not like this was a $800 Troy Bilt from Menards. :bigthumb:
Everybody on the board is helpful and there is no such thing as a dumb question:cheers: I do remember another member had an issue with fitment and had it taken care of by the dealer under warranty. Let us know what the outcome is.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everybody on the board is helpful and there is no such thing as a dumb question:cheers: I do remember another member had an issue with fitment and had it taken care of by the dealer under warranty. Let us know what the outcome is.
I will for sure! Thanks for the support!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
For me the hood is to much of a gap. The other gaps you have are about like all the other 1 series I've seen. One thing to think about on the gaps with the fenders and floor board is, it's a good thing. When I use my tractor I get all kinds of things in them gaps. All it takes is and air hose to blow that stuff out and away. If the gap was smaller it would have a chance to get stuck and you would have to use a pick or knife to get the stuff out. Even with a small gap or tight fit you will still get stuff in them places. Do you want to get the stuff out easy or have to work at it? Remember if you get stuff in them places you can't get out it will stay in place and wear on all contact places. So I'm good with the gaps on the fenders and floor boards. I don't have to take them apart to get the stiff out. Hood should be an easy fix.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For me the hood is to much of a gap. The other gaps you have are about like all the other 1 series I've seen. One thing to think about on the gaps with the fenders and floor board is, it's a good thing. When I use my tractor I get all kinds of things in them gaps. All it takes is and air hose to blow that stuff out and away. If the gap was smaller it would have a chance to get stuck and you would have to use a pick or knife to get the stuff out. Even with a small gap or tight fit you will still get stuff in them places. Do you want to get the stuff out easy or have to work at it? Remember if you get stuff in them places you can't get out it will stay in place and wear on all contact places. So I'm good with the gaps on the fenders and floor boards. I don't have to take them apart to get the stiff out. Hood should be an easy fix.
I agree. It is the hood that bugs me. I will let you know what the dealer does to address it. Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Granted.... I am a graphic designer by trade.... and a Type A perfectionist about all things 'visual.'

But c'mon..... the MONSTER sized gaps between hood and side panels..... side panels and lower grille panel.... and fender panels where the 'green' fender should meet the 'black' plastic wheel well trim near the foot area are absolutely horrible. You could almost lay a Ball Park Frank hotdog between the hood and the side panel....the gap is so big. It is mainly the hood that is out of alignment... the fender panel seems to match up decent enough to the black grille near the headlights.

I guarantee you that if I bought a $21k compact new off the lot.... the gaps and fit and finish would be almost laser perfect these days.

How do these panel gaps compare to yours.... and is there a way I can at least adjust the hood so the forward end of the gaps are a little bit closer to the gap nearest the dash?

EDIT: I walked over to my neighbors to look at his 1026% (same body/panel as the 1025R) and his are WAY more even. although, he doesn't have the 2 struts under the hood... he has a mechanical lever.... but the hood and panels are the same.
I work in the graphic arts industry and am much the same way you are... I wouldn't accept those gaps either. JD has chosen to offer one of if not the most expensive SCUT on the market. I know it comes with better implements (autoconnect) but being the most expensive brings with it an expectation of quality.

Get them adjusted and if they can't do that, replaced. My 1025r doesn't look like that.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I agree. It is the hood that bugs me. I will let you know what the dealer does to address it. Thanks!
I don't want to bust your bubble...but, here comes the but, I just came from our JD dealer. I looked at the 1023/25's while I was there. They all have the same gap that you have. So I wouldn't get my hopes up on them making the gap smaller. Sorry...:dunno:
I even opened one of the hoods. It feels solid and closed very good but the gap didn't go away.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
And so we have the problems associated with small TRACTORS designed to look like Bonneville STREAMLINERS or a Minneapolis Moline UDLX*. A meager hood to shed the rain, no side panels so cleaning and maintenance is quicker/easier and (POOF!) you have the look of real operating tractors again. Summertime those side panels do absolutely nothing for efficiency and winter only give a marginal heat retention which can be easily offset with a 160ºF thermostat. "Gimme that ol' time open engine, gimmie that...." Feel free to hum along.:laugh:

But Man, they do look sexy in the suburbs don't they!!!:mocking:

*http://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2005/04/1938-Farm-On----1938-Minneapolis-Moline-UDLX-Comfortractor/1280675.html

·
Registered
572 Posts
Pick up trucks used to be very inexpensive vehicles. They were driven by farmers and construction workers and they were viewed by them as as a tool. Over time, suburbia caught on to the inexpensive, dependable hard working transportation. More units were sold and soon uncle sam caught on and decided it needed regulations so mom & dad can take the kids to school and fetch groceries in it. Better add power leather heated and air conditioned seats, power windows with automatic down, tilt steering, cruise control, a 5 star crash test rating and make it look pretty too.

No offense to you guys, but I'm that other guy... By all means, engineer the heck out of the motor and driveline and inspect that. Then offer a V8 with manual transmission, ugly cup holder that hangs from the hand crank windows, cloth bench seat and a long bed that will run for the net 30 years and costs $20K less. If the gaps aren't wide enough to let the rain in to rust anything in the engine compartment and everything opens and closes smoothly, I'm tickled pink not to have to pay for the fender gap alignment jig and it's QA inspector.

I do appreciate a work of art.

Art.jpg

For me, a pickup or a tractor it's a tool to get the job done as economically and efficeintly as possible. I don't want to pay work of art prices to mow the grass and get the chores done.
Perhaps i'm in the minority there.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Functionality is a given.

A $21,000 investment should have quality standards in regards to fit and finish that is reasonable and the product should have a visible difference in appearance over a 'Little Tykes' peddle car.

I am sure the dealer will adjust the hood to my satisfaction - they said they have done it before - and a few other people have stated they've had theirs corrected. No big deal; I have full confidence that it will be taken care of. Doesn't make the unit cut grass any better... but it will make me a happier customer. This is my 2nd John Deere purchase, and I am sure they appreciate return customers.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't want to bust your bubble...but, here comes the but, I just came from our JD dealer. I looked at the 1023/25's while I was there. They all have the same gap that you have. So I wouldn't get my hopes up on them making the gap smaller. Sorry...

I even opened one of the hoods. It feels solid and closed very good but the gap didn't go away.
Levi - I have seen this too. Doesn't make it right though. John Deere needs to put more effort into 'fit and finish' and refine their product to match their perceived reputation. Read the post just above yours. Not *all* 1025R's have ill-fitting hoods. Something has gone awry in the QC and assembly area.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts