Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After buying my tractor I have been wondering if I got a deal or not...so here is what I got 1025r with loader and 54 inch fronteir rear blower, block heater, rear work light, ballasr box,original cab with glass front and wiper, also a heater that runs off the coolant. Also made it wet on the back and the blower is all hydraulically run. 21000 even

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
My belief is, if you still have a smile on your face, you got a great deal. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
^^^^^^^^ What he said^^^^^^^^^both of them

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I know where your coming from. I spent 6 months after buying my 3520 looking at sites and looking through papers trying to compare tractors against what I bought wondering the same thing you are. Finally I just let it go, I freakin love my tractor and obviously I was ok with the price otherwise I wouldn't have coughed up the money. If I keep looking I will find one cheaper but by the time I got to it, checked it out, and got it home my costs may have still been close to the same. Maybe you could have saved a grand, could have just as easily cost you an extra grand to get it as well. I enjoy my tractor even more so now knowing it's what I wanted and by golly I got it. Wished it had some "extras" that I was finding on others for sale but the prices and/or hours and condition wasn't the same. I purchased mine used with 60ish hours on it but it would have made no difference. If I bought new from dealer I still would have been price checking so I get what your going through. It's a lot of mental anguish, or was for me anyways. Let it go man, be happy with your tractor. It's a dang good looking setup you have!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Congrats on new tractor

Don't drive yourself nuts, the deal is done. Enjoy the tractor! Now you can spend your time on researching implements, tools and fun add ons. Good luck with your new rig.

·
Registered
130 Posts
When you bundle things together they are able to typically get you a better deal. However, if you're looking to compare line by line, then you need to post what each item was line by line.

I just bought a 1025R TLB with 60" AutoConnect and 48" Box Blade and paid just about the same as you, but the tractor has a completely different setup and options.

The only quote I got for a plain 1025R with no bucket, mower, etc, was $11,821.02. Each additional item added cost, but perhaps you could share what the base tractor price you paid was?

·
Registered
58 Posts
My experience. I had 3 local dealers give me a price for my 1025r. 2 were within $100 of each other and the other was $750 higher. One of the 2 lower dealers was the one I had been doing business with. I asked them to take another $500 off and the deal was done. If you got quotes from a couple of dealers and got a little more off the lowest, then you got a good deal. Don't dwell on it, just enjoy the tractor.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Many years ago I managed a custom products operation for a major electronics company. Our primary business was automated test systems for electronic manufacturing. In order to test the customer's electronic device, customized mechanical fixturing and software was required. Some projects also required customized electronics. We did roughly 20 of these one-off projects each month. They had to be quoted, designed, contract negotiated and finalized, and then fabricated and installed. Each project was very unique. Therefore, the price of each one was unique. Because customers saw the price as variable, they also believed it was highly negotiable. The negotiations were fierce.

In the price I quoted, I always included a little pad for customer breeches of the contract. I had done this for a while and I expected them to miss their deadlines on providing us with design parameters. I also knew that typically they would have to revise the design of their device (fix a bug) at some point during our project. If they beat this pad out of me during the negotiations, I would have to go back for more money when they breached our contract. This would drag out the project at a time when they were very pressed for time. But my job was to make sure we made money on these projects. You don't lose a little on each one and make up for it with volume. So the customers that thought they got the rock-bottom deal usually ended up having to come up with more money along the way and saw their project schedule slip in a business where time to market is everything. We actually had customers that we "fired" who would not tolerate us making any money on their project. Customers that generate no profits for your business are a waste of your time.

When you're making a major purchase, it always pays to negotiate a bit to make sure that you don't pay the price the guy pays who is afraid to ask for a lower price. However, if you go overboard and compromise the seller's opportunity to make a decent profit on the sale, you will likely find them very inflexible when you run into a problem down the road. Everybody needs to make a buck. Most businesses want to take care of their customers, but the money has to be there for them to do it.

I was trained and functioned as a ruthless negotiator. I had customers ask my management if they could have someone else to negotiate with. (The answer was always "no".) But what they didn't like was my insistence on deals that were fair to everyone involved. You need to look out for your own interests and make sure the other guy comes out okay as well.

About a year ago I was purchasing an implement from a local Deere dealer. We were working out the price and focused on delivery. If I picked the implement up at their store, I would have to pay the local city sales tax. If it was delivered at my home (outside of any city limits), the tax would be about $100 less. But that was about what the delivery charge would be. So it didn't really make any difference to me. But I told the salesman that I wanted it delivered because I would rather he get the $100 than the taxing authority. He gave me this weird look like he'd never had a customer worry about him getting more money before. And he said "I'll split it with you." So I got the delivery for $50 and he got $50 more in revenue. I was happy, he was happy.

·
Registered
280 Posts
After buying my tractor I have been wondering if I got a deal or not...so here is what I got 1025r with loader and 54 inch fronteir rear blower, block heater, rear work light, ballasr box,original cab with glass front and wiper, also a heater that runs off the coolant. Also made it wet on the back and the blower is all hydraulically run. 21000 even
Like others have said, it is hard to compare. Everyone has slightly different configurations, and different implements. For what you got, that price seems ballpark. I don't think it is a smoking deal, but I don't think it is out of line to the high side, either.

I would be interested in knowing how the tractor handles that blower, though.......

Reactions: Drifterbike

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After buying

Like others have said, it is hard to compare. Everyone has slightly different configurations, and different implements. For what you got, that price seems ballpark. I don't think it is a smoking deal, but I don't think it is out of line to the high side, either.

I would be interested in knowing how the tractor handles that blower, though.......
The blower seems a little heavy sometimes when trying to float the bucket to scrape but other then that I love it...works good

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
A friend of mine was just quoted $20,000.00 (straight sale, no trade) for a new 1025R with 60D auto connect MMM, H120 FEL w/53" quick-attach bucket, front hitch and mid PTO for front attachments (he already has a front mount SB), turf tires, JD ballast box and TLB style ROPS lights with guards and work-lights.
Just this week he called me to ask if he could look around at my 1025R since mine has 300+ hours of use on it. When we were discussing him possibly buying the new 1025R, he asked me the same question, "do you think the $20,000 is a good deal". I simply said, you are buying the tractor from the same dealer I bought mine from and you are dealing with the same person that sold me mine, and by the way, I have known this person for 50+ (I know, I am aging myself) years. He is a great guy, honest, knows JD's as good as anyone and will go the extra mile after you buy it. To me, this is what I look for, not just price.

As others have said, it is hard to compare and I wouldn't spend five minutes thinking about it. $21K for your set up sounds pretty reasonable to me. Enjoy your tractor!!

Personally, I like to buy things like tractors and vehicles from people I know and trust. I am still "old school". I buy based on relationships, not just price. When I have a question, I call or email my dealer and they always get me the answer. When buying a tractor, you are not really buying just a commodity, you are buying the tractor and after the sale support. Just my two cents!! :good2:

Reactions: keane and Viper21

·
Registered
448 Posts
1025 - is a FANTASTIC sub-compact tractor - I have a 3039 and 1025 for easy agile work the 1025 cant be beat in my opinion. But as for you getting a deal- that's really going to be your opinion.

I think you paid a fair price. Its pretty much a done deal already. Don't beat yourself up overthinking "I paid too much" You wanted a good working tractor and you got what I think is one of the perfect tools for any size property. My only question after having mine for about 3 years now is how I got along without it. I paid full dealer price from showroom floor, I could have paid less if I shopped - and I could have paid more. But I got what I wanted, and couldn't be happier.

Enjoy your tractor and this forum.

There will always be a better deal and always a worse deal. Pay fair / sell fair.

Reactions: Viper21 and keane

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought mine last summer, 1025r, H120 Loader, Backhoe, and 60" MMM $22,600, I've never once regreted it, except when the monthly payment is due...lol. I'd say yours is probably a fair price for all the attachments you got.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm glad I got my 1023E five years ago. The costs of late on this site seem to be far north of what I paid. Must be discounts are not as much and/or the prices have gone up. At the time the 1026R was about $900 - $1000 more than 1023E. Justifying looking at x748 to the series 1, the cost was in favor of 1023E. I could not justify additional grand of 1026R.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts