Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1025R. I've been offered a PTO-drive wood chipper which requires 20HP, which is three more then my tractor's specs. Can I get away by missing the three HP if I don't max out the size of branches I'd be feeding into the chipper?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
If it's free take it. If not then try it before you buy it.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I have a 1025R. I've been offered a PTO-drive wood chipper which requires 20HP, which is three more then my tractor's specs. Can I get away by missing the three HP if I don't max out the size of branches I'd be feeding into the chipper?
On the dyno, mine showed 25.5 PTO HP...you will be fine.

Tim

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
You will probably be fine hp wise. If it’s a 3pt model the weight of the chipper could be a bit much.

·
Registered
938 Posts
If it is a power feed model, you can just slow down the feed rate. The weight on the three point would be the deciding factor in my opinion. Just remember to engage the PTO at idle and then go to PTO Speed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it is a power feed model, you can just slow down the feed rate. The weight on the three point would be the deciding factor in my opinion. Just remember to engage the PTO at idle and then go to PTO Speed.
Thanks. I'm trying to figure more out about it. It's been discontinued by Northern Tool, and has no brand marking on it (but we're pretty sure it's this one linked below, based on the receipt from Northern Tool several years ago). It's pretty heavy (700 lbs).Price is right tho, so we might try it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The 3 point lift at 24 inches behind arms is 758lb, you’re close on that.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yeah... well, nothing like maxing out the poor little tractor I guess.
Definitely not endorsing the decision. If your rig weighs 700, any bumps you encounter could easily tip the scales.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thanks. I'm trying to figure more out about it. It's been discontinued by Northern Tool, and has no brand marking on it (but we're pretty sure it's this one linked below, based on the receipt from Northern Tool several years ago). It's pretty heavy (700 lbs).Price is right tho, so we might try it.

I got 350# from the specs on this one with the link above. The WM WC46 we have now weighs 510 #, quite noticeable on the 2025R. Would not recommend a bigger chipper for safety reasons, but the 2025R absolutely loafs along on this 4 x 6 chipper. Chipper hp goes up by square root of tree size; so, hp is not problem. Had a 3 1/2" MacKissic chipper shredder for 16 years. It was fine even on the 18.5 hp 4010. This one looks like the Mac chipper, next bigger than what we had.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely not endorsing the decision. If your rig weighs 700, any bumps you encounter could easily tip the scales.
Yeah, we're gonna have to be really careful if we do. The 1025R weighs 1,444 lbs without the bucket (which we have), so we might be able to get away if we load the bucket with a bunch of heavy stuff to counter balance it, or put suitcase weights on the front.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The 3 point lift at 24 inches behind arms is 758lb, you’re close on that.
Can someone explain how this works? Does 24" mean something that extends out 24" or does that mean the midpoint of the extension with half the weight on either side of 24"?

Also what's the formula for determining the feels like weight of something that extends further in laymen's terms please? I googled it but don't understand what I found. Been a long time since I cracked open a math book.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
You will have all the available engine HP at the PTO when parked. It'll run it. (y)

The 18 spec would likely be while tractor is in motion and sharing HP with the drive wheels.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Can someone explain how this works? Does 24" mean something that extends out 24" or does that mean the midpoint of the extension with half the weight on either side of 24"?

Also what's the formula for determining the feels like weight of something that extends further in laymen's terms please? I googled it but don't understand what I found. Been a long time since I cracked open a math book.
The 758 lbs is 24 inches away from the end of your hitch arms. You could lift about 1100lbs at the end of the arms if all your weight was directly at that point.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The 758 lbs is 24 inches away from the end of your hitch arms. You could lift about 1100lbs at the end of the arms if all your weight was directly at that point.
Ok so how do you determine the lifting ability say of a land plane that extends out four feet?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would think that the balance point for the implement weight (front to back of it), would be what the distance from the link arms would be to calculate lift capacity. If you get what I mean. The closer that most of the weight is to the end of the link arms, the better. The farther that most of implement weight is away from the link arms, the less total implement weight you can lift

1 - 17 of 17 Posts