Green Tractor Talk banner

1025r Quick Hitch Snow Blade

29K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  Kennyd 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a beautiful used 1025r from an older gentleman that used it minimally. I'm looking to put a snow blade on the front for my 1/2 mile long milling driveway. I have a 8' blade on my truck, but I truly hate driving all winter with the blade on my truck.

Has anyone had positive/negative experiences with the 54" quick hitch snow blade on their 1025r? There are a ton of videos that show its success, but I live just south of Buffalo, NY...we average 100+ inches of wet, heavy, lake effect snow each year.

Also, there are a ton of used quick hitch blades for sale through Craigslist/Facebook marketplace...typically they all look the same as the quick hitch blades that I find on Frontiers website, but they all state they are mountable on "x" and "y" tractors...I was under the quick hitch setup was pretty much one size fits all tractors. Any help is appreciated before the snow starts to fly!!!

#2 ·
Sorry to say I don’t own the blade but not all quick hitches are the same. The blade fits many tractors. The hitch is what makes it fit. You need the one for 1025r 1026r or 1023e. Ttwt on YouTube discusses the negatives of the blade. I hope to swing the purchase someday but not yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#3 ·
#4 ·
100 inches per year? I'm agreeing with Kenny, go blower or stay with the truck. I own a 1026 with about 140' paved driveway on a hill. Even here in the Hudson Valley I have completely run out of room to store the plowed/stacked snow and had to resort to my GX335/42" blower in a 20" storm a couple years ago. If you can, maybe a blade and a blower. Both use the same lift and mounting frame...:good2:

Reactions: BigJim55
#5 ·
BM19782 From the following Models X465, X475, X485, X495,X575, X585, X595, X700, X720, X724, X728, X729, X740, X744, X748, X749 and all current X700 signature series tractors will fit On the 1023E & 1025R as well as the Gen I & Gen II 2025R But for the 1023E & 1025R & 2025R you will also a Need a Few Extra Brackets that fit between the Hitch and the Tractor BLV10796 Front-attaching support kit:bigthumb:

Reactions: BigJim55
#6 ·
....... I'm looking to put a snow blade on the front for my 1/2 mile long milling driveway....

Has anyone had positive/negative experiences with the 54" quick hitch snow blade on their 1025r? There are a ton of videos that show its success, but I live just south of Buffalo, NY...we average 100+ inches of wet, heavy, lake effect snow each year.....

Seriously, if you get that much snow, you'll be wanting a blower.

You can't go fast enough with a tractor to get the snow to fly off the blade like you can with the truck. Unless you have lots of room on the sides of your driveway to push the snow way back and lots of time to move it, the blower is the only way to go. If you mount a snow blade on the end of your front end loader, you might be able to stack the snow high enough to not need a blower, but a blade by it's self will just push the snow, not stack it...

I get lake effect snows off of Lake Superior up here and have both the blower and the blade. The blower gets a lot more use than the blade. The blade is nice for lesser snowfalls, but for the big stuff it's the blower. And FYI, get the 54" one. The 47" works fine, but for curved driveways the wider path make for a cleaner job.

Snow Winter Freezing Geological phenomenon Slope

Snow Winter Home House Property

Snow Car Vehicle Winter Transport

Snow Winter Freezing Home Property

Snow blower Vehicle Snowplow Snow removal Construction equipment

#7 ·
I agree with what's being said for the most part. That sounds like a really long driveway for that size equipment. The blade will take forever and the blower will take longer. And a blower without a cab is no fun. The blower is probably more appropriate for your snowfall but I would also own the blade for the minimal extra cost. I use both.

Do you need to use the loader during the winter at all? Switching back and forth can be a pain. Not difficult just annoying unless you have a nice heated shop to do it in. I end up using a loader mounted blade more because of that.

I do think it sounds like the truck is still the best tool for the job though. It's much faster, works better and is warm. The tractor might be nice around the shop for the hard to access stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I live a bit farther north that you (about 60 minutes north of Albany) and couldn't imagine using a blade in the winter on my 1025R. We don't get the lake effect snow you guys do, but we do get our share of snow. I usually will get all my snowmobile gear on sans helmet and get to work, although some days the helmet is necessary with the wind blowing snow back in my face. I snow blow about a 1/3 acre worth of driveway and property, and while a cab would be nice it's hard to justify since they're not easy to get off and don't offer A/C for summer duties.

I guess it really all depends on how your driveway is laid out and what you're comfortable with. For a 1/2 mile driveway, and already owning a plow for the truck I'd have have a hard time justifying the cost of the quick hitch and plow - you don't have the mass or the speed you'll have with a truck, nor do you have the 8' plow width or the heated cab.

#9 ·
Hello and welcome to GTT. I also am located south of Buffalo, down along the PA line. You have gotten a lot of good advice here. I have used a 47" blower on the front of my 1026R for many years. It does a great job. I am buying a 54" blade this year. I have gotten tired of face fulls of snow from the blower. My intent is to swap the blade and blower depending on the snow amounts. I an going to add extensions and a rubber edge to the 54" blade. Eventually I plan to add an X7 diesel to my fleet and will leave the blade on that, blower on the 1026R.

I will play devils advocate and tell you that a blade on the 1025R should be fine. It will just take more time than the truck, and there is no cab. But if you use your truck and plow for the bigger storms and the 1025R with blade for the lesser snows, you should be good.

#10 ·
As a “professional” snow removal guy keep using the truck. Having both and using the 1025 blower and blade I can tell you that with your ammount of snow the truck is the clear winner. Depending on type of plow (straight blade vs V-plow) you could get a lot more moved and stacked higher and further with the truck. I fully understand driving around with a blade on when not needed, it sucks. My western mvp can go on and off in 30 seconds, they even have a commercial where a monkey can do it. That said a V- Plow is a pretty big investment

#11 ·
I also live in upstate NY (Tully) and I have the 54" front mount blade with wings and a rear mount blower. I actually decided on the front plow in lieu of the front snowblower due to the fact I travel often especially in the winter time and have a 1/2 mile long driveway as well. The front blade is so simple my wife actually enjoys plowing the driveway when im out of town, she is not skilled enough as an operator to use the snowblower but the plow is just right shes able to plow herself out and when I get home I do the clean up with the blower.

Also forgot to mention we received 155" of snow last season, so keeping a Happy Wife is the key to having a Happy Life!!!!! ( or at least that is what she's tell me)

below is a video of my setup.

John Deere 1025r 3pt Snowblower - YouTube

#12 ·
100" of snow is why folks go south for the winter:flag_of_truce:...Maybe all the Polar bears can come down from the melting arctic and cool off in Buffalo...:plowsnow:

#13 ·
If you know how to plow snow with the truck, you can certainly plow snow with the tractor. Yes, having the cab is nice, especially if you spend a lot of time on the tractor. I plow more than a half mile of private roads which is 33' wide and nearly 20 residential driveways in our neighborhood. We get more than 100" of snow a year, living in a lake effect snow area.

If you have a stone or other aggregate type driveway, i can understand why you would want the plow instead of a blower. Running the blower with any type of stone driveway and your going to need a rotary broom in the spring to put all the rocks back in your driveway.

Make sure your plow has the rubber squeegee on the bottom of the plow, John Deere actually calls the metal plow edge "a Strap". You mount the rubber plow edge UNDER the strap and if necessary, you can flip the squeegee mid season. The rubber plow edge / squeegee allows you to push snow onto the lawn or other surfaces such as grass without peeling the sod. Plus, the rubber plow edge wears well, takes the banging out of when you drop the blade on the surface and it provides a very nice clean finish when used on a solid surface such as asphalt or concrete.

I have been plowing snow for 25 years, first with my 455 diesel and the last season, with my 1025r. I have plowed single snowfall amounts of up to 29". Yes, it took some time, but it did for everyone dealing with that much snow. Last year we had enough snowfall (3" or more per snowfall) I had to plow 45 times. The blower goes too slow for my taste, plus if you have stone or aggregate, it will machine gun driveway material all over the lawn and everywhere else. That means it will beat the snot out of the blower chute among other things. Also, the blower will have to be run with the shoes down, which means it packs down the snow and ice under the blower which can leave you with a skating rink for a driveway.

Just like anything, if you plan ahead and work the plan, you won't run out of places to put the snow. If the piles get too close, I push them back with the tractor and plow blade, or I can put the FEL on it and move them that way. Last winter, twice I had to move the piles in the cul-de-sac from plowing the streets and the piles in one neighbors driveway who has a very tough driveway to plow. If you plan on where you are going to start piling the snow and always leave yourself room, its not an issue. If you plow every time right to the edge of the driveway, of course you will run out of places to push snow.

Plowing is much faster than running the blower. Your tractor can easily push a 6' blade (or even larger). Be careful using the snow pushers as not having the ability to angle the blade REALLY DOES limit your ability to push snow and pile it as you are always moving ALL OF THE PILES, instead of angling the plow and pushing it off to the side when plowing.

Depending where you plow and your equipment, you can either use the Quick Attach for the front like you mentioned or you can go with a loader mounted plow system. Personally, I don't like having the snow blade out front of the loader arms. But if you do use the loader mounted plow system, make sure you have the ability to lift the plow and to angle it. Plowing without the ability to deflect the snow off to the side means you waste a lot of time pushing piles of snow around.

I have the blade, the blower and the Rotary Broom. The order I prefer to use them is in that order. I use the plow 99% of the time. If we are going to be getting a very wet heavy snow, it means I don't wait until the storm is over to plow. Also, make sure you push the wet heavy snow BACK further than the edge of the driveway as it will freeze and then it's more difficult to move. Plan ahead and you can plow a lot of snow and not run out of places to push it.

My next choice is to use the Blower. Last year, I never used it, despite having well over 100" (I think our total was 146" if I recall). I do NOT clear driveways with the blower, it's too slow. I have 17 driveways to plow plus 1/2 mile of private roads which are 33' wide and the cul de sacs are 90'+ in diameter. It takes me about 3 hours to plow those, with the blower, it would be probably be at least 4.5 hours or more.

Last year, I put the FEL on to move snow piles twice. Here is a picture when I was moving some of the snow piles in a couple of locations, such as tight corners, parking areas. You can see the plow piled it pretty high. The neighbor has a water fountain and several other things which prevent snow from being here and there.

Here is another picture of snow piles with the plow, note the neighbor behind the snow pile on the roof. He was 14' in the air.

Here is a picture of my tractor and plow and rear carry all set up for plowing.

These are the following CRITICAL REQUIREMENTS for plowing successfully with the 1025R.

1. - A plow at least 6' wide. My plow is 7'3" wide (87" wide). It was made from welding two of the 54" plows together after cutting out the center section of one plow and adding those pieces to another plow. This plow works extremely well when the tractor is set up correctly. I would suggest at least a 6' wide plow. The 54" plow on the 1 series is like shoveling snow with a soup spoon. It simply takes far too long and the machine can handle more, much more, if the operator pays attention and uses common sense and knows how to plow snow.

2. - Make sure your plow has hydraulic angling capabilities. It's absolutely necessary. Manual angling means getting on and off the tractor and that means you angle less than you should or more than you need. Regardless of the plow you select, make SURE you can angle it hydraulically.

3. - The plow has the top roller flap which is CRITICAL for handling a lot of snow and for "Rolling" the snow off the plow when angled. I can "throw snow" off the end of the plow which will clear the typical mailbox when plowing along the road. This top roller flap prevents the snow from going over the plow, plus it permits the snow to be thrown over the bank when plowing. Since you have plowed with a pickup, you know the importance of the top roller flap on the plow. Too stiff and it won't roll the snow. Too flimsy and the snow will push right over the blade and act like a giant snow pusher, which you don't want.

4. - Rubber plow edge, which I covered earlier in the post.

5. - At least 500 pounds of rear ballast weight. This makes plowing snow so much easier. I don't even use tire chains or any rear wheel weights. I carry a Honda walk behind snow blower on the platform for some sidewalks and along some garage doors in extreme circumstances. Normally, I back drag from the garage doors. I also carry at least 200 pounds of the total in snow melt in 5 gallon buckets. Some driveways I plow the homeowner wants the drive or walk or both to have snow melt applied.

With these 5 things, you can plow snow very well with the 1025R. Will it be as handy as your truck? No. Will it be as warm as your truck? Not without some type of enclosure and heater. You don't have go with the Mauser cab, but sure am glad I did. There are other enclosures which help keep the wind off of you. Get whatever fits your needs and budget. I would recommend a hydronic heater, not any electric one as the alternator on the tractor will be worked hard with the electric heater.

Bottom line, you can plow a lot of snow with the tractor if it is set up correctly. There are a lot of options. Plowing snow with the tractor is not going to be like plowing snow with your truck. But if you don't want to have the blade on your truck and putting it on and taking it off is not a practical option, then perhaps plowing with your tractor is the anwer.

At a minimum, get the blade extension wings as the 54" blade is so slow compared to the machines actual capabilites. Make sure you have plenty of rear weight for balance and for traction. Plan ahead and you will be fine.

#14 ·
snow thrower front and rear angle back blade on rear

My suggestion is put the 54" snow thrower of the front and the rear add hydraulics and a Land Pride RB 1660 with hydraulic angle and you will have the best set up.

Snow Snow blower Snow removal Snowplow Vehicle

#15 · (Edited)
Too answer your question, Don't get the 54" Deere plow!!!

We've ran the little Deere plow commercialy and it just didn't hold up. The wear bar wore out too fast and the springs just aren't strong enough. I bought a "66 plow at - Compact Tractor Snow Plows - Compact Tractor Attachments and it worked much better. I even found some knock off wings for it on eBay. The 1025r works get with it and it doesn't cost much more than the Deere blade. So far as quick hitchs go. I am using a QH that is for a 2210, the we had on a 2305. I had to redrill some holes and do a little grinding but I think it fits better on the 1025r than it did the 2305. If you go with the plow you won't be sorry. This thing is awesome, at 300 pounds and 1/2 steel it is built to last. And if your having trouble with it sliding the front end side ways when the blade is at a angle just lift the blade a touch and that will 300 pounder will stop the sliding. They make a 54" and 60" to and when I talked to them last they said they could make a 72" but thought that maybe over doing it on the 1025r. Hope this helps. Asphalt Vehicle Agricultural machinery Tractor Grass
Scale model Snow removal Vehicle Snowplow Snow blower
Machine Electric generator
Green Vehicle

#16 ·
We've ran the little Deere plow commercialy and it just didn't hold up. The wear bar wore out too fast and the springs just aren't strong enough. I bought a "66 plow at - Compact Tractor Snow Plows - Compact Tractor Attachments and it worked much better. I even found some knock off wings for it on eBay. The 1025r works get with it and it doesn't cost much more than the Deere blade. So far as quick hitchs go. I am using a QH that is for a 2210, the we had on a 2305. I had to redrill some holes and do a little grinding but I think it fits better on the 1025r than it did the 2305. If you go with the plow you won't be sorry. This thing is awesome, at 300 pounds and 1/2 steel it is built to last. And if your having trouble with it sliding the front end side ways when the blade is at a angle just lift the blade a touch and that will 300 pounder will stop the sliding. They make a 54" and 60" to and when I talked to them last they said they could make a 72" but thought that maybe over doing it on the 1025r. Hope this helps. View attachment 650300 View attachment 650302 View attachment 650304 View attachment 650306

That’s a beast now! Snow movin mochine

#17 ·
I'm hope to be moving to a new home in late october and will be leaving behind a 20'x60' driveway that I use a walk behind Ariens to clear. We will be going to a 600' single car driveway that opens up to 4 car widths.The wife wants me to use m x758 to clear rather than using the walk behind so I can be inside for some of the storm rather than outside. I have a 54" QH blade that I haven't tested yet in snow only dirt and mulch. I've been pricing out 54" snowblowers to mount on the front as I've never been a fan of plows once the snow starts adding up and isn't merely slush or wet pack.

That being said once you buy the snowblower and QH, adding a blade isn't much more expensive then you have options. You can find 54" blades on craigslist easily, like I did.

#18 ·
You have received a lot of good advice. Here's mine. Keep using the truck with plow. You'll be warm, dry and get done faster. You'll have to put up with driving around with the blade. A snowblower without a cab on that length driveway that will receive a lot of snow during the winter will take a lot of time and you will receive a lot of snow in the face!!! If you are dead set on getting a blade........get a blade bigger than that 54 inch blade. You'll be able to move more snow faster...but will struggle some in a heavy wet snow and a deep snow. Good luck in your decision.

Reactions: HydroHarold
#19 ·
My 2 cents, I have a 2/3 mile gravel driveway. I added the 9 inch extension to both sides of the Quick Hitch Blade for a total of 72 inches. 54 is too short, at full angle, the blade is barely wider than the tractor.
With the extensions I can plow my driveway in less than 30 minutes so everyone can get to work in the morning on time.
I’ve never had a problem moving any amount of snow, the Tractor did have to work hard a couple years ago when we got 20 inches of wet snow and the ground wasn’t frozen yet.

#21 ·
If you can please post pictures of the 54 and attachments, we can see what you have and determine what you'll need.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Kennyd
#23 ·
I wanted to see pictures because the description is vague. Don't know if he needs the quick hitch, adaptor bracket or both.

Reactions: Kennyd and BigJim55
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.