Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was running my Woodland Hills WC46 Saturday and the PTO shut down several times without warning. In each instance I was able to restart it normally and I was able to finish my work. In at least one instance there was nothing going through the chipper when it shut down. The display was normal during operation showing 540 RPMs.

This morning I hooked up my brush hog and everything seemed fine until I tried to back up. The PTO disengaged. In several subsequent attempts it continued to shut down when I stepped on the reverse pedal. I also noticed that the display showed a strange number, neither the engine or PTO RPMs.

I guess I'll be calling the dealer unless there's a simple solution I can do myself.

2019 1025R delivered 1 year ago this month, 160 hours.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Super Moderator
6,154 Posts
Are you sure your PTO selector is in rear PTO ONLY ? (Not Mid & Rear)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
That's the speed display of the Mid PTO.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure your PTO selector is in rear PTO ONLY ? (Not Mid & Rear)
That's why I'm here. I fiddled with the PTO selector this morning while hooking up the PTO. I bet I've got it in mid and rear. Never thought of it because I don't have a mid mount mower and never use the mid PTO. Thanks guys. I'll go check it out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Everything normal now. Thanks again . 😬

·
Registered
452 Posts
So as you now know, the PTO speed will be displayed for whichever PTO is selected and if both PTO's are selected then the mid PTO speed will be displayed.

What you may NOT know since you never use the mid PTO, is that if you want to move in reverse while the mid PTO (or both mid and rear PTO) is engaged you have to push and hold the PTO switch fully forward until you depress the reverse pedal, then once the pedal is depressed you can let off the switch. This is a "safety" :rolleyes: feature called RIO or Reverse Implement Option. Each time you want to reverse with the mid PTO engaged you have to press the PTO switch. Supposed to keep people from backing over stuff with a running mid mount mower, but apparently it's perfectly acceptable to back up without RIO if you have a bush hog on the rear :LOL:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Your PTO Brake is probly not too happy.

How long did it take the chipper to stop when pto clicked off????

A few seconds or??...just curious how this all went down.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your PTO Brake is probly not too happy.

How long did it take the chipper to stop when pto clicked off????

A few seconds or??...just curious how this all went down.
I’d say more like a few seconds.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turns out this matter is not yet resolved. It is accurate that in the first instance I had the PTO lever in mid and rear position resulting in the rear PTO disengaging when I applied the reverse pedal. Why I didn't realize that, I don't know.

However yesterday morning I went to continue brush hogging and followed normal procedure and the display showed the mid pto rpms once again. I looked at the pto selector and it was in the rear only position. I ran with it like that and a few minutes later the display showed 540 rpms. Tried reverse, everything back to normal.

This morning I went out again and I said if it does it this time I'm taking pictures, just for my own satisfaction. Sure enough it repeated what happened yesterday. I can live with it like this but something is not right. Am I missing something or do I have a switch or something else that is failing?

Left to right: pto selector, display upon engaging pto, display a few minutes later.

• Wow

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,533 Posts
Sounds like a loose or failing position sensor switch.

·
Registered
452 Posts
So, there is a limit switch somewhere (under the left console I believe) which is used to detect PTO selector position. It's just a mechanical limit switch, nothing fancy. I read that some folks put a zip tie around it or jump it out or whatever, and the result is that it bypasses the RIO but it ALSO causes the dash to only ever read rear PTO RPM. So I agree with the guy above that says you simply have a problem with that switch or it's associated circuitry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts