Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
I paid a few dollars more at AAP than I could buy it at Deere. Also had to pay sales tax so buying non-Deere was more expensive but as I mentioned, it was Saturday afternoon and the tractor was sitting outside.
I was hoping to "nurse" the battery until my dealer had their Spring Parts Sale. Or in hindsight I could have bought a Deere battery during the CUT 20% sale.

Reactions: kylew

·
Premium Member
10,634 Posts
I did read your post and it’s a good post. Because of read it, I took the vent cap off the old battery before returning it as the, “core”. I haven’t found anything to remove the posts that are left after light removal. Wonder if an ignition wrench will fit that torks, stud? It was a real tight squeeze getting it out.
I just removed the studs with a small pair of Vice Grips on the very tips of the threaded posts. There is a wrench made to fit those stud ends, but it must be one of the few wrenches on earth not in my tool box................The studs have a fairly large "swirl" style threading on their base which is screwed into the housing to hold the head lights. As long as the wrench is tight and doesn't slip on the stud, it doesn't tear the end of it up so the right tool, if I were to get it, would still work in the future.

As tight of a fit as that battery is and the necessary CCA and other issues, I just went with the Deere battery as well as none of the others I looked for had more CCA. I had always run the AGM batteries in my dragsters to start the 1,500hp engines and the batteries were physically smaller than these batteries but had plenty of power to start and operate the race cars. The AGM batteries I used are also considerably more than the Deere batteries, like triple the price.

At the time I needed a new battery, no one had an AGM in stock, not Summitt, Jeg's or Lane Automotive (aka Motor State Distributing) which is who I usually buy all of the high performance parts from.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought a Group 51 Exide Edge AGM as a next battery after much searching. Yes, the standard Deere battery was the same price (I found the Exide at a closeout sale) and has more CCA's. But my tractor lives in the deep south and cold is not a problem. It is 6 years old and never seen snow.

Yes, the Exide has vents. All batteries need them, even AGM's, as a way to expel hydrogen gas in case of overcharging. There are actually two vent openings, one on each side. One side has a plastic connector for the tractor's rubber hose, the other side has a plastic plug. You can switch them to match the hose lication.

I have pictures to add later today when I get to my ipad. The iphone will not post pics to GTT's web site.

Based on my time researching batteries, the Deere wet cell is the best when considering cost and cold cranking amps. I found no Group 51R AGM to come close to the Deere stock battery in CCA's.

If you really want a more powerful battery than the standard Deere wet cell, you will need to go to lithium ion batteries at perhaps 3 times the cost.

·
Premium Member
14,350 Posts
I bought a Group 51 Exide Edge AGM as a next battery after much searching. Yes, the standard Deere battery was the same price (I found the Exide at a closeout sale) and has more CCA's. But my tractor lives in the deep south and cold is not a problem. It is 6 years old and never seen snow.

Yes, the Exide has vents. All batteries need them, even AGM's, as a way to expel hydrogen gas in case of overcharging. There are actually two vent openings, one on each side. One side has a plastic connector for the tractor's rubber hose, the other side has a plastic plug. You can switch them to match the hose lication.
The AGM battery used in my Honda generator is totally sealed - no vents. I assumed this was because the battery was in extremely tight quarters (thanks Honda) and any out gassing would corrode the nearby components.

Reactions: ryegrass

·
Registered
187 Posts
AGM batteries are able, under normal operating conditions, to re-absorb battery gas, which is flammable or explosive hydrogen - the same gas that filled the dirigible Hindenburg. But these batteries do have a “emergency” vent.

In the case of AGM, it’s a pressure-relief valve, usually opening between 1 and 2 psi. Charging too quickly produces hydrogen at a rate faster than it can be absorbed into the glass mat. If this occurs long enough, pressure will build inside the battery, and could force the valve to open. When this occurs, the accumulated hydrogen is released from the battery.

So while a specific AGM battery may not have an always-open vent with a vent tubing connector, there is a pressure release valve somewhere. It just doesn’t have a connector for a vent tube, and may not be readily visible.

The key point to me is that an AGM battery expels no corrosive gas during normal operation. It is able to re-absorb it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
After all the posts and good info I recieved from the guys, my battery came in at the dealer today. Shop vaced the battery area after brushing it then cleaned it with spray and rags. Penetrox on the clamps and posts and tightened up. Made sure the vent hose was clean, blew it out with compressor and reinstalled. Reinstalled the posts that hold the headlight in and tightened with nuts. Turned off all lights in garage and adjusted the light aiming against wall that . Cleaned the fused wiring I had added direct to the battery for NOCO led lit maintainer port I installed in that dash knock out. Made a label with battery date and put on battery. Entered task in my tractor log. It took me longer to put the tools away and clean up than to do the task. Anyway no fears of SBD for awhile and ready for the winter. My original battery was 41/2 years old. For $ 100 it was a no brainer. Didn’t want to risk it at this age. Also had an Amazon tool and fuel additives prechristmas festival including some tools to give to relatives and friends. Not a bad day.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
After all the posts and good info I recieved from the guys, my battery came in at the dealer today. Shop vaced the battery area after brushing it then cleaned it with spray and rags. Penetrox on the clamps and posts and tightened up. Made sure the vent hose was clean, blew it out with compressor and reinstalled. Reinstalled the posts that hold the headlight in and tightened with nuts. Turned off all lights in garage and adjusted the light aiming against wall that . Cleaned the fused wiring I had added direct to the battery for NOCO led lit maintainer port I installed in that dash knock out. Made a label with battery date and put on battery. Entered task in my tractor log. It took me longer to put the tools away and clean up than to do the task. Anyway no fears of SBD for awhile and ready for the winter. My original battery was 41/2 years old. For $ 100 it was a no brainer. Didn’t want to risk it at this age. Also had an Amazon tool and fuel additives prechristmas festival including some tools to give to relatives and friends. Not a bad day.
How could you possibly forget the year you installed your battery THIS YEAR to need to label it!!! The year from Hell!!! Don't know I want to buy anything associated with this year really. Kind of like leap year... wishing it would've never happen!! ::

Hope mine makes it several more years!!

Did you happen to find out how much the JD battery weighs? I've seen 27lb in information. But if it is like other measurements JD does that is probably low.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Firemark

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
How could you possibly forget the year you installed your battery THIS YEAR to need to label it!!! The year from Hell!!! Don't know I want to buy anything associated with this year really. Kind of like leap year... wishing it would've never happen!! ::

Hope mine makes it several more years!!

Did you happen to find out how much the JD battery weighs? I've seen 27lb in information. But if it is like other measurements JD does that is probably low.

You have me laughing because this is a year I should remember because of COVID and presidential election. I can only guess at the weight. I originally was going to have my son plop it in but I backed my pickup truck to the garage bay that the tractor was in and pulled it off. I still struggle due to the TBI I had. I didn’t want to drop it And have it break on the concrete floor. Thanks to Sulley‘s post I unscrewed the headlight stubs and that made it a lot easier. I removed the old one with those stubs in and it was real tight. Hope your battery makes many more years, I just didn’t want to chance a battery sudden death in the field. Hope you have a great winter with the 1025 and blower.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You have me laughing because this is a year I should remember because of COVID and presidential election. I can only guess at the weight. I originally was going to have my son plop it in but I backed my pickup truck to the garage bay that the tractor was in and pulled it off. I still struggle due to the TBI I had. I didn’t want to drop it And have it break on the concrete floor. Thanks to Sulley‘s post I unscrewed the headlight stubs and that made it a lot easier. I removed the old one with those stubs in and it was real tight. Hope your battery makes many more years, I just didn’t want to chance a battery sudden death in the field. Hope you have a great winter with the 1025 and blower.
Mine going on 8 years. Have a charger that has a start circuit. Testing it, it comes up with more cca than it is rated for, so gonna chance it.
Did JD move away from strongbox? Only see that listed now for the stuff sold by home depot. Now they say Performance I think. Hope so cuz strongbox had a bad reputation.
The main difference I see between a 22nf and a 51R is the vent... so dumb for these makers not to just add it to a 51R.
Napas battery is 30 lb. Typically that indicates better build. 3 or 4 lb is a fair amount...
Hoping a praying for a better end to the year than what it is now and a substantially better year next year. All we can do is pray for divine intervention!!

Reactions: Firemark

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine going on 8 years. Have a charger that has a start circuit. Testing it, it comes up with more cca than it is rated for, so gonna chance it.
Did JD move away from strongbox? Only see that listed now for the stuff sold by home depot. Now they say Performance I think. Hope so cuz strongbox had a bad reputation.
The main difference I see between a 22nf and a 51R is the vent... so dumb for these makers not to just add it to a 51R.
Napas battery is 30 lb. Typically that indicates better build. 3 or 4 lb is a fair amount...
Hoping a praying for a better end to the year than what it is now and a substantially better year next year. All we can do is pray for divine intervention!!

My Exide Extra AGM 51R battery has 2 vents. One side has a plastic connector for the rubber tube, and the other side has a plug installed. If the tube had been on that side, the plug and vent adapter could be swapped side-to-side.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
My Exide Extra AGM 51R battery has 2 vents. One side has a plastic connector for the rubber tube, and the other side has a plug installed. If the tube had been on that side, the plug and vent adapter could be swapped side-to-side.
You have a part number on that? Odd as they are usually sealed.

Reactions: arlen

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm gonna throw in my experience from an automotive technician standpoint. There are many vehicles that have the batteries installed in the cabin(under the floormat in a compartment), or in the trunk. ALL of these batteries (including AGM batteries that a lot of european cars use(MB, BMW, etc.)), have a vent tube routed outside the cabin area through the floor or body to expel any outgassing to the exterior. I very rarely see a battery mounted under the hood of any vehicle that has a vent hose attached. Unless it is located near the fresh air intake for the HVAC system. It's interesting that deere would have a vent hose installed. I would guess that due to the location and the fan drawing air across the radiator, there's a potential for battery gasses to be blown/drawn into the drivers area, potentially causing a liability issue somehow. Maybe moreso with a cab installed. That's my three cents anyway.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You have a part number on that? Odd as they are usually sealed.

I believe that all AGM batteries have a vent. It isn’t open to the atmosphere under normal operating conditions, but it opens if the battery builds up excess internal pressure, in situations such as overcharging or extremely high temperatures. The vent may not be obvious or have a hose connector on it, but is there as a safety device, even though the battery is called “sealed” or “maintenance free.” Optima calls these “blow out vents.”

I mis-spoke the Exide battery model name.

It is Exide Edge AGM, Group 51R. The Exide model number is FP-AGM51RDS. It is typically used as a replacement battery for some Honda cars. As I posted before, it has less CCA than the OEM Deere battery, but it works for me because I live in the Deep South where 35 degrees was last years lowest temperature and it last snowed in 2010.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I've noticed that the gases coming out of these vents are corrosive. You would not want them discharged into any interior compartment of the tractor.

Keane

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I've noticed that the gases coming out of these vents are corrosive. You would not want them discharged into any interior compartment of the tractor.

Keane
On a 1025R even with a cab, I imagine getting to an interior is extremely remote. My guess it is more a concern for the radiator, oil cooler.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts

Keane
All the more reason to get an AGM battery

Reactions: keane

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
On a 1025R even with a cab, I imagine getting to an interior is extremely remote. My guess it is more a concern for the radiator, oil cooler.

I consider the engine compartment as an interior compartment. Nothing in there that will benefit from corrosion. But I agree that you certainly don't want the operator exposed.

Keane

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I consider the engine compartment as an interior compartment. Nothing in there that will benefit from corrosion. But I agree that you certainly don't want the operator exposed.

Keane
Well, if that is the definition then all batteries, be AGM or SLA must have the vent tube to be able to be used in the compartment in front of radiator oil cooler. Poor design by John Deere. Either that or a money making design....
My prior machine of blue vintage had the battery in the same location, but the engine was reversed in the bay, with the heat blowing away from the operator. And the battery fumes blowing out the grill. No vent required on that set up. Of course I had to swap the terminals and wires to use a different battery cuz the terminals were smaller... only did that once though. 51R fit there too. I guess they all pull little crap to keep you buying OEM parts.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The battery used in the x700 series, I read many comments about the battery not lasting long.
Since getting my x739, when finished using it, I always connect the NOCO, up-to it, and all has been good.
IIRC, the battery is made by Strongbox.

When the time comes for a replacement battery, I may buy a NOCO (or suitable brand/size) plastic battery box, to somewhat enclose the battery.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Well, if that is the definition then all batteries, be AGM or SLA must have the vent tube to be able to be used in the compartment in front of radiator oil cooler. Poor design by John Deere. Either that or a money making design....
My prior machine of blue vintage had the battery in the same location, but the engine was reversed in the bay, with the heat blowing away from the operator. And the battery fumes blowing out the grill. No vent required on that set up. Of course I had to swap the terminals and wires to use a different battery cuz the terminals were smaller... only did that once though. 51R fit there too. I guess they all pull little crap to keep you buying OEM parts.

I wouldn't worry too much about an AGM. Something has to be wrong for them to vent out of their pressure relief vent. Even if it happened once in a while I couldn't see it causing any trouble.
I would be more worried about electrolyte in a wet cell battery sloshing around and some leaking out in a tractor application.
I have seen it leaking out of the vent tube on my 4720 when I've been mowing ditches.
So that's a good reason to have a vent tube on a wet cell battery.
I switched out the battery on both my 4720 and my x748 to Optima AGMs when they failed.
One less thing to worry about I figure.

Reactions: ClydeLogan
21 - 40 of 45 Posts