Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question John Deere has two part numbers for the brush guards for 1025r lights: BLV10319 (the old part number) and BLV10400 (the new part number that replaced BLV10319). The cost between the two is double for the newer part number but, the older style is still available from a couple of online retailers. Does anyone know is there a substantial difference/improvement with the new part? Is the old style adequate?

Thanks Much!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I'm guessing the new part number is for the taller guard double stacked signal lights on the newer tractors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
photos

I'm guessing the new part number is for the taller guard double stacked signal lights on the newer tractors.
I think both are for the double stacked lights, I finally found a decent photo of each: From the photos they appear to have very similar internal dimensions. It looks like the BLV10400 has a pair of additional holes and a small change in the width of the brace when viewed from the side.

Has anyone successfully used the BLV10319 model with their 1025r?

BLV10319
BLV10319.jpg

BLV10400
blv10400.jpg

·
Registered
377 Posts
In looking at the two, close-up, the only difference I see is that the new number appears to provide more protection on the outside edge. Since they are marketed as "brush guards", either one will probably do. I have the old style and somehow still managed to break a light. Partly because I only used two bolts, initially, and the fact that I hit a large branch instead of just brush. I ended up drilling two more holes in each side of the rops to utilize all four available bolt holes in the guards and the light assemblies so there would be no twisting when a branch was encountered.

I'm currently working on a rops mounted LED setup with side-visible lights and "branch guards" so I never have to worry about breaking a light assembly again. My setup will move all lighting in line with the rops instead of inside the rops where they'd interfere with access to the backhoe.

If you don't have the backhoe, just move your lights to the inside of the rops and forget about the brush guards. If you decide to move them to the inside of the rops, you'll have to swap the left side assembly to the right side and vise-versa. It's not hard at all. You'll need a couple of replacement plastic wire-ties and a coat hanger to do that.

Reactions: mrtatohead

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
A quick question John Deere has two part numbers for the brush guards for 1025r lights: BLV10319 (the old part number) and BLV10400 (the new part number that replaced BLV10319). The cost between the two is double for the newer part number but, the older style is still available from a couple of online retailers. Does anyone know is there a substantial difference/improvement with the new part? Is the old style adequate?

Thanks Much!
I moved my taillights inside the ROPS and now there is no need for brushguards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LED tail and turn lights... Eliminate the need for guards entirely?

In looking at the two, close-up, the only difference I see is that the new number appears to provide more protection on the outside edge. Since they are marketed as "brush guards", either one will probably do. I have the old style and somehow still managed to break a light. Partly because I only used two bolts, initially, and the fact that I hit a large branch instead of just brush. I ended up drilling two more holes in each side of the rops to utilize all four available bolt holes in the guards and the light assemblies so there would be no twisting when a branch was encountered.

I'm currently working on a rops mounted LED setup with side-visible lights and "branch guards" so I never have to worry about breaking a light assembly again. My setup will move all lighting in line with the rops instead of inside the rops where they'd interfere with access to the backhoe.

If you don't have the backhoe, just move your lights to the inside of the rops and forget about the brush guards. If you decide to move them to the inside of the rops, you'll have to swap the left side assembly to the right side and vise-versa. It's not hard at all. You'll need a couple of replacement plastic wire-ties and a coat hanger to do that.

Thanks much. I think I'll follow your lead and use the older style and add additional bolts for stability. I thought first about moving the lights inside the ROPS but with the backhoe it seemed a little tight.
I really like your idea of putting the lights in-line with the ROPS, perhaps something like these? Flush Mount LED Bolt Perhaps they could be directly mounted into the ROPS or on a piece of angle iron attached to the rops. Seems like it would be pretty much bomb proof at that point... No more giant plastic lights to break off!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I think both are for the double stacked lights, I finally found a decent photo of each: From the photos they appear to have very similar internal dimensions. It looks like the BLV10400 has a pair of additional holes and a small change in the width of the brace when viewed from the side.

Has anyone successfully used the BLV10319 model with their 1025r?

BLV10319
View attachment 42214

BLV10400
View attachment 42215
Interesting.
I have the ones in the bottom pic, the 10400, on my 1025.

·
Registered
150 Posts
To anyone who already has these guards.. How think is the material they used? Is it 1/8" or even thinner?

Think I may build a set before I join the broken rops light club.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
To anyone who already has these guards.. How think is the material they used? Is it 1/8" or even thinner?

Think I may build a set before I join the broken rops light club.
I'll measure them when I get a chance, but they are pretty stout.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Would love to know how much these are!

My lights are getting pretty scraped up. :(

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
I made my own and went a step further by adding expanded metal to the front . No broken lights so far (knock on wood) . :pray:

·
Premium Member
6,689 Posts
I know this is older thread. But some pics or results of this project would be great. Thinking about making own brackets.
Yeah, that is what I did. Here is how they turned out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Yeah, that is what I did. Here is how they turned out.
Those are awesome . A lot fancier than mine . Apparently I went for the ' don't screw up my lights look' . :banghead:

Reactions: Drifterbike

·
Premium Member
6,689 Posts
Those are awesome . A lot fancier than mine . Apparently I went for the ' don't screw up my lights look' . :banghead:
Thank you.

We sure would like to see your masterpieces. Sometimes just going for functionality is most important. :thumbup1gif: You could even consider them a first addition, but then again I bet they aren't as bad as you are implying.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Thank you.

We sure would like to see your masterpieces. Sometimes just going for functionality is most important. :thumbup1gif: You could even consider them a first addition, but then again I bet they aren't as bad as you are implying.
You can see what mine look like from this pic I took during the backhoe install . They are made from 1/8 aluminum that I repurposed from a driveshaft guard that didn't fit . The expanded metal is residue stainless steel that I had made some BBQ grills from . Not pretty but absolutely functional . :good2:

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know I am in wrong forum. But my brush guard for lights are the same. Blv104319/10400.

I am thinking maybe put flashers and brake lights like suggested on inside. Then buy brush guards and mount on outside and mount my forward and rearward work lights inside the guard.

My lights are 5 1/2 in wide. I measured my stacked lights as 5 inches wide.

Is there enough room to fit inside brush guard once installed because from pictures there appears to be 1/2 inch play inside guards??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts