Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if others have any idea what a safe towing capacity is from the 1025R drawbar? I know this may be highly dependent upon conditions and grade but I'm interested in knowing what others may have hauled/towed and how the machine handled.

The reason behind my question is that I'm looking at rollers. I've previously used a 4 foot wide roller that weighed 900lbs when loaded with an atv. I used this with the 1025R and it is clear that it is more than capable. I've been considering replacing my unit and a reputable local welder builds them in several sizes. I would like something wider to cover the footprint of the tractor while turning. They offer a 6 foot model but the listed weight when loaded is 2,700 lbs. To me that seems like it would have a tendancy to push around the rear end of a 1025R. Especially given that my area does have some grade to it.

Please excuse me if this has been addressed before, I tried a search and came up empty, and didn't find my answer in the manual.

·
Administrator
20,894 Posts
According to the Owner's Manual, you shouldn't tow more than 1.5 times the weight of the tractor.

Specs say the 1026R weighs 1444lbs. 1444 x 1.5 = 2166lbs. That should be pretty close to what you can safely handle. Mind you, that doesn't take into account hills. You need to be able to safely stop your towed load.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dieselshadow-

Thank you

I had looked through the manual but had missed that. I knew there had to be something printed in that regard. I'm hoping I can find something around 5 foot. That seems to me like it would be the sweet spot and well sized for the machine.

·
Premium Member
12,765 Posts
a 5-foot roller should work fine. I tow my 920 lb roller around with my JD X500. I used to even drag it around with my old 175 Hydro. You can tell it's back there on the X500 but it doesn't complain. But with the X500 if I go down a decent grade and then try to turn sharp the roller will push the back of the tractor sideways a few inches. It gives the feeling of four wheel steering. :)

Now, when things are a bit slippy or for steep hills I hook it to the 2720. The 2720 doesn't even know that 920 lb roller is back there. I have a drawbar that latches into the quick hitch. Forwards, backwards, it doesn't care. Heck, I think it would drag it sideways even.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
As stated and I will state again, stopping is a BIGGER concern. These tractors will pull a lot more than they can stop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts