Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, literally the only thing rusted on my tractor is my SCV. I noticed today as I’m installing the power beyond kit. Anyone else have this issue? Makes me worry and wonder if I should complain since I still have some warranty left on the power train (I know this isn’t apart of it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
Wow. That's typical of what you'd see happen from salt or salt spray. If that's the only area of the tractor like that, that makes me wonder if the SCV had that going on before it was installed at the factory.

What year is your tractor?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. That's typical of what you'd see happen from salt or salt spray. If that's the only area of the tractor like that, that makes me wonder if the SCV had that going on before it was installed at the factory.

What year is your tractor?
Yeah, it’s the only spot that’s bad. It’s a 2017 that I just bought. He had it in for service this past winter because of a leak there. To me it appears they swapped a used part during warranty work.

·
Premium Member
15,967 Posts
Wow... that is some nasty rust for a component that is not subjected directly to the outside weather. Was the tractor stored outside at all?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Get your self a small bottle of Krud Kutter. It dissolves it all instantly and it will look like new.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
As long as the shafts going into the valve body are clear it should ok but it definitely doesnt seem that it should be in that condition 😱

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
It would make me worry. I wonder if the person who used the tractor before wore gloves which had been used to spread snow melt or something equally corrosive, as I can't imagine how that concentrated amount of rust ended up on top of the SCV.......Is the shaft of the lever above the photo, also corroded or rusty as if held by a salty glove?

I know I would take the top off and the hardware at the heim joints and clean and lube everything. Otherwise, if you ever need to take that apart, it might be much more difficult without breaking bolts, etc.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My MY2017 looked almost as bad as this. However before I bought it with 80hrs on it, I was told by salesman that it was used to spread salt with a 3pt spreader at a farmyard. They replaced all the mid-mount scvs because they were so rusted they wouldn't work and diff lock pedal wouldn't work. Maybe things to check while your in there also. I would wonder if maybe SulleyBear is right about the glove thing.

Reactions: SulleyBear

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hasn’t seen salt. I bought it locally here in NC. The shafts inside of the SCV seem clean and all works smoothly - it’s just those two parts. Very odd. No rust anywhere else on the machine.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Get your self a small bottle of Krud Kutter. It dissolves it all instantly and it will look like new.
This.

Then put some ATF in a spray bottle and spray any part you feel might rust

1 - 11 of 11 Posts