Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As so many of us have done I got to close to a tree and ripped off my rops tail light. Lucky for me it it broke off where the knurled nuts are embedded in the plastic. After seeing the $80 cost for a replacement? I figured there's got to be a way to fix it.

I searched the fourm and hadn't seen anyone with this fix so I figured I would post what I came up with. I removed both the red and yellow lenses and drilled all the way through the side with a 5/16 bit where the embedded nuts broke off . Be careful when drilling I hit the the lense screw mount and broke it off. It is now epoxied back in place. I also drilled out the nuts that broke off and orientated them back into place. I ran a 5/16 bolt through the rops side and put the nuts on inside of the light housing.

I used 2" bolts because that's what I had. 1 1/2 might work better, but my 1025r is a 2016 and has the additional bracket bolted to the rops to place the lights higher up. If your lights bolt directly to the rops 3 1/2" should work.

I wasn't planning on documenting this, but I did take a couple pictures. I think it's pretty self explanatory.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Saves 80$. Good idea. :thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a JD 3025e tractor which has very similar taillights, and took one off against a tree. Reading the above article lead me to take mine apart. I discovered that in addition to the 2 closely spaced holes, there are 2 more at 5.8" on center. Because I had destroyed the 2 original mountings, I did not do what PA Scut suggested but drilled new holes that use the wider holes. I cut the wires on both lights and mounted the right one on the inside left and vise versa. The lights are far more protected. They do slightly hamper view while backing, but at $85 and up per light, I am happier with the protection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a JD 3025e tractor which has very similar taillights, and took one off against a tree. Reading the above article lead me to take mine apart. I discovered that in addition to the 2 closely spaced holes, there are 2 more at 5.8" on center. Because I had destroyed the 2 original mountings, I did not do what PA Scut suggested but drilled new holes that use the wider holes. I cut the wires on both lights and mounted the right one on the inside left and vise versa. The lights are far more protected. They do slightly hamper view while backing, but at $85 and up per light, I am happier with the protection.
BTW, if I had known of the issue I could have switched the lights from outside the ROP bar to the inside with no drilling, just put the left light on the right inside and vise versa.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Great idea....wish my light broke so “nicely”
No it had to crack lens, and outside case....I had to spend $80.00
And yes inside rops now.

·
Registered
422 Posts
When I knocked mine off I couldn't put it back together - the bush hog took care of that.

Reactions: fdmars

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think I broke mine off the 2nd day I owned it. I just zip tied it back on. I should just take both of them off and was planning on it but I can see when my wife forgets to release Park brake when their on. She hasn’t figured out how I know and tell her to release the brake. She thinks I’m psychic. I haven’t told her how I know yet......

Reactions: jlpowell

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think I broke mine off the 2nd day I owned it. I just zip tied it back on. I should just take both of them off and was planning on it but I can see when my wife forgets to release Park brake when their on. She hasn’t figured out how I know and tell her to release the brake. She thinks I’m psychic. I haven’t told her how I know yet......
LOL

I removed mine to protect them. Now I’m putting them back on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts