Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've picked up my second thorn in my new 1025r, this time in a rear tire, which was WAY down this morning. Anyone put slime in these tires? I've done it for years in my riding mowers and works fine (these things aren't running at highway speed, lol).

Is it ok to just put slime in it and get back to work? I have a feeling this is going to be a thing...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
That’s gotta be some thorn to puncture an R4. I have zero experience with slime, but had a neighbor who did his quads with it and swore by it. If you got spiky pokeys, maybe look into foam filled if you can afford it. They will add some nice stability, and never go flat again. Your local tire shop should be able to give you a quote.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I like the John Deere tire sealant. It is non hardening and non corrosive. They also have a concentrate formula for fluid filled tires. I figure when I have them change a tire in the future that they will cry less because they sold it to me(most tire guys hate sealant because it makes a mess).

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I have used slime in most anything I mow with for years as I have problems with thorns from trees in a fence row. I did fix the first flat on my 1025r when I first got it but after another flat within 2 weeks I just went ahead and slimed both front tires. I've only ever had the problem with the small front tires so I've never used it in a rear tire but probably would try it if having the same problem with them.

We don't have a local tire shop so on my Kubota ZTR I had the dealer send the front tires and wheels out to have foam put in them but they were so out of balance when I got them back that it was almost unbearable to drive. Turns out the next model up from mine offered foamed front wheels/tires from the factory as an option so I put a set of those on it and have had no problems with it since.

·
Registered
145 Posts

If I remember correctly, Slime is only good for about 2 years.

I picked up a gallon of LiquiTube Premium for my fronts. It is supposed to be very good stuff, and good for the life of the tire. I saw it was well
recommended here on GTT. It was close to $70 though.

They also make a version for liquid ballasted tires as well.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I would avoid the slime and take the wheel off and take it to a tire shop to patch it if they can. I put slime in a riding mower tire years ago. I finally put new tires on, and the wheel with the slime had major flakes of rust on it. The other three rims still looked new. What a nasty mess that stuff made. I'll never use it again.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've picked up my second thorn in my new 1025r, this time in a rear tire, which was WAY down this morning. Anyone put slime in these tires? I've done it for years in my riding mowers and works fine (these things aren't running at highway speed, lol).

Is it ok to just put slime in it and get back to work? I have a feeling this is going to be a thing...

Thanks!
Yes I have used it, heck I have used self tapping screws which are still in. It works

2011 diesel 1026R mmm with FEL with WR long tooth bar, 4’ BB, Bush Hog, Land Rake and 25gal sprayer all on the imatch hookup.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I sell AmerSeal. Its much better than Slime brand or John Deere. Its a pretty think paste like consistency. Works really well.. I stopped selling JD brand and just AmerSeal.
Monster Seal is the same stuff just branded different.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I would avoid the slime and take the wheel off and take it to a tire shop to patch it if they can. I put slime in a riding mower tire years ago. I finally put new tires on, and the wheel with the slime had major flakes of rust on it. The other three rims still looked new. What a nasty mess that stuff made. I'll never use it again.
If I remember correctly, Slime is only good for about 2 years.
Maybe it's more difficult to plug a 6-ply R4 than a 4-ply ag tire, but I plugged the TruPower tires on my X748 when the Slime quit working. Never had a problem with leaks after that. It just wasn't worth the hassle and cost to take the tractor, or just the wheel/tire to a tire place and have them dismount the tire and either patch it or place a tube.

OP must have the same kind of thorn tree/bushes I have. The thorns are sharper than a sewing needle and stiff as a 20d nail. If you stick yourself, the tip invariably breaks off and festers under your skin. They are hard to kill, they sprout back through the roots. If I really hated someone, I'd seed their property with these things.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I have used Liquitube with excellent results on my tractor tires, my Zero turn, my garden tractor, generator cart, all sorts of tires.

I had an annoying slow leak in the 1025r front tires. GTT Member TreeFarmer suggested Liquitube and he was 100% correct. It solved the leaking issue and I have used it to fix a number of different tire issues since.

Comes in a nice container with the application tube and the tire valve tool under the 32oz size bottle cap. I ordered directly from the manufacturer and had it in a couple of days. Watch their video at the website, its actually realistic as I have seen this done with a neighbors mower tires and the sealant held pressure and fixed the puncture without doing anything......

https://liquitube.com/

·
Registered
134 Posts
Patch first then go with something like Tireject , AmerSeal or JD.

I run TireJect, my tire guys have no issue with it.

Quite using slime after I saw what it did to one of the rims on my wagon.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Maybe it's more difficult to plug a 6-ply R4 than a 4-ply ag tire, but I plugged the TruPower tires on my X748 when the Slime quit working. Never had a problem with leaks after that. It just wasn't worth the hassle and cost to take the tractor, or just the wheel/tire to a tire place and have them dismount the tire and either patch it or place a tube.

OP must have the same kind of thorn tree/bushes I have. The thorns are sharper than a sewing needle and stiff as a 20d nail. If you stick yourself, the tip invariably breaks off and festers under your skin. They are hard to kill, they sprout back through the roots. If I really hated someone, I'd seed their property with these things.
Please send seeds:mocking:

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
Foam filling is another option.

Slime will rot rims, and dry but it does work for a while. It looks like there are better options above if you go that route. If those thorns are going to be an issue be free to use mechanic in a bottle, and in the worst case you buy rims every 20 years.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hands down, foam is the best option. No more flats, good ride, no more checking pressures. No rusting of wheels. Rip off a valve stem in the woods? Who cares, foam don’t care. Provides superb ballast as well. I’m glad to see a couple other people recommending it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts

Thanks!
I slimed the front tires on the 4010. Have never had a flat on rear tires.

Ralph

·
Registered
44 Posts
Liquitube is an excellent product. I’ve used it in my semi tires. Will not rust the rim and in my case with aluminum rims which have corrosion issues at the tire bead, this was completely eliminated. It’s water soluble when it’s time to change the tires. Slime turns to jelly over time. I would be interested in the price of professionally foamed tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Thanks!
I had a slow leak and added Stan's No Tubes. Same principle as Slime. Works great. Check out bike shops or bike accessories at Amazon. I used this stuff for years when I used to ride. The trick is to keep the wheel turning to allow the liquid latex to be pushed into the puncture.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Slime and thorns

There's 40 acres of timber on my place, and quite a few thorny locust trees. They will easily go thru the front or rear R4's on my 1025R, or thru the sole of a good boot, for that matter. I put Slime in all four tires when I got the tractor. Whenever I get a bad puncture, I plug it, then hope the Slime acts as a little extra insurance. The tractor has over 1,300 hours on it now, and there's a dozen or more plugs in those tires. Neither the plugs nor the Slime will fix every single leak, but if they won't, a boot inside the tractor usually will.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I used Liquitube for the first time this evening. I had a slow leak in the front tire of my 1025R due to a nasty nail puncture. The prior land owner burned pallets in several different places. I never know where I'll find the next cache of blackened nails & staples.

So I'll include a photo of the tire. I was concerned the hole might be on the side and the product would not reach it so I removed the tire to tilt it.

I rolled the tire as fast as possible inside the shop. I think the stuff was well spread within the tire.

I put air in the tire and waited to see if the slow leak would be stopped. Well that was too slow. Since I'm impatient I pulled the nail out. Whoops. Flat tire very quickly.

I left the tire tilted and had a beer. After a beer I put 18 psi in the tire and it held for a bit but then went flat.

I had another beer.

After putting 20 psi in the tire it is now holding the air. Darn. This stuff actually works. Color me impressed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts