Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’ve been having trouble lately with the 260B on my 1025r. About half the time, I climb back there and the darn thing is SLOW. Boom, dipper, curl, the whole 9. It’s been driving me crazy and I thought I’d screwed up the hydro fluid change.

Come to find out, about half the time I parked the tractor, I was dropping the bucket with float and LEAVING IT in float mode. once I put two and two together, I pulled the front joystick back to center and the 260B immediately perked up.

What a difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
16,787 Posts
So if float mode is active on the loader valve, the backhoe operates slowly? I gotta think this one through...

:dunno:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,217 Posts
So if float mode is active on the loader valve, the backhoe operates slowly? I gotta think this one through...

Let us know as this is a first for me also.
I'd think it through but you have more time than me. Plus I wouldn't know where to start. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,800 Posts

This is interesting. I've never encountered this but then again I've never had a BH on a 1 series. Unusual. Then again I apply some down pressure to the FEL bucket to stabilize the rig when digging so float isn't being used.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yup, exactly. If I leave the loader in float, the BH runs at half-speed ( and power) or slower. The second that I pop the front joystick back to center, everything is fine again.

I can take some video this weekend when I can get back in the seat.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I'll have to keep this in mind, I also keep a little force on the fel for stability so have not experienced this.
Wonder if going into float exposes a vital pressure path of the power beyond to a return to tank curcuit?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

My guess is the fluid is not packed on one side or the other to hold cylinder behind valve, but free flowing through the valve and back to reservoir. Thereby robbing some of the pressure off the pump.:dunno:

·
Administrator
16,787 Posts
I'll have to keep this in mind, I also keep a little force on the fel for stability so have not experienced this.
Wonder if going into float exposes a vital pressure path of the power beyond to a return to tank curcuit?
My guess is the fluid is not packed on one side or the other to hold cylinder behind valve, but free flowing through the valve and back to reservoir. Thereby robbing some of the pressure off the pump.:dunno:
Yes, that is the answer right there...

Since this is a Open Center system, and everything is plumbed in series, leaving the FEL valve in float means full that pressure cannot build up the system to effectively operate downstream devices.

It's just strange that has never been discovered before, but I guess most don't float the FEL when using the hoe, but rather apply down pressure for stability as mentioned.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,217 Posts

Since this is a Open Center system, and everything is plumbed in series, leaving the FEL valve in float means full that pressure cannot build up the system to effectively operate downstream devices.

It's just strange that has never been discovered before, but I guess most don't float the FEL when using the hoe, but rather apply down pressure for stability as mentioned.
Thanks Dude. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Leave it to me to be the dummy :mocking: "In all the years of tractoring, the only dipstick to ever do this was scooterman":kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,217 Posts
Leave it to me to be the dummy :mocking: "In all the years of tractoring, the only dipstick to ever do this was scooterman":kidw_truck_smiley:
Dummy or not, I learned something. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Dummy or not, I learned something. :thumbup1gif:
Same here, I can understand why but never thought it would.
This could save me some puzzling when I'm tired out and baking in the sun one day.

·
Registered
110 Posts

the hydraulic fluid goes thru the loader valve 1st and uses the open center to allow fluid to go to the power beyond. if the fluid is being used by the loader to float there not much left for the backhoe
I have notice it also, when dropping the bucket to hold the tractor up I have accidentally got it in the float position.

·
Administrator
16,787 Posts
the hydraulic fluid goes thru the loader valve 1st and uses the open center to allow fluid to go to the power beyond. if the fluid is being used by the loader to float there not much left for the backhoe
I have notice it also, when dropping the bucket to hold the tractor up I have accidentally got it in the float position.
I'll disagree with this, the loader does not "use fluid" to float. Float simply means the two work ports are open to the OUT/Tank line so the cylinder(s) can move.

·
Premium Member
7,027 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
may be

I'll disagree with this, the loader does not "use fluid" to float. Float simply means the two work ports are open to the OUT/Tank line so the cylinder(s) can move.
t that may be true . but the fact is something in the valve does not allow full flow to pass on thru the body. which slows the backhoe down to a crawl if the bucket or boom is in the float position

·
Registered
601 Posts
So after I read this thread, I went out and tried to duplicate this problem. To be honest I couldn't tell any difference in speed when I put the loader in float mode. Now, I did not try digging with the hoe, I just moved it around to see if it was slower. Does the slow movement problem show up only under the load of digging? I have the 260B hoe.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I wonder if the same works for the older 260. And I wonder if I can use it to my advantage to overcome some of the jerkiness of the boom when I'm using it in a delicate situation where maximum control is called for... :dunno:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts