Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1025R that smokes on (cold) start.

I've had a new 2305 and a new 1026R. Neither of which have smoked on start. Its the same engine as the 1025R. What did they change? I spoke to my dealer and wrote a long letter to JD. I got zero help from either. However the dealer did say that "its emissions improvements". The 1023, 1025 & 1026 ARE THE SAME ENGINE!!!!!!
Why does one smoke terribly and the other ones won't? What did JD change, to derate the engine by 1hp?

My thought is either injectors, or something in the software. (ECM)

This issue pisses me off. There is no reason for it. I get thee whole "diesel is self igniting and the engine is cold" line of crap. If the same engine, rated 1hp more can do it, why can't mine?

Any help, suggestions, or insight will be greatly appreciated.

BTW.... I have tried cycling the key to allow the glow plugs to properly preheat. This makes no difference whatsoever.

John

·
Registered
671 Posts
I don't think the 1026R and the 1025R engines are the exact same engines. They have different parts and accessories and the Fuel Injection pump is what determines the Power of the engine, there is no ECM for controlling anything on either engine, they are all mechanical. The Dash Panel Computer just controls the Safety Systems and the instrumentation on the tractor. I would guess the Fuel Injection Pump is the issue and is probably working at the High or Low end of the tolerances.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Super Moderator
5,947 Posts
Owners of pretty much every model S/CUT that Deere has made in the last 40 years have complained on here at one point or another that their machine smokes on start up when it's cold.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
My 1025R 17' Vintage, smokes briefly when starting. - Black smoke is incomplete combustion/too much fuel. After about 2-4 seconds of puttering to life, the incomplete combustion clears and it runs basically smoke free. Basically smoke free = Can't say smoke free because before redirecting the exhaust away & up from forward there would be soot (again incomplete combustion) on the loader stand or back of the snow plow. Personally, so long as the smoking stops with 5-10s of starting, I wouldn't be concerned.

Edit: My tractor smokes like a coal fired steam engine once it's operator has fired up his obligatory cigar, while operating it.

·
Premium Member
16,952 Posts
I owned a 2210, two 2305 , a 1026 and now 1025 that is 5 yrs old. This one smokes more than the others. My SIL still has a 2305 , I started it this winter. Setting outside under a shed roof, and 20-25° temps or colder. Turned the key on left it do it thing waited for the light to go out. Hardly any smoke.
Came home turned the key on and off after full cycle on the 1025 . Glad I had the garage door open. Has done this since new.
No need to complain , JD IMO doesn't care, they sell these all day long ,everyday. They have a great product , and they know they do..
Sorry it is jut the way it is, you can always buy whatever , for me I like taking the mmm off and on in a couple of minutes, or installing the fel or bh in a few minutes and same for taking them off.

·
Registered
224 Posts
One puff and that's it. No more excitment than that.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Minimal to no smoke on mine. When it’s cold i cycle the glow plugs two cycles and no smoke.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Mine has a couple puffs in spring, summer, fall & winter on startup. No big deal. Makes it interesting.

·
Registered
101 Posts
it's a diesel engine... same as gas... they run rich on cold start up. hence the smoke. Perfectly normal. The colder the richer.. some smoke more, some smoke less.. but the bottom line colder weather equals richer tune...

Reactions: dixie460

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't think he's worried about smoking up the living room as much as wanting to make sure there isn't a problem.

My 2020 2025R smokes a lot more on a cold startup than my 2013 X754 does. I wondered a bit about it at first but figured it was due to different emissions tuning making it smoke less overall, or something like that. I have tried the multiple preheat cycles a few times and it seems to make it smoke more. I also plugged in the block heater overnight once and it still did the smoke puff in the morning. The heater was on the machine when my dealer had it brought in from another dealer in the network and it was free. I don't need it where I am since it rarely gets below 30º around here. The smoke doesn't bug me anymore, and even less after reading this, so it's good.

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
Colder air has more density so it causes a leaner mixture.

Cylinder temperature effects the efficiency of the burn, so a warmer cylinder will do better at completely burning the fuel it’s given, but that’s a different factor.

This is why you choke gas engines until they warm up, they are to lean with cold cylinders.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Why does it matter whether the engine smokes a bit on cold start? You cranking that thing up in your living room or something?
🤣

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1025R that smokes on (cold) start.

I've had a new 2305 and a new 1026R. Neither of which have smoked on start. Its the same engine as the 1025R. What did they change? I spoke to my dealer and wrote a long letter to JD. I got zero help from either. However the dealer did say that "its emissions improvements". The 1023, 1025 & 1026 ARE THE SAME ENGINE!!!!!!
Why does one smoke terribly and the other ones won't? What did JD change, to derate the engine by 1hp?

My thought is either injectors, or something in the software. (ECM)

This issue pisses me off. There is no reason for it. I get thee whole "diesel is self igniting and the engine is cold" line of crap. If the same engine, rated 1hp more can do it, why can't mine?

Any help, suggestions, or insight will be greatly appreciated.

BTW.... I have tried cycling the key to allow the glow plugs to properly preheat. This makes no difference whatsoever.

John
I bought a 2025r last year and it does the same thing. Acts like it’s running on 2 cylinders for the first 4 or 5 seconds. Bangs and blows black smoke something awful. dealer says nothing wrong. “The new ones just do that” I’m just hoping a rod comes through the block before it goes out of warranty. Yes, it sounds THAT BAD!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts